Author Topic: Need some advise on a mango tree  (Read 3559 times)

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
Need some advise on a mango tree
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
For some of you, you have had the opportunity to try some of the new mango trees. Juicy Peach, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Coconut cream, and Pina Colada mango.
What I would like to know from you all is any of these mango trees able to be kept small? I would like to be able to keep it at around 6 to 7 foot tall at max incase it gets cold so I can cover it. Do some of these mangos really taste like coconut? I like a mango that is sweet but has that tang of citrus.
I look forward to your recommendations, Thanks Guy's.

Joe.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Re: Need some advise on a mango tree
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:12:16 AM »
For some of you, you have had the opportunity to try some of the new mango trees. Juicy Peach, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Coconut cream, and Pina Colada mango.
What I would like to know from you all is any of these mango trees able to be kept small? I would like to be able to keep it at around 6 to 7 foot tall at max incase it gets cold so I can cover it. Do some of these mangos really taste like coconut? I like a mango that is sweet but has that tang of citrus.

Joe.

I have around 30 mango trees in my yard, including Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Coconut Cream, and Pina Colada.  I am about 10 miles inland, so it is humid and more prone to anthracnose, which substantially affects productivity.  Coconut Cream tastes like Coconut Cream pie, but I had two harvestable mangos last year, so I can't recommend it.  I am planning on topworking (changing to a different variety) my Pineapple Pleasure and Pina Colada.

If dwarfing is a major concern, I suggest looking into Pickering and Angie.  Pickering is difficult to determine when the fruit is properly ripe.

This is a Pickering planted in 2012.  Picture taken on 3/7/2015.  Tree is about five foot tall.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:43:17 AM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »
Some mangoes do have hints of citrus and coconut.  If you are looking for small tree then some are better than others at managing space. Ultimately you can trim most any mango tree to be small if putting in the ground. Container growing is more specific and not all are suited for this type of lifestyle.  Here are a couple ideas for each type:
In ground - Coconut cream, lemon zest, sweet tart
Container - Pickering, Angie, Venus

-Craig

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »
If you are brave and resourceful enough to plant in the ground and do the covering up for frost..... Then you are clever enough to trim any mango tree the way you like. Maybe get some of the mangoes that tend small and bushy (like Pickering) but for the others get whatever you like. Or get 100% exactly what you like and plan on trimming and pruning.

Trimming to keep mangoes at 7ft high will not take much time each year. You won't even need a ladder. Keeping a 20-30 ft mango tree pruned and trimmed is the problem where it takes time each year or each other year
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:31:14 AM by zands »

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »
Thanks All for the replies so far. I have a 11year old Pickering in the ground, and a Mahachoonk next to it. I have a Angie at the grove on Merritt Island. I didn't care for the taste but the tree is still young. Has anyone tried the Juicy Peach mango yet? Or how about the sweet tart Mango?
I also need to post some pictures of my Pickering, It's been in the ground now for 11years and has only flushed 1 time since I bought back when. the production has been great every year(16-24 mangos) but just has never grows in height.

Joe.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest are vigorous upright growers and will be very difficult to manage at the size you are looking for.  Juicy Peach  is good but not in the same league as the others you mentioned.   Coconut Cream would be the easiest to maintain at a smaller size.
- Rob

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:43:53 PM »
Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest are vigorous upright growers and will be very difficult to manage at the size you are looking for.  Juicy Peach  is good but not in the same league as the others you mentioned.   Coconut Cream would be the easiest to maintain at a smaller size.

Rob,

What do you think of the pineapple pleasure? And what does the coconut cream taste like.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

Rob,

What do you think of the pineapple pleasure? And what does the coconut cream taste like.

Coconut Cream has a distinct taste of coconut,  like the flavor of a coconut cream pie.  It is a very sweet mango.

Pineapple Pleasure is a fairly large growing tree.  The fruit are large, in the 2+ pound range.  It has a very distinct acidic pineapple taste.  Some love it yet so n e feel it is overly acidic for a mango.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
Do some of these mangos really taste like coconut?

CC does. Pina Colada too when its on the riper side.

What I would like to know from you all is any of these mango trees able to be kept small? I would like to be able to keep it at around 6 to 7 foot tall at max incase it gets cold so I can cover it

No. You're going to have a difficult time keeping these trees both under 7 feet and productive in the long run. Twice that height is perhaps more realistic.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »

Joe.

I have around 30 mango trees in my yard, including Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Coconut Cream, and Pina Colada.  I am about 10 miles inland, so it is humid and more prone to anthracnose, which substantially affects productivity.  Coconut Cream tastes like Coconut Cream pie, but I had two harvestable mangos last year, so I can't recommend it.  I am planning on topworking (changing to a different variety) my Pineapple Pleasure and Pina Colada.

If dwarfing is a major concern, I suggest looking into Pickering and Angie.  Pickering is difficult to determine when the fruit is properly ripe.

This is a Pickering planted in 2012.  Picture taken on 3/7/2015.  Tree is about five foot tall.

Wow!! Great looking Pickering, its loaded, Congrats!!!

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »
I am on the same boat as far as trying to keep smaller varieties or "dwarf" varieties. The advice and trees I have gotten so far are cogshall, carrie, fairchild, coconut cream, pickering, and lemon meringue.  The lemon meringue if I have been paying attention is my most vigorous grower and planted it furthest from the house in the back corner of the yard. I am not looking for the heights you mentioned excepted for my carrie, cogshall and pickering. The others I am looking to keep about 10 ft max by about 12ft circumference, my challenge will be keeping them pruned inward.  The others my goal is large bush like, like in the Fairchild pruning mango videos.  To think I started this new hobby last year with no mango trees LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk