Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170812 times)

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
To you plants gurus.

Anyone have an educated guess as to whether  the Mexican Garcinias will fruit in California?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
To you plants gurus.

Anyone have an educated guess as to whether  the Mexican Garcinias will fruit in California?

it will fruit in CA...provided you don't let it freeze (below 25-27F, prolonged)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
I got a mexican garcinia last year and was 4 months old when i got it and now it just put out its 2 set of leaves

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 05:16:23 AM »
Have several trees in the ground all about 5 feet tall and growing happily.
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
I got a mexican garcinia last year and was 4 months old when i got it and now it just put out its 2 set of leaves

It's only putting out its second set of true leaves and is over 6 months?
How slow starting is mexican garcinia? Even some of my  mangosteens are putting out their second set of leaves and  they are 1.5months

I am excitedly awaiting seeds from Luc and can't wait to get them! I love opening theail box to find seeds I always drop everything to plant/bag them that minute:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 07:40:49 PM »
Garcinia sp. Mexico, 4 years old

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
today I took Luc's advice, and planted my 25 gal tree. (Garcinia vleerackerii  :D )

it was planted in some really heavy soil, and as a result, I couldn't get the root ball out of the pot without it falling apart....so I just planted it in the ground, in the pot.  I was afraid to plant it out, but when I heard Luc say, it can take a flood, I was no longer worried about it.  The spot it's in is a wet area...with rich acid soil...and it's close to the house, so I can run a heater and protect it if need be.

I'm excited to post an update with new growth later this year...I think it's close to fruiting size.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:15:37 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
Funny, I just plopped mine into the ground a couple of days ago too. Did notice that the roots aren't that vigorous and the rootball was flmsy. Mine is somewhere around 3.5 feet tall in the ground.

The ones I've grown have been pretty tough. Don't seem to mind much of anything: cold, drought, too much water. Tough little buggers.
Jeff  :-)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 02:04:51 AM »
Eish but these guys are slow from seed!
Achairachus that germinated the same time and under the exact same conditions have double the height and amount of leaves.
My largest one just greening up its third set of leaves which are double the size of the last teo but looks like its pushing a fourth set back to back :)
Some of my other ones are just as old but still sitting on the original 2 leave:(
Another one still only started with a solitary leaf off the bat. Another one is pushing its third set but the plant in general is tiny compared to others.

Is there alot of variation in this garcinia or is it pretty uniform when its past seedling phase?
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 05:42:35 AM »
Achairachus that germinated the same time and under the exact same conditions have double the height and amount of leaves.
My largest one just greening up its third set of leaves which are double the size of the last teo but looks like its pushing a fourth set back to back :)
Some of my other ones are just as old but still sitting on the original 2 leave:(
Another one still only started with a solitary leaf off the bat. Another one is pushing its third set but the plant in general is tiny compared to others.

Is there alot of variation in this garcinia or is it pretty uniform when its past seedling phase?

That's about right Stuart. They're slow as hell, which is the case for all garcinia but luc's is the slowest I've experienced.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 06:06:04 AM »

That's about right Stuart. They're slow as hell, which is the case for all garcinia but luc's is the slowest I've experienced.
Ok thanks Starling good to know this is natural and not something Im doing wrong!
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 06:38:03 AM »

Mangosteen and cherapu are definitely slower growing than Mexican garcinia.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 06:58:43 AM »
Mangosteen and cherapu are definitely slower growing than Mexican garcinia.

That not my case. Mangosten Master variety very vigorous by mangosteen standarts. About 2 feet tall after 15 months. Lots of thick foliage. Heck, i might even fruit it in 2 years :P. Local Sri Lankan mangosteens much slower growing. About the same speed as Mexican, which is train wreck in motion. Hard to judge on cherapu, because they are 5 months apart from Mecican, but seem to be much nicer looking with more dark green foliage.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »
Before I fried them in my growtent and an over ambitious 400watt HPS the mangosteen were much faster, for me anyway! Maybe thats only true when they are so young <1 year
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »
I just planted mine out yesterday. I gave it a sort of organic royal treatment. Lots of AACT activated biochar, greensand, azomite, lava sand, extra wormy worm castings, food scraps deep down, a little fish and seaweed emulsion, and mycorrhizae on the roots. You can see I like HEAVY layers of mulch. I bought this little guy from Flying Fox about 6 weeks ago and I left it out in full sun when I got home and it got some leaf burn. It is planted in full sun zone 9B in Sarasota, FL about 8 miles inland from the bay. If it is still struggling after it settles in I will try dropping the pH a bit. I'll post some progress photos later.

-Josh

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
I just planted mine out yesterday. I gave it a sort of organic royal treatment. Lots of AACT activated biochar, greensand, azomite, lava sand, extra wormy worm castings, food scraps deep down, a little fish and seaweed emulsion, and mycorrhizae on the roots. You can see I like HEAVY layers of mulch. I bought this little guy from Flying Fox about 6 weeks ago and I left it out in full sun when I got home and it got some leaf burn. It is planted in full sun zone 9B in Sarasota, FL about 8 miles inland from the bay. If it is still struggling after it settles in I will try dropping the pH a bit. I'll post some progress photos later.

You need some shade cloth asap. Was probably growing in a more filtered sunlight environment prior (in a greenhouse/hoop house).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »

You need some shade cloth asap. Was probably growing in a more filtered sunlight environment prior (in a greenhouse/hoop house).
Yeah, it definitely came straight out of the hoop house. It has already been blasted by direct full sun for six weeks so I figured the damage was done. It looks pretty happy besides the brown edges. If they brown up some more I'll put some shade cloth out. I wanted to test a full sun planting with a little plant but I should have hardened it off right away. It seems like the larger plants like full sun but many people keep these somewhat shaded.
-Josh

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »
Growing great here in central florida, i have most of them in full sun no burning so im guessing its the really dank soil i have them in that stays pretty moist but has good drainage, about 5.7-6.1 PH with every trace mineral, mushroom, microbes and their cousins. most germinated in a week or two but a few took a month to almost 3 months. The oldest is about 6 months old.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 12:39:09 AM »
Growing great here in central florida, i have most of them in full sun no burning so im guessing its the really dank soil i have them in that stays pretty moist but has good drainage, about 5.7-6.1 PH with every trace mineral, mushroom, microbes and their cousins. most germinated in a week or two but a few took a month to almost 3 months. The oldest is about 6 months old.

Nice! I like your style. Good to know the little guys are taking full sun close by.
-Josh

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
Glad to do say my plant has survived.  For a second it looked like a goner. Now it has resprouted from a bare green stem and has two leaves. 

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
Wow a Lucangosteen Anonymous Support Group, can I joint?😄

Here is 2014 seedling class a year ago! 

They were grown in partial sun in the juvenile stage where I find there growth more robust.  As you can see seedling grown on pure recycle mulch on worm cast, seaweed & age urine diet in a large diameter outperform those grown in a smaller pot with Miracle Grow Moist retention peat moss mix.  As you can see there are great genetic variations even in one class from 2014. 

both yearling 2014'was in a normal 3 gallon pot & a three gallon aeropot with peat moss soil mix & osmocote!

2011 seedling in Ground, it appears this is a natural dwarf.

worm caste

It appears the larger the diameter in its nursery pot and fed with organic substrate & organic fertilizer, it outperform the chemical & custom peat moss soiless mix.  Grown in our sandy soil, seeds were attack by grubs and seedling growth were slow or not as robust as in pot culture during their first three years juvenile phase.

Third year they should be plant out at this state they will explode in full Sun.  Luc point out they love Moisture and I notice fastest growth during cooler weather as compare of summer heat here in Boca Raton, Florida!  I should think these guys should be more happier in the Central Florida than here in South Florida base upon my limited experience so far with Lucangosteen!  I recall hearing a guy in Texas had his flowering fifth year; wondering did fruit  set?😃
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:06:04 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »
Coconut,

Very nice, I see you using superoots (airpruning) type containers and good organic fertilizers. I started using my own diluted fermented urine for the plants, it works out well. I just have to remember to restrict the salt intake and increase water consumption a couple days prior to using. I have been using Urine, Fish bone meal, and Sea Kelp powder for the NPK (getting great results).

I wanted to get into worm farming but have not got around to it yet. I will update with pictures soon from the FL house on how the in ground Luc's is doing. I also have a Luc's in container. So far plant seems really adaptable and great grower. Luc's is spreading around, this tree is not going to go extinct anytime soon. Hopefully can introduce more great genetics on this Garcinia sp. from the wild (before the area gets chopped down and farmed, like most suitable growing areas of the world).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
Coconut,

Very nice, I see you using superoots (airpruning) type containers and good organic fertilizers. I started using my own diluted fermented urine for the plants, it works out well. I just have to remember to restrict the salt intake and increase water consumption a couple days prior to using. I have been using Urine, Fish bone meal, and Sea Kelp powder for the NPK (getting great results).

I wanted to get into worm farming but have not got around to it yet. I will update with pictures soon from the FL house on how the in ground Luc's is doing. I also have a Luc's in container. So far plant seems really adaptable and great grower. Luc's is spreading around, this tree is not going to go extinct anytime soon. Hopefully can introduce more great genetics on this Garcinia sp. from the wild (before the area gets chopped down and farmed, like most suitable growing areas of the world).
Worm farming is easy, I go on line and fill out every catalog companies or company that send out catalogs. From construction industry to everything under the Sun.  Than the Postal Ladiy would put it on my front door, nice to live in a gated community were no one can steal your trash!  On trash night I take my four wheel dumpster cart and collected recycle paper & magazine bin thrown out with my HOA blessing.

Mixed the papers in a five gallon bucket & fill it half with water, then pee in their till half full.  Ghe Amonia will soften the cellulose.  After a week dump it tight under a favorite fruit tree.

box get walk over & moist by sprinkler , once you find worm feeding under neath ready to throw onder tree in layer. 

Burmese Blood SA

Duku

whitman fiberless

Phet Pakchong

Some people choose to put the paper in fancy worm box, I just use simple Redneck High Technology! No smell, a week later, lift up the pile, collect the worm caste for feeding Lucangosteen seedlings. Keep pile moist in no time of three-week the pile is gone.  Your Whitman fiberless would smile with setting fruit!  Cost you nothing for fertilizer, Postal system delivery the next batch to make.  Always ferment paper with urine & add water; doing this create practically no smell.  No HOA letter in 30 Years! Give home grown worm caste a try to make your Lucangosteen grow & shine like mine!🌟

Hope Luc can get me a batch for 2015 & maybe the phantom orange strain!😩
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:28:34 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:50 PM »
Luc, Do you have any Mexican Garcinia seeds to spare?

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
Thanks everyone Great information and pictures.
Here is our experience with the Luc's garcinia from last seasons seeds.  Mahalo Luc!!! At aunties house.  At first full sun..she got sunburned on third set of leaves...so we put our papaya taro circle around her...now she is happy :)...papayas are sexing time to thin out males and let the light in..in a few months we harvest the taro and lucangosteen will be boosting out of her shade temple. Also we put loafs of cooked horse poop on outer circle..even a few comfrey plants popped up in good spots around circle.

No they don't grow horizontal , the pics are sideways