Author Topic: A Mandarin Worth Considering  (Read 1770 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
A Mandarin Worth Considering
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
The Gold Nugget Mandarin which is a sweet tasting UCR variety, is in my opinion a mandarin worth considering.  I ordered a Gold Nugget tree from 4-Wind Growers, and immediately liked it so much, I called Bay Floral and purchased a second one. They are turning out to be a good variety to grow. Being a mandarin they do well  either in the ground or in containers.  Both of my trees are container grown. They are a vigorous, fast growing tree, are seedless, even when grown in mixed company, and thankfully a late season maturing variety. Grown well you can expect 3 to 5 flushes of new growth per year.  What is different about this particular tree, is that its fruit does exceptionally well when left hanging on the tree even into late summer while still keeping its good  quality. Its late season maturing fits well with the early satsuma  Xie Shan, and the mid season mandarin Tango.  Xie Shan is ready from September to Christmas, followed by Tango January to March, and then Gold Nugget from March through August (due to its fruit's long keeping ability).  With just these three trees your family can have fresh fruit year around. - Millet
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:26:26 PM by Millet »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: A Mandarin Worth Considering
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
Awesome ! Thanks Millet. Tom

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: A Mandarin Worth Considering
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
I have one with about 8 little mandarins that I look forward to tasting. I actually made a huge rookie mistake with this tree! When transplanting it, I bare-rooted the tree and the weight from the tree squished the roots in the new air root container. It was in awful shape for over a year and i thought the roots were damaged permanently; fortunately, this winter in the greenhouse is started flushing like crazy and it gave me the 1st fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk