Author Topic: School me on Annonaceae Family of fruit please?  (Read 1802 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
School me on Annonaceae Family of fruit please?
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:46:04 AM »
Hey Guys,

Before someone directs me to do so, yes I know there's a wealth of info out there on this forum, and I've tired to sift through, but there's really little introductory to get started in this family of fruit, and I'm pretty lost as to what the best options are...So that's why this post. Most of the conversation on the forum assumes previous experience with these fruit.

A little background first: growing up I was familiar with soursop, sweetsop and custard apple, and wasn't really fond of any. But reading these fruit forums makes me realize there's tons of other varieties out there, and I particularly like that these can produce fruit beyond the typical mango and lychee fruiting periods in the summer.

I'm ready to abandon all my citruses now and make space for something else.. I give up. Too much disease, pests, fungi etc.  Just not worth it anymore, and all the fruit they produce are compromised.

And I really don't want to go with yet another mango, lychee, sapodilla etc. Already have enough of those.

So talk to me about the custard apple family please...: When i hear you guys talk about annonas, rollinas, atemoyas, cherimoyas etc..I'm lost.

I'd like something pretty easy to manage, that wont grow too big, with sweet fruit and highly productive, and preferably fall/winter bearing.

What do you recommend, and especially for this area (South Florida)?

Also, is there any place locally to try any of these varieties that would have them now? Excalibur? PIN?

Thanks!
always longing for a JA Julie

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: School me on Annonaceae Family of fruit please?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:55:19 AM »
I would think you should find some one who has fruiting trees and try the fruit first, just so you don't waste time and money on something you don't like to eat. 

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
Dream atemoya is a tasty fruit, thrives in S FL,  and fruits heavily on it's own from October to April.  Can't go wrong with that one for our area!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:00:54 AM »
I would think you should find some one who has fruiting trees and try the fruit first, just so you don't waste time and money on something you don't like to eat.

Absolutely, I'd like to try first..i'll see if excalibur has any fruit..but I'm about to take out 6-8 citruses, so I'll have a lot of space freed up and won't mind putting in one plant on recommendation, if I can't get to try one first.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
Dream atemoya is a tasty fruit, thrives in S FL,  and fruits heavily on it's own from October to April.  Can't go wrong with that one for our area!

Great! I'll start to read up more on this one then

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk