Author Topic: First (and only) Abiu Fruit and Rain Forest Plum  (Read 1246 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
First (and only) Abiu Fruit and Rain Forest Plum
« on: July 11, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »

Michael

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: First (and only) Abiu Fruit and Rain Forest Plum
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
Congrats! This tree is my elusive white whale. I’ve had no luck. Going to try a different approach soon

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 08:23:02 AM »
Congratulations!

Was this planted from seed if so how long did it take?

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »
Congratulations!

Was this planted from seed if so how long did it take?

Thanks!

I bought it from Abimael777 in January, 2016 and it was 26" tall. Have to admit that I didn't do much
with it for the first 2 years and more recently it really responded to a lower PH, liquid iron with micro nutrients and
Oscomote.
Michael

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »

Abiu is a the very top of my favorite fruit list. Great plants and easy to grow. I'm happy to know you can grow them in St. Pete. I assume you have to protect it from cold snaps? My abiu trees have lots of fruit on them now ... AND they are flowing already again. I wonder if  they will respond that prolifically in the St. Pete climate. I'm going to take some abiu seeds to my daughter in St. Pete when I visit next time for sure. Congrats!

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »

Abiu is a the very top of my favorite fruit list. Great plants and easy to grow. I'm happy to know you can grow them in St. Pete. I assume you have to protect it from cold snaps? My abiu trees have lots of fruit on them now ... AND they are flowing already again. I wonder if  they will respond that prolifically in the St. Pete climate. I'm going to take some abiu seeds to my daughter in St. Pete when I visit next time for sure. Congrats!

Hi Doug,

I doubt that my abiu will do as well as the ones in Costa Rica. Mine is in a large pot and did okay outside the past 2 winters (albeit temps didn't get too low this year). Can't wait to taste as all the reports are so positive. I recently bought some seeds from Bill (konaseeds.com) to grow and see how the ones from Hawaii taste.
Michael