Author Topic: The Hot/Chili Pepper Thread (Capsicum)  (Read 1726 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
The Hot/Chili Pepper Thread (Capsicum)
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
Wiri wiri, thai/bird's eye chilis, jalapeno, habanero...

Perhaps ultimately there will be individual threads for favorite pepper species, but for now, let's start with a big thread of delicious hot pepper varieties that grow in hot climates!

My neighbors are growing scotch bonnets in buckets, with such flourishing success that I have no need to ever try to grow any myself!

I have not grown any hot peppers since the first year I moved here, because they all got such a terrible attack of whitefly it didn't seem worth it. But I am more on top of things now, and am considering trying a few varieties again. I wonder if they can grow in the poor soil here, or if they can only grow in containers - neither myself nor my neighbor has ever tried them in-ground yet. I am more partial to Thai red varieties, than the harsh bite of most Caribbean peppers I've tried. But I think I'm ready to try a variety of them and just see how they all do. I'd prefer anything that can just grow in my soil and doesn't need a ton of care at this point, and can handle our scorching summers, drowning wet season, and parched dry season (or at least one of those!).

I found this to be a really fun article on India's love for chili peppers:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/et-magazine/indian-chilli-displacing-jalapenos-in-global-cuisine/articleshow/8190311.cms

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
Re: The Hot/Chili Pepper Thread (Capsicum)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »
We currently have a fun little collection of various peppers. Bell peppers are difficult to grow in our area... so we are growing a sweet mini pepper instead. It makes fruit all year long. We also have peach, chocolate, purple, white and the common ghost pepper. Our Birds Eye bit the dust last year... but it had left a few keiki behind. There was a recent seed exchange and we picked a few seeds up there and failed to label everything. Now it's a mystery to see who lives.

I tried to plant seeds from dried Wiri Wiri but they never came up. I was really excited to try them. They have excellent flavor.
Biodiversity is key.