Author Topic: Myrciaria cuspidata or what?  (Read 13737 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Myrciaria cuspidata or what?
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
Oscar, have you seen that guy in a blue dress that comes up when you google search the word "Plinia" ?  (I know you know what I'm talking about!  :D )

haha, and every once in a while, when I search for videos of jaboticaba, i get a video of a Brazliian exotic dancer who has stage name is "jaboticaba" ...lol not even kidding...this problem used to be more prevalent, but now there are actual videos of jaboticaba.

(and searching for Eugenia, the autotype fills in the word for you as Eugenics!)

what a crazy world we live in today! HAHA!

Miguel...sorry I just realize how I defaced your thread...I will shut up now...sorry for the unsightly derail!

Ya I know Helton not a botanist, more of a collector, he is just one person I can think of that only uses the name plinia...I read in the Brazilian fruits books that some botanists call them all plinias, (under the descritption of M aureana page 217)

and from what I can gather,

It's definitely a subject of debate!

Eugenia, plinia, myrciaria can all look the same!!

Yes a subject of debate. But what isn't? Important thing is that currently plinia, myrciaria, and eugenia are all recongnized by taxonomists as being separate genus. (BTW, it's taxonomists that call the shots, not botanists.) Maybe later they will be lumped together. The lumpers seem to have sway over the splittist currently in taxonomy.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 04:29:10 AM »
I think it could be also variety of m. cuspidata as in H. Lorrenzi book vol.3 only the cuspidata have pointy leaves and also he is writing that the fruit could be orange or black (might be understood as dark red?)
Daniel

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
So I think we've established that it's not M. floribunda, and there are a few inconsistencies between it and M. tenella.

Congrats

Doesn't look like tenella (it's bark peels in an unusual manner, peeling in long strips)

Definitely not floribunda...which has more glabrous leaves...

I will have to research some of the more unusual species to find a match...but I'm not too confident that I can positively ID this plant.
To me the bark seems very much like those of the Sabarás.
The leaves are very small and look much different to the leaves of M. tenella or M. floribunda I've seen on Lorenzi's blue book.
Miguel...

although I think your tree could still be a form of tenella, there is a voice inside my head that says:

I know someone growing the true M. tenella, and it is anything but precocious,t takes a while to finally fruit... the bark peels in long thin strips...and the foliage does look a bit different than yours.

also, M. tenella is a very tall tree, over 30-35 ft if I'm not mistaken.  I do not think it would fruit at such a small size and early age.

My - inexperienced - two cents: I'm with sanitarium. I think it's a color morph of M. cuspidata. Apart from the color, the fruit looks similar. And there were definite yellow fruits in the original package. Plus, the leaves look similar, and Miguel's experience is consistent with the info. on this page:

* http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/myrciariacuspidata.htm

+ translation - https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/Frutos%20esf%C3%A9ricos%20de%20cerca%20de%202%20cm%2C%20de%20casca%20amarela%20e%20levemente%20aveludada%2C%20com%20uma%20pequena%20semente%20(ver%20a%20primeira%20foto)%20e%20agrad%C3%A1vel%20sabor%20doce%3B%20apesar%20de%20semelhantes%20aos%20da%20conhecida%20cabeludinha%20(Myrciaria%20glazioviana)%2C%20s%C3%A3o%20superiores%20aos%20%C3%BAltimos%20pelo%20rendimento%20de%20polpa%20muito%20maior%20(a%20cabeluda%20possui%20sementes%20muito%20grandes).%20A%20%C3%A1rvore%20%C3%A9%20de%20pequeno%20porte%2C%20de%202-3%20m%20no%20m%C3%A1ximo%2C%20com%20folhas%20brilhantes%20na%20face%20superior%20e%20pilosas%20no%20verso.%0A%0AUsos%3A%20Deliciosa%20para%20consumo%20ao%20natural%2C%20%C3%A9%20tamb%C3%A9m%20de%20%C3%B3tima%20aplica%C3%A7%C3%A3o%20ornamental%20pela%20delicadeza%20de%20formas%20e%20folhagem.%20Apropriada%20para%20vasos%20e%20pequenos%20espa%C3%A7os.%20Observe%20na%20segunda%20imagem%20como%20ficou%20harmoniosa%20ao%20lado%20de%20uma%20varanda.%0A%0ACultivo%3A%20Climas%20tropicais%20e%20subtropicais%2C%20em%20grande%20variedade%20de%20solos%2C%20desde%20arenosos%20(como%20em%20seu%20habitat%20natural)%20at%C3%A9%20argilosos%20e%20ricos%20em%20mat%C3%A9ria%20org%C3%A2nica.%20Plantar%20sempre%20a%20pleno%20sol%2C%20pois%20%C3%A0%20sombra%20a%20produ%C3%A7%C3%A3o%20de%20frutos%20diminui%20bastante.%20Crescimento%20moderado%2C%20por%C3%A9m%20j%C3%A1%20frutifica%20desde%20pequena.%0A%0AOrigem%3A%20Restingas%20na%20regi%C3%A3o%20da%20Costa%20do%20Sol%2C%20no%20Estado%20do%20Rio%20de%20Janeiro.%0A%0AFam%C3%ADlia%3A%20Myrtaceae.%0A%0AObserva%C3%A7%C3%B5es%3A%20Praticamente%20desconhecida%20em%20cultivo%20fora%20de%20sua%20regi%C3%A3o%20de%20origem%2C%20esta%20esp%C3%A9cie%20permaneceu%20muitos%20anos%20na%20obscuridade.%20Possui%20estreito%20parentesco%20com%20a%20cabeluda%20(Myrciaria%20glazioviana)%20e%20o%20cambuc%C3%A1-da-praia%20(Myrciaria%20strigipes).

An extra pic:
* http://www.ufrgs.br/fitoecologia/florars/open_sp.php?img=11824

If anyone knows how to shorten that obscenely long link, lemme know.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:47:59 PM by Caesar »

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »
Miguel , comparing the form of the leaves of my tenella it is different than your plant . Mine is exactly like the leaves of tenella in E-Jardim ’s page . My seeds did not come from Marco .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
Hello Luc

The more I read about it the more I think I have stepped on a "red fruit" Myrciaria cuspidata... from what I saw in the Lorenzi book "Brazilian trees" vol.3, the M. tenella and the M.multiflora are more tree like, and the M. cuspidata is more bushy... well mine does look more of a busk than a tree...

and I could swear that there were yellow fruits on that seed package back in 2009... hope my memory is not playing tricks on me!

But there is one final test to do... in fact I have two plants from the same seed batch and only one fruited so far... in terms of leaves and general look they are very similar... let's wait and see the colour of the fruits of the second one... I will report here ASAP... stay tuned!

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »
Hi Miguel, congrats, it sound very good and I like the fact that it's easy to extract the seed

I think it should be a red m. cuspidata (not taxonomist at all, but I know that there could be a lot of variation on these kind of species, even from a yellow fruit)

For instance, if you sow 100 black e. uniflora seeds, 70 will be black, 20 red and 10 orange, as I read in a scientific report.
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 12:05:31 PM »
It's been about a month since I received and planted the seeds (approximately; it's a safe bet, though I don't remember the EXACT date). The first shoot was visible on July 9. I'm not sure how moist-media transportation (for several weeks) plays into germination time, but disregarding that, germination time is approximately 1 month.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
some seedlings from Miguel's plant...they're hanging on, trying to sprout back...had a little die back, maybe from too much water?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:56 PM »
A man in a blue dress isn't quite as extreme as the result you get when typing in 'big cabeluda'. I learned the hard way.

Oscar, have you seen that guy in a blue dress that comes up when you google search the word "Plinia" ?  (I know you know what I'm talking about!  :D )

haha, and every once in a while, when I search for videos of jaboticaba, i get a video of a Brazliian exotic dancer who has stage name is "jaboticaba" ...lol not even kidding...this problem used to be more prevalent, but now there are actual videos of jaboticaba.

(and searching for Eugenia, the autotype fills in the word for you as Eugenics!)

what a crazy world we live in today! HAHA!

Miguel...sorry I just realize how I defaced your thread...I will shut up now...sorry for the unsightly derail!

Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 10:26:20 PM »
lol..there's two L, in cabelluda

makes a big difference if you leave one out!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 04:56:14 AM »
A man in a blue dress isn't quite as extreme as the result you get when typing in 'big cabeluda'. I learned the hard way.

Sure! Cabeluda is less hairy than Valderrama!! ;D
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VF3rOkeApBU/hqdefault.jpg
https://milleonaria.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/valderrama.jpg?w=580

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »
Hey Cassio,
As a speaker of Portuguese can you tell me what all this is about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Z-KUQZvOw
I got from Google Translate that she is "Woman fruit bread". I think the host says 'jabuticaba' at the start.
Let's just say the Liberal Agenda has reached Brazil too...
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 09:38:47 PM »
Hey Adam, I have the exact same leaf shapes as yours, all normal leaf then one with the cup type leaves of the third photo. They take forever to get going don't they. I ended up having them tip burn as soon as they got about 5mm long then I whacked a bag over the top of the pot and the humidity kept the fine growing tips green and healthy.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 12:54:37 AM »

I think I was inspired by the spelling on your website, ::) also you spell cherry of the rio grande with one 'r'!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 02:08:49 AM »
lol...thanks for the correction!  that is ironic!

I still need to update that darn website!!!

hahaha!

I think I was inspired by the spelling on your website, ::) also you spell cherry of the rio grande with one 'r'!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
Hey Adam, I have the exact same leaf shapes as yours, all normal leaf then one with the cup type leaves of the third photo. They take forever to get going don't they. I ended up having them tip burn as soon as they got about 5mm long then I whacked a bag over the top of the pot and the humidity kept the fine growing tips green and healthy.

Giving an update on mine here. Mine had some tip burn, and one outright died and re-sprouted. Soon as I read this comment, I did the same with the bag and it seemed to work. But they never really grew much at all after that, despite some minor branching. They stayed around an inch in length, and I kept diligent vigil over humidity and shade. Eventually (just last week), one of 'em just dried up in-bag, no warning, despite shade, heavy rain, high humidity and moist soil, plus the bag. The other one started showing tip burn as well, and I thought "What the hey, if I'm gonna lose it anyway, let's take off the bag to see if it'll get better". Heavy tip burn the next day, and by now it's already dead.  :'( :'( :'( That was my last one, and one of my more anticipated species to boot. How sensitive is this species? I kind-of expected it to be hardier, and I coddled it despite that. Is it some ambient factor? What does it take to get it to a size that doesn't require as much coddling just to keep it alive?