Author Topic: EM1 activation  (Read 2660 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
EM1 activation
« on: August 31, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
Its been over a week since adding molasas and water.  The stuff is in the high 3s maybe 3.8PH range.  Not much activity or build up in the bottles.  Kind of smells like ass.  Not sure if I botched it or its going ok just needs more time?  Its in 80F room.

How do you know its a good batch vs gone bad?  Only way to tell is the PH? 
Brad Spaugh

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: EM1 activation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »
It will give of the smell of fermenting yeast, like bread dough or wort in beer making. Any way it will be a pleasant  smell. If it has spoiled, the smell will be bad. Did you use unchlorinated water?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
I'd write Carlos direct Brad.  In case you haven't seen his chart on the rocket fuels he's done......

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
I used plain well water.  It does smell sweet and fermenty kind of like beer brewing.  It definitely hasnt turned into vinegar.  Cant say its pleasant though.  Im going to put a heat pad under it and see if I can get it to go a little faster.  Theres very little "white stuff" on the top of the fermenters and very little bubbles coming out of the air locks.  Its like the process is stalled.
Brad Spaugh

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 01:34:45 AM »
Well water is fine. If it smells sweet and fermenty, it is fine. Keep it at around 35 C for a few more days and it should be ready to use. Sometimes the pH does not go below 3.5.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »
If you have it in a closed container you will notice significant pressure build up that needs to be released.  Also, when you mix in the molassas the color will be brown.  As the molassas is consumed by the microorganisms the color changes from brown to orange.  I’d be cautious about extra heat, that can easily kill the flora.
Peter

DurbanDude

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 02:08:27 AM »
Also, when you mix in the molassas the color will be brown.  As the molassas is consumed by the microorganisms the color changes from brown to orange.

Going from brown to orange brown has been accurate in my experience. It's possible that minerals in the well water are preventing the pH from hitting the ideal range. The only ways I know to mess up the activation are too hot, too cold and/or too much chlorine. Your mix is most likely good to go.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 09:47:00 PM »
I did a few more batches and put the bottles on a heat pad and it cooks real nice.  Comes out perfect this way and stays active.  I read it likes 100-115F to cook well which is hotter than anywhere I have but the heat mat works perfect.  I put down tons of mulch and hit my lychee and mango trees with half a gallon each of finished em1.

Heres how I ferment it in 1gal water bottles with air locks on a heat pad on top of a rug.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:54:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
I did a lot of batches on the heat mat.  It works perfectly.  The em1 is done in 2 to 3 weeks this way. 

Now Im down to a few gallons left and am going to try and make another 40 gallons with what I have. 

Does anyone know if you can use sugarcane juice or anything other than molasas?  The molasas costs a lot and hard to get wihout mail ordering.  Is there anything else to use?  Maybe sugarcane juice and seaweed extract?
Brad Spaugh

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
I did a lot of batches on the heat mat.  It works perfectly.  The em1 is done in 2 to 3 weeks this way. 

Now Im down to a few gallons left and am going to try and make another 40 gallons with what I have. 

Does anyone know if you can use sugarcane juice or anything other than molasas?  The molasas costs a lot and hard to get wihout mail ordering.  Is there anything else to use?  Maybe sugarcane juice and seaweed extract?

Molasses at the feed store costs less then $2 a gallon, in Florida?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 06:55:12 PM »

Molasses at the feed store costs less then $2 a gallon, in Florida?

I will check it out thanks.  Theres a feed store near by but I never go there for anything.  The stuff online goes for 20$ a gallon.
Brad Spaugh

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 06:31:13 AM »
You can use sugarcane juice.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »
In fact, you can use white sugar.  I once had dinner with dr. Higa, the inventor of EM, and remarked how it was difficult to convince people to use EM for house sanitation because of the smell.  He said that in Japan for use around the house it is often made up with white sugar.
Peter