Author Topic: Good spray bottle  (Read 1074 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Good spray bottle
« on: November 18, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »
My mango is heavily infested with scale. I treated with AzaSol, but the spray bottles kept getting clogged. Can anyone recommend a spray bottle that actually works?

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Good spray bottle
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
I think you need something more powerful than a spray bottle.  Pump sprayers, even inexpensive ones, would probably work better at getting the product to the tree. Also I am not sure how well AzaSol will work on scale as I am not familiar with it.  If it is working for you and you just need a different sprayer, try a pump sprayer as it will force product through better.  If you don't want anything large there are also small bottles, about 16 oz or so that have a pump on the top which might be an option.  You can even regulate the spray to some degree with those. 

Also, regardless of what route you select, be sure to drain the container and run plain water through it after each use.  Many chemicals for plants tend to leave a residue within the moving parts if allowed to dry out.

For years I had been using a tank sprayer and considered a backpack sprayer. Due to my age and decreasing ability to maneuver, coupled with the number of fruit trees and other plants I continue to acquire and plant, I opted to buy a larger battery powered unit to use from the back of my carryall a couple of months ago.  One of the best changes I could have made. 

Hope this helps and best of luck with your Mango!

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 02:17:22 PM »
@Jagmanjoe

Any insight on your battery powered sprayer, make/model. I've been looking for a good one and it seems you like yours, thanks!

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 03:57:56 PM »
johnnym33315, I purchased mine from a a chain called Rural King up in Zephyrhills.  It is a Country Way 15 gallon tank with a 1 GPM Everflo pump for $59.99.  The sprayer on mine was not the best as it leaked at the crimped fitting and I cut the crimped fitting off and used a better clamp temporarily.  Then I upgraded to a Valley Industries spray gun off of Amazon for an additional $23 and that pretty much made a huge difference.  Years ago I had some experience with Everflo pumps and was very happy so this is now a pretty complete system for me.  I went out the last night to just hit a couple of tomato plants so I went back to my old pump sprayer and I couldn't get close to the output of the new unit.  Glad I was only doing a couple of small plants.

When I happened on the Country Way unit, I had been looking for a used setup and was not finding anything new or used for under $125.  Great unit if you recognize in advance the spray wand issues.

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »
@Jagmanjoe

Thanks for your input! $60 to not have to manually pump, cant go wrong. I like upgraded wand!

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 12:34:32 AM »
The last time I had a scale infestation on a plant I really wanted to save, I used an old, soft toothbrush and soapy water to scrub every leaf and stem, top and bottom.  That worked for a while.  This is likely a lather, rinse, repeat situation.

The problem with a lot of scale bug species is once they attach, they form a waxy layer that tends to prevent regular insecticides, even oil based, from penetrating.  You generally have to scrape them off, leaf by leaf, stem by stem.

Jagmanjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 06:24:31 AM »
@johnnym33315

I know about not having to pump.  It does connect with alligator clips to the battery and while my brother in law wants me to do like him and hard wire it with a switch to the atv, I just opted to buy a separate small lawnmower/motorcycle style battery which I will put on a charger periodically. 

I also like having a 15 gallon tank to work with.  I just mix up what I need 3 to 8 or 9 gallons for my purposes.  The pump maintains a nice even pressure throughout the spraying process.

You will notice inside the tank, which has a huge lid to put material in and a small threaded drain to make washing out easy, that the filter end of the pick up hose is towards one end of the tank.  I keep a piece of 2 x 4 wood under the other end of the tank to help tilt all the liquid towards the other pick up end. 

Also, for me when I first used it, the pump just seemed to keep running for a minute until I held the trigger down on the spray wand.  That helped get the material all the way up through the hose.  The pump also stops when the spray wand trigger is not held down. 

The only thing I would do differently and might change out is the spray head nozzle that I purchased afterwards has a straight nozzle.  I might buy another one with an angled nozzle to use instead as with smaller trees it will be much easier to spray up under or down from above for covering both sides of the leaves.

The one other thing I might do is follow my brother in law's additional suggestion and fabricate a bar with pvc and nozzles a little wider than my carryall and get quick disconnects.  Then I can also use the tank and sprayer for fertilizer for my yard as well.  Just set it up so the bar is removable when not in use with a couple of spring clips.

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
The last time I had a scale infestation on a plant I really wanted to save, I used an old, soft toothbrush and soapy water to scrub every leaf and stem, top and bottom.  That worked for a while.  This is likely a lather, rinse, repeat situation.

The problem with a lot of scale bug species is once they attach, they form a waxy layer that tends to prevent regular insecticides, even oil based, from penetrating.  You generally have to scrape them off, leaf by leaf, stem by stem.

That makes sense. A daunting task, but consistent with some of the other advise that I have read. Would you recommend trying to dump the scale in soapy water once removed, or just scrubbing with soapy water to remove is sufficient?
I am considering getting rid of the tree. It's an orange sherbet, which isn't the variety I would choose now and doesn't have the low branches like I would prefer now - I just bought it randomly a year and a half ago before caring about such things. Digging it up though is maybe more daunting than treating the scale!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 06:17:52 AM »
I spray neem and pyrethrin for scales. It works for me. I cover the soil with diatomaceous earth for the ants. It takes about about two weeks to erradicate the flyers and the suckers.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 11:58:23 AM by CarolinaZone »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk