Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283588 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
Although Rosigold is consistently the one of the earliest, if not the earliest mango maturing at my place, it is most usually a March to April event.  It can mature in February but that is not the norm.  So for all you mango season extending enthusiasts......you better get that miracle mango to start "miracling" though out the winter months.  Good luck to you.  I haven't had the benefit of the miracle as of yet.  But then again, its only been about 18 or so years, so I'll continue to be patient.  :)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
When you can't eat mangos for 5 months of the year, doesn't it make you appreciate them MORE?  Wouldn't it be better to enjoy other fruits during the fall and winter?  (Avocados are a different story because many of us consider them an integral part of a green salad--I don't even use salad dressing when I include avocado--and green salads are necessary for your health and should be eaten everyday.)  But I guess I'm not a mango fanatic, as much as I do enjoy them and consider them a top fruit.
John

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 19, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
When you can't eat mangos for 5 months of the year, doesn't it make you appreciate them MORE?  Wouldn't it be better to enjoy other fruits during the fall and winter? (Avocados are a different story because many of us consider them an integral part of a green salad--I don't even use salad dressing when I include avocado--and green salads are necessary for your health and should be eaten everyday.)  But I guess I'm not a mango fanatic, as much as I do enjoy them and consider them a top fruit.

Actually, I am in total agreement with you on this.  Truth be told, I eat more apples, bananas and grapes than I eat mangoes during most of the year....save the really ridiculous mango producing months.....when mangoes are non-stop fare.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2013, 12:04:55 AM »
Tropicdude quote:

"Although KNO3 can induce flowering, its effectiveness In sub tropical climate is not proven, and if it works at all , probably not reliable.  on the other hand, I believe you can delay the onset of the nest flowering, by doing your post harvest pruning, at a later time.

I do not have mature trees to experiment with this, but I posted somewhere in another thread, that it may be possible to stagger somewhat the ripening of fruit, by pruning different parts of a tree, at different times,  in other words,  lets say you prune 1/3 of the tree at your normal time of the year , the 2/3 a week or two later, and finally the last 3rd, a week or two after that.

I thought about this, because I noticed trees that were pruned back by the power company at some earlier time, had developing fruit on the part that was not cut back, and flowers on the side, that was."

Interesting, this observation could be useful

The second year that my Rosi fruited, all the fruit matured and was eaten in February.  I have not had it ripen that soon since, but generally much earlier than other varieties.

The February fruit did not have as much flavor as the later maturing fruit of other years.  Possibly because the tree was very young. Or maybe more sun and heat permit more flavor?
I'll take it! This to me is definite proof that Rosigold can produce ripe/mature fruit in February, thank you mangomandan for the unexpected good news.

Mangofang, although the result of your course of action (removing the smallest fruitlets and flowering panicles) may not be known until tried, the resulting behaviour that you're predicting sure makes sense to me. And, I think it's definitely worth finding out.

Although Rosigold is consistently the one of the earliest, if not the earliest mango maturing at my place, it is most usually a March to April event.  It can mature in February but that is not the norm.  So for all you mango season extending enthusiasts......you better get that miracle mango to start "miracling" though out the winter months.  Good luck to you.  I haven't had the benefit of the miracle as of yet.  But then again, its only been about 18 or so years, so I'll continue to be patient.  :)
My miracle mango has had mature fruit from November to January, and everyone that saw it was freaked out about it. It was sure a sight to see.

I saw it begin to do this during the first year that it produced fruit, maybe it's because it had a lot of 'teenage' energy? Could it be that to get 'Miracle' to bear twice per year is to feed it with supernutrition-fertilizer, and plentyful water and sun?

When you can't eat mangos for 5 months of the year, doesn't it make you appreciate them MORE?  Wouldn't it be better to enjoy other fruits during the fall and winter?  (Avocados are a different story because many of us consider them an integral part of a green salad--I don't even use salad dressing when I include avocado--and green salads are necessary for your health and should be eaten everyday.)  But I guess I'm not a mango fanatic, as much as I do enjoy them and consider them a top fruit.
OK, you got me, I'm a member of the mangoholics anonymous group, and I admit it, I'm a mango fanatic.  8)
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 20, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
OK, you got me, I'm a member of the mangoholics anonymous group, and I admit it, I'm a mango fanatic.

And there's no treatment, Leo. It's best to give in to it, and let the Angies fall where they may.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 20, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
haha I don't know about that. During mango season, I can wolf down several mangoes per day for 4 to 5 months straight. The trick to not getting bored with the mango is having plenty of cultivars. I suppose it could get old eating, say, keitts for 5 months straight. But, when you're eating a different cultivar every couple of weeks -- that's pretty hard to get bored of -- unless you're a frog!!

I'm with you on the avocadoes. I typically go through a hass a day, but I don't eat it like you do (with salad). I wolf it down just like I would a mango with just a dash of salt. Unfortunately we're pretty limited on what we can grow here in terms of avocadoes -- just the florida hass. The other ones are just a waste of space and food for the rats. I guess they may make good rootstock too.

But, yah, you hit the nail on the head. One must have a varied selection of fruit trees. However, you do want to maximize the amount of mangoes that you can grow on your property -- since it's top fruit here and harvest spans so many months. In my case, roughly 1/2 of my collection consists of mango trees.
Jeff  :-)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »
Mangomandan knows exactly where I'm coming from.

That's it Jeff, the solution to mango eating boredom is to have different quality cultivars.

During the mango season, I just love going from cultivar to cultivar.

For example, I can't wait for the season to begin with the very early 'Rosigold.'

Then, go to the different tasting but delicious 'Miracle.'

Then, on to the fiberless'Tebow,' with its great eating quality, and because of its really thin seed, you can slice off each side and easily scoop out the flesh with a spoon. It's as if it was artificially-fabricated/man-made, it's surreal! And so on and so on.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:44:16 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2013, 07:14:03 AM »
Once again the 24/7 mumbo jumbo has infected another thread. This is like a bad rash that just keeps spreading.

Anyone know when Florida citrus ripens?
JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »
My recollection is that Florida Navels start rolling in around mid-October.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 21, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
The Minneola tangelo ripens mostly January and February (in Florida).
The earliest ones picked are not always as sweet as those picked mid to late season.
If you have your own tree, you may still be getting delicious fruit in March.   :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:15:31 PM by mangomandan »

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 21, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »
My point exactly.
JC

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2013, 02:34:59 AM »
Once again the 24/7 mumbo jumbo has infected another thread. This is like a bad rash that just keeps spreading.

Anyone know when Florida citrus ripens?

Sarcasm anyone?  ;D
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2013, 12:35:19 PM »
Yeah, I missed it completely.  The phrase 24/7 makes me think of Walgreens pharmacies.

So you're saying that JC may not actually be fascinated by the citrus growing season..................

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »
Brook's Late still pumping out lots of fruits. Neelam just petered out. Meanwhile lots of Keitts also floating around.
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
hahah that incredibly rich flavor is precisely what I find irresistable about the LZ. If you think that was intense, you should try the pina colada hahahah. The first time I had a pina colada, I got a mild upset stomach due to the overwhelming sugar content. A few folks were calling the LZ 'bland' when compared to the O-2 (aka Peach Cobbler), so I can only imagine how intense the flavor is on that one. I think a lot of us mango lubbers enjoy that intense flavor.

Geez Jeff, at this point I can't image something stronger than LZ, looking forward to having my mind blown with the peach cobbler and and piņa colada, que pink Floyd's dark side of the moon. What's next prescription strength mangos....lol

Wait a minute. Jeff Much of my Top 5 list that will be purchased is based off of your reviews!!!!! I had LZ down as number 1!!!! Now it seems I need to kick Malika, Carrie, and grab Peach Cobbler, and Pina Colada....

New top 5 being purchased if top tropicals has them to ship to CA.     
LZ
Coconut Cream
Peach Cobbler
Sweet Tart
Pina Colada             Zill's Dynasty
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »
Sweet Tart is absolutely incredible. If you eat it when perfectly ripened, it loses that strong acidity. You'll have to try a few before you nail the ripeness. I would have named it Cola Mango, since the taste is very reminiscent of Coca Cola syrup. To make the deal even better, Zill's calls it a "compact" mango tree.

Jeff would you say Sweet Tart could be Potted in a good size container?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:38 PM »
Clay - two things...

1 - Just be aware that our SoCal growing environment(s) might (and often does) affect the "subjective" taste of all of these top notch mangoes. 

2 - And how well they grow and fare with your particular micro-climate, water type and soil might cause variation as well.

All in all, bottom line,  what I'm saying is - I'm not sure you're going to go wrong with any of your chosen ones, but you may be surprised and re-adjust your thinking once you've grown and tasted them from your own back yard....

But hey - it's ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!

Grow mangoes and prosper, amigo.....Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2014, 01:20:25 PM »
Gary you have a few of Zils Florida varieties right? Have their flavors been compromised by our lackluster climate?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
Which varieties you talking about, Clay....?

[and by the way, regarding our "lackluster climate" even though we have a shorter and overall less warm growing season and lack the higher humidity that they have in Florida, which I know most plants like, I'm thinking that with mangoes the lack of humidity (or less so...or none in my case out here in the desert) forestalls or eliminates many of the humidity-based diseases that the Floridians get....and another huge benefit, especially in this current winter pattern, is we don't get the really radical cold Arctic fronts that race through Canada, cut across the nation's mid-section and perpetrate so far south as they have.  The Pacific Ocean definitely has a moderating affect on those fronts that come down to us from Alaska on occasion, and seem to cause less extreme swings (in my estimation anyway) in our weather patterns]

Also, with average lows being less that those in most of Florida, we can also reap the benefit of some fruits that need some cold to fruit.  Not talking mango's here, but other sub-tropical fruit.....

So, enough of my blah, blah.....

(Thread HIJACKER!)

Guilty as charged!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
I'm with you there Gary!!!

We get the best of both worlds over here... enjoying man of the tropical fruits and trees, to many of the cold varieties that require a few hundred chill hours such as apples, plums, and cherries....

You have the Lemon Zest and Pina Colada which are both Zill varieties I believe. Have their taste been compromised by are more Mild Climate( better?) compared to what  Ripe Lemon zest from Florida would tast like?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
Clay, ask Gary about Maha Chanok  :o I think Maha Chanok is one of those possibly compromised by SoCal growing conditions varieties.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »
Hey Null,

I see you have Anna Dorsett Apple tree... How is that if you dont mind me asking?

I bought one 3 weeks ago at Home depot which is in Full blossom at the moment. I really wanted that honey crisp variety but we just dont get the chill hours needed so i settled for this one....Please tell me something good.

Gary we have Jacked this thread indeed...I hope the Mods to kick us lol

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »
Hey Null,

I see you have Anna Dorsett Apple tree... How is that if you dont mind me asking?

I bought one 3 weeks ago at Home depot which is in Full blossom at the moment. I really wanted that honey crisp variety but we just dont get the chill hours needed so i settled for this one....Please tell me something good.

Gary we have Jacked this thread indeed...I hope the Mods to kick us lol

Anna gave a couple taste apples in the past. However, it scumbag to heat and termites. Dorsett Golden was a champ though, gave it away to a friend (will plant one in the ground in FL). Highly recommend Dorsett Golden, loved the taste of it as well. Anna apple was an average taste, Dorsett Golden had a good sweet sour balanced flavor a grade above Anna in my opinion.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Darn, I looked at at em both.....Walked away with the Anna...I think i might compost it and go pick up the Dorsett.. They still have some left in Bareroot at Home Depot and Lowes for liek 20 bucks

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2014, 03:04:25 PM »
Like Nullzie said, the Anna (which I also have) just seems to be an OK apple.
Make sure if you get the Golden Dorsett you have enough chill hours where you are....

As far as the LZ - should have my first taste this year as last year was simply bountiful
growth.  Right now there are inflo's on my LZ which hopefully will translate into a few mangoes.
And I've never had a Florida LZ so can't tell you how it compares.

The Pina Colada - I had last year. They were good, but not great, maybe because I had to pick them early for our taste test (or maybe it's the youth of the tree!?!?) - it was not fully ripe, and again have never had a florida PC....or any Florida mangoes except an Edward that JF brought last year that had been mailed to him, and that was past ripe if I remember correctly....