Author Topic: Citrus daoxianensis (Daoxian wild mandarin)  (Read 604 times)

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
Citrus daoxianensis (Daoxian wild mandarin)
« on: February 11, 2024, 07:57:16 AM »
I like citrus fruits that have a rough or corrugated skin. I noticed this daoxianensis mandarin has very rough skin, but I can't find much about it online.

Does anyone have this cultivar?

This might be it, but the fruit in the picture has a very smooth skin so I'm quite unsure if it's the same cultivar https://myplantbox.de/en/different-citrus-type/52-daoxian-wild.html

This is where I found it:

Botanical Monographs. Jardín Botánico de la Universitat de Valčncia
Volume 2: Citrus

It's hard to see in this low resolution, but I have the print version, which is higher quality, and there you can see that each fruit on the tree is quite rough and bumpy.

Jibro

• Czech
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus daoxianensis (Daoxian wild mandarin)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 09:00:53 AM »
I have Daoxian Wild from Adavo grafted on Citrumelo for about 4 years. It has small fruits 2-3 cm, 10-15g, but they ripen late, When it flowered at the end of April, the fruits were still green in December, I picked them in March fully colored.
The skin is not as bumpy as in your picture, the taste is different from normal mandarins, not too sour as I would expect from a wild mandarin and quite good.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 09:28:58 AM »
I have Daoxian Wild from Adavo grafted on Citrumelo for about 4 years. It has small fruits 2-3 cm, 10-15g, but they ripen late, When it flowered at the end of April, the fruits were still green in December, I picked them in March fully colored.
The skin is not as bumpy as in your picture, the taste is different from normal mandarins, not too sour as I would expect from a wild mandarin and quite good.

Interesting, maybe the bumpy skin only happens in a warm climate? Maybe I will try to email the University and ask them about this rough / smooth skin variation.

Lauta_hibrid

• Argentina, Buenos Aires, La Plata 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 10:43:48 AM »

I had not read much about this mandarin, but it seems strange to me that they have given it a scientific name if in reality it is only a wild regional variation... in citrus I see that investors grow a mandarin in the yard and they already name it as a new species 🤦, but well, their tricks to feel important.  Here is the investment of these mandarins and others that are in the region... here are complementary images showing those harvested for the study.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 01:35:25 PM »
Peep, I have a mandarin that has the bumpiest skin I have seen, it is called Gold Nugget. My tree is large, has lots of seedless fruits. This year it is my best tasting citrus fruit for me. I grow many varieties and I can tell you there is no other fruit that has more bumpy skin than this one that is editable. The other fruits that also have some bumpy skin is the Pomderosa lemon and bizzarria.

Her's some Gold Nugget from my tree.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:15:18 PM by sc4001992 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 03:19:30 PM »
I once grew the Bizzarria , but eventually replaced it with a grapefruit.  As Bizzarria is not eatable.  I originally got the tree from Lazz.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 01:46:50 PM »
As far as I remember, there is confusion with Citrus reticulata "Daoxian wild" and Citrus daoxianensis. Do not confuse them.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 07:54:22 PM »
As far as I remember, there is confusion with Citrus reticulata "Daoxian wild" and Citrus daoxianensis. Do not confuse them.

The publication itself says Daoxian wild is the common name for Citrus daoxianensis. Is your suspicion that the publication is wrong to think Daoxian wild refers to Citrus daoxianensis? Or that the nurseries selling Daoxian wild are incorrectly using this name?

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 01:30:37 PM »
WOW!  What rootstock is it grafted onto?

Peep, I have a mandarin that has the bumpiest skin I have seen, it is called Gold Nugget. My tree is large, has lots of seedless fruits. This year it is my best tasting citrus fruit for me. I grow many varieties and I can tell you there is no other fruit that has more bumpy skin than this one that is editable. The other fruits that also have some bumpy skin is the Pomderosa lemon and bizzarria.

Her's some Gold Nugget from my tree.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 11:19:04 AM »
The publication itself says Daoxian wild is the common name for Citrus daoxianensis. Is your suspicion that the publication is wrong to think Daoxian wild refers to Citrus daoxianensis? Or that the nurseries selling Daoxian wild are incorrectly using this name?
I remember that there were two species of C. reticulata and C. daoxianensis, and they were both called "Daoxian wild". And this confusion was even in scientific articles. To answer you thoroughly, I will need to find and re-read these articles again. Unfortunately, there is no time at all now, I haven't even visited the forum here for a week... I will try to answer in more detail and with links later.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 06:50:30 AM »
I remember that there were two species of C. reticulata and C. daoxianensis, and they were both called "Daoxian wild". And this confusion was even in scientific articles. To answer you thoroughly, I will need to find and re-read these articles again. Unfortunately, there is no time at all now, I haven't even visited the forum here for a week... I will try to answer in more detail and with links later.

Don't worry about it. Good to know there is the possibility of two cultivars.
I wasn't too interested anymore after the pictures of the cultivar from Adavo / myplantbox don't show rough skin, but I might contact the University or IVIA to see if they are able to share scions from their version.