Author Topic: Barbados Cherry  (Read 12695 times)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Barbados Cherry
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:46 PM »
Harvest some barbados cherry today. Cherry is sweet and delicious:)

RichardN

Sugartopfarms

• Clermont, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados Cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »
Look good. They are my favorite. I just picked up a bunch of trees.

I think I am going to make a windbreak with them.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
One of my favorite as well! I'm jealous of you guys. I have one growing in a container, for 2 years now, nothing, no flower, no fruits. Maybe all it needs is time? How old is yours?

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:04:59 AM »
How do you eat it? I had a small plant but the fruit was so annoying to eat that I eventually threw it out. The flesh clings very tightly to the seeds and there were numerous seeds. It was difficult to try to gnaw around the seeds and my cherry-pitting tool didn't work due to both the multiple seeds and the flesh clinging too tightly to them.

Do you just swallow the seeds? Or eat them before they're fully ripe when the seeds are reportedly somewhat soft? Or maybe my variety was inferior?

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:40:34 AM »
One of my favorite as well! I'm jealous of you guys. I have one growing in a container, for 2 years now, nothing, no flower, no fruits. Maybe all it needs is time? How old is yours?

I have my trees in a 45 gallon pot and it fruited. What size container is your tree in? I think if you were to repot the tree and use good soil it will produce fruit for you. Hope this help
RichardN

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03:21 AM »
How do you eat it? I had a small plant but the fruit was so annoying to eat that I eventually threw it out. The flesh clings very tightly to the seeds and there were numerous seeds. It was difficult to try to gnaw around the seeds and my cherry-pitting tool didn't work due to both the multiple seeds and the flesh clinging too tightly to them.

Do you just swallow the seeds? Or eat them before they're fully ripe when the seeds are reportedly somewhat soft? Or maybe my variety was inferior?
To eat it....you have to put it in your mouth...Lol.. I don't know what variety you have that  gives you a hard time eating it. My Barbados produce one small seed per fruit. The cherry is very close in size to the common cherry you get from the store. Here is a picture of the Barbados seed that I harvested 8 hours ago and compare next to a dime.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:57:29 AM by RichardN »
RichardN

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:21:40 AM »
The barbados cherry is about the same size as your common cherries. For the flavor and texture goes it's sweet, crispy, and just a little tart at the end. Very closely in flavor and texture to a black cherry you get from the store. One small seed per fruit and seed attached to flesh just like your common cherries. Some variety will produce more seed with same or different flavor and texture.
RichardN

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »
One thing I've discovered about barbados cherry is that nobody can agree about the flavour! Several people commented in the last thread of this sort I was in and nobody had the same opinion  ;)  Mine, to me, taste very floral, sort of reminiscent of carambola, except I don't like carambola but do like acerola. Sort of like eating a juicy, tasty rose. Nothing at all like a black cherry. And I don't pick them "crispy", I take mine when they're so soft that they're about to fall off on their own.

Just make sure you eat it immediately after picking. I find that their flavour dulls fairly quickly with time.

Yeah, the seeds stick to the flesh somewhat but not annoyingly so - less than many other fruits like, say, mango. No, you can't just chomp down a handful like you might with seedless grapes, but they're not that sort of fruit. 

NewGen: How big is yours and how big is your pot? They need to be fairly sizeable to fruit. That said, mine fruits in a pot in a room where it never sees the light of day.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:24:38 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »
One thing I've discovered about barbados cherry is that nobody can agree about the flavour! Several people commented in the last thread of this sort I was in and nobody had the same opinion  ;)  Mine, to me, taste very floral, sort of reminiscent of carambola, except I don't like carambola but do like acerola. Sort of like eating a juicy, tasty rose. Nothing at all like a black cherry. And I don't pick them "crispy", I take mine when they're so soft that they're about to fall off on their own.

Just make sure you eat it immediately after picking. I find that their flavour dulls fairly quickly with time.

Yeah, the seeds stick to the flesh somewhat but not annoyingly so - less than many other fruits like, say, mango. No, you can't just chomp down a handful like you might with seedless grapes, but they're not that sort of fruit. 

NewGen: How big is yours and how big is your pot? They need to be fairly sizeable to fruit. That said, mine fruits in a pot in a room where it never sees the light of day.

What do you mean by fairly sizeable? Mine started fruiting in a 3 gallon with a 1/2 inch trunk diameter. It was grown from a cutting I think though.

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 08:56:40 AM »

Hi sugar top. We must be neighbors so to speak. I'm in Clermont too. Where did you find your trees?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »

Hi sugar top. We must be neighbors so to speak. I'm in Clermont too. Where did you find your trees?
This is a great aquisition!

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »
Look good. They are my favoe. I just picked up a bunch of trees.

Yes. I wish I would have gotten some sooner.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
Look good. They are my favoe. I just picked up a bunch of trees.

Yes. I wish I would have gotten some sooner.
Yes it's great. But i still don't have it...  :-\

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »

Lady Lake HD had them in 3gall (and M.Lychee) a couple of weeks ago.

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »

Lady Lake HD had them in 3gall (and M.Lychee) a couple of weeks ago.

That's close enough.  Sometimes the box stores surprise. Last year HD had strawberry guava, that produced (looking for more, yum) and this year found Asian white guava with blossoms at Lowe's. They also have lots of m.lychee but I'm looking for a sweetheart.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »
Hi,
Some asked me to post a photo. The size of the container is 7-gallon. I kept it in a heated greenhouse over the winter. There are some new leaves now. I think it may be a fertilizer issue that's preventing mine from fruiting. What do you guys think?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
Hi,
Some asked me to post a photo. The size of the container is 7-gallon. I kept it in a heated greenhouse over the winter. There are some new leaves now. I think it may be a fertilizer issue that's preventing mine from fruiting. What do you guys think?

You will likely never get a Barbados cherry from that tree...

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »
Hi,

You're saying that what I have is not Barbados Cherry?  :o

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »
It's a jaboticaba.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »
Oh damn, thanks for pointing that out. So now that it's a jabo, will it be a loooong time fur any fruits from this little guy?

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »
Yes. Years.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 04:04:12 AM »
There will be a fruit long from now, but not the one you're after.  :D

Will be a better one though!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
To get fruit, flood the tree.  I have a tree that is out on my easement that gets zero care. It is hurtin' fer certain'.   But, when I get a ton of rain, flooding rain, it will fruit.  I have another one growing in full shade under a live oak that will fruit in the summer when the sun angle hits it better.  I also have a weeping dwarf barbados cherry that is grown as an ornamental.    For the Central Florida people, the Brevard Tropical Fruit Club is coming up at the end of April. Google it for more info.  Pine Island Nursery is the vendor and there will be B.Cherry for sale. 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
To get fruit, flood the tree.  I have a tree that is out on my easement that gets zero care. It is hurtin' fer certain'.   But, when I get a ton of rain, flooding rain, it will fruit.  I have another one growing in full shade under a live oak that will fruit in the summer when the sun angle hits it better.  I also have a weeping dwarf barbados cherry that is grown as an ornamental.    For the Central Florida people, the Brevard Tropical Fruit Club is coming up at the end of April. Google it for more info.  Pine Island Nursery is the vendor and there will be B.Cherry for sale.

Has the Brevard Tropical Fruit Club considered using Excalibur as a vendor to their sale? I think they may have much more variety than Pine Island and it's much closer.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 11:17:26 AM »
Hi,

Sheehan,

Are u sure about that?   :P

Maybe newgen got the tree from this guy in Brazil?

http://youtu.be/hJIt55gKgJs
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:48:56 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk