Author Topic: Where's the rain?  (Read 6218 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Where's the rain?
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
Was trying to find an el nino topic to piggy back on instead of starting a new one..but anyway ...

Where's the rain? South Florida has been so hot and dry the past month to 6 weeks with no real rain in the forecasts.

Starting to worry about fruit drop, unfortunately schedule doesn't make it easy to get out to do regular watering.

I know we are still in the dry season but this seems a little drier and hotter  than usual.. El nino?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:53:10 AM by Jani »
always longing for a JA Julie

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Where's the rain?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
A few days over the past two weeks it was cloudy, in my area at least, no rain though.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »
I am just glad that it isn't June/July that is hot and dry (like last year when the "rainy season" wasn't rainy at all.  Could you set up a a sprinkler with timer?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »
It rained a few times at my location during the past 5-6 days.  It poured yesterday at my job in North Miami.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »
It's all here. My sisters house flooded and I've been breaking my back trying to help her and work... All the fruit trees I've given her are in large pots and seem to be doing okay now that they have had a chance to dry out a little, although I do wonder what they might have wicked up in the flood water.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »
It rained a few times at my location during the past 5-6 days.  It poured yesterday at my job in North Miami.

That's great, I've gotten nothing for a month a few miles west of you.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
It's all here. My sisters house flooded and I've been breaking my back trying to help her and work... All the fruit trees I've given her are in large pots and seem to be doing okay now that they have had a chance to dry out a little, although I do wonder what they might have wicked up in the flood water.

Sorry to hear what the folks in that part of the country are going through.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

That's great, I've gotten nothing for a month a few miles west of you.
payback for last year when the opposite occurred  :P ;)
~Jeff

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Lol true

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »

Unfortunately my rainy season hasn't started yet (south of Orlando) till almost the middle of June! Its always typically very dry, windy and hot for the months of April, May and half of June and sometimes even towards end of June before I see significant rain...Fingers crossed its at least a normal summer as far as rain goes...we need it here!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »
With 8" of rain in El Niņo year I can safely predict we'll get 2-3" of rain for the rest of 2016.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
Very nice soaking rain in St. Pete area last Friday evening and a brief shower than covered just
a few blocks (including mine) late yesterday afternoon.
Michael

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:35:38 PM »
Because of the jet stream...  it has been a "No Niņo" for SoCal.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:37:04 PM »
There has been no rain here beyond a few drops for a long time, and I don't expect any for several weeks yet. This is our dry season, and it has been like this every year for the past few years especially. The brush fires have started, as they do every year at this time. I am looking forward to the rainy season (which in recent years has unfortunately moved from Summer time to late Fall), and hopefully my plants will survive until then on what little I can help them with. So far, so good. But I have lost a bit of fruit and flowers. At least, the plants, and some of the fruit, are holding on. No actual plant loss yet. But it's rough, because I have a lot of new plants, and new seedlings. The winds at this time of year make it much worse, because as soon as you give water a wind blows through and it's like you never did anything. I look forward to having my rain catchment system completed by the end of this rainy season, so I can fully stretch my resources to easily supplement this time of year. But when the plants are better established, it won't be so bad.

Thankfully, my native plants are all doing quite well through the drought, and many are pushing flowers and fruit right through it as if it is no big deal. They're made to deal with harsh conditions, and I appreciate them all the more for it! Good thing, because parts of the yard are much too far away for me to supply additional water to. I'm getting beautyberries, blood berries, fiddlewood fruit, ground cherries, various coffee cherries, native red mulberry (which tastes almost identical to very ripe strawberry, I'm surprised to find!) etc. etc. etc. in abundance. And the purslanes are flowering stunning scarlet and magenta and purple, and the dollarweed that is new to my yard is happy, and both are great in salads and extremely valuable medically, so that's a good trade-off for the other plants being a little less cheerful. And of course, the drought only forces the bougainvillea (also edible) to bloom more, so that's a pretty way to compensate. In a few more months, they'll probably all have more rain than they can deal with. So I'll savor at least this moment when there are fewer mosquitoes, and no hurricanes to worry about, in the meantime.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
Even though we are 20 minutes from Orlando, we are typically drier than Orlando and the storms miss us. This dry season is no different, the few storms that have actually sprung up gave us nothing. I actually upped my watering times by 10 minutes on my irrigation to compensate for higher temps and low/no rain.

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:44 PM »
I think it's great that floridians have a dry season during mango blooming season.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 01:28:02 PM »
Yay! A Cool front is bringing some much needed rain on my fruit trees and plants...a much welcome sight. 1.5 inches so far and I think a little more on the way  ;D...hope most of you are getting it also.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:46:17 PM by puglvr1 »

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »
Supposed to get about  0.75 inches later today. If so, it will be the first downpour in about 10 weeks.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »
Well it finally got to me.
Regards,

Gary

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 04:18:37 PM »
It's comin' down, baby! 
John

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 05:37:51 PM »
My pool as a gauge says we had about 2-3 inches in West Davie. I can only wonder if the fruit will split.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
3.8 inches on May 4; a half inch a week before that. It's going to set off a growth spurt in the yard, and the lawn and ornamentals look very happy.
Downside: waiting to see if that downpour causes mango splitting.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
Wow!!! I received over 7" of rain in 6 hours last night!! Several more small mangoes dropping again...this season is looking a little bleak  :-\

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »
My nam doc averages about 1 split mango per day, during relatively dry weather. After last night's rain I expect
many more to split.

My Kent has dropped about 100 mangoes to date. Not too worried as there are still about 150 left on the tree.
Michael

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
Last night was insane. Around 3am it was like being in an artillery battle with the lightning and rain. Haven't looked at the yard but I assume we have more than a few small mango casualties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk