Author Topic: Which is the best Jackfruit variety as far as sweet-taste and productivity?  (Read 40689 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I started this thread with the purpose of deciding which is the best Jackfruit cultivar to plant, since I only have about one more spot to plant a Jackfruit tree.
Although I've already decided, please keep your opinions and comments  coming. They have been fascinating and very instructive.
I've learned of new great cultivars outside of the U.S.A; like, J-33, EVIARC and Honey. Man, I wish these cultivars were available here in the good ol' U.S.A. Are they?

Now, I'm happy to say that I've decided to go with the J-31 Jackfruit cultivar.
This difficult decision has come after a good amount of research and taking into consideration my location (Zone 10b), fruit & tree characteristics and my own personal good taste. ;) Godwilling, in the future I'll have more space to plant more Jackfruit cultivars. Then, I'll also go for the Mai1 and Excalibur-Red cultivars. And, if I can get my hands on them, the J-33, EVIARC and Honey.
Some of my reasons for choosing the J-31 are: good fruit size, productive, can produce fruit off season, good sweet taste & texture, and looks like fruit will not split.

The only thing that I'm not crazy about the J-33 Jackfruit cultivar, is that the tree will not grow taller than 20'(feet)? Is this true? I was hoping that it would get taller, maybe 40' or 80'; I wanted the tree to hide some ugly grid-power-lines behind it.

I went to Bender's Grove (closest nursery to me that had it) yesterday and bought a seven gallon J-33. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic about it.
There, I was told to wait 3 weeks, 'till the end of February, before I plant it. This is to allow for new roots and to protect against a possible winter freeze.
Because I can't wait to plant it, I'm gonna fake plant it ??? I'm gonna dig a hole and plant it WITH the plastic container and all. In 3 weeks I'll just dig it out and replant it without the plastic container. Sorry, this is just too much fun.  ;D

By the way, full disclosure, until I get more info,  I've put in the backburner obtaining the following fruit trees (out of  "4" designated Planting Spots):
Spot 1     Grafted avocado cultivar(s) that ripens in December through March,
Spot 2     Sweet Heart Lychee, and
Spot 3     Grafted Spanish-Lime that's productive, has large fruit, with male/female flowers on the tree & free-stone; I'll wait for availability, hopefully at Excalibur Nursery.
I guess this leaves me with 3 available spots for planting fruit trees in the future; maybe Mai1, Excalibur-Red, EVIARC, Honey and J-33.  ::)

It looks like the best is just to come for the Jackfruit fruit tree & fruits!
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I think what you call fake planting is actually a very good way to acclimatize the tree to it's future planting location, especially in terms of amount of sunshine.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• View Profile
I agree Oscar, well said. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Thanks.

I have high hopes for this, soon to be planted, baby J-31 jackfruit.
There are two things that have me a little preoccupied:
1   That the tree will not grow taller than 20' (feet). I'm really finding it hard to believe that the tree will not grow taller than that. And,
2   That the tree will be affected by cold damage. I believe that when the tree becomes an adult, it will become resilient against winter cold damage.
Well, I guess I'll find out in time.

Time? Talking about time and 3D-Printers. THEY are saying that in a few years, we'll be able to purchase 3D-Printers. This makes me wonder whether at some time in the future, they will have 3D-Printers that will be able to print a fully grown fruit tree. Interesting thought, but I'm being impatient and I digress.

Hey Oscar, I wonder how the foreign Jackfruit cultivars (i.e. EVIARC-Sweet, Honey-Sweet, J-33)  compare to J-31, Mai1, etc.
I really wish you (I can't, at least not now) or some nursery like Pine Island, would import these Jackfruit culivars, like they did with the Sweet-Tamarind cultivar.
They would probably be a real big hit here in the U.S.A.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile

My seedling of what I believe was a gold nugget mother is producing fruit now.There is plenty of flesh and the flavor is good but the flesh is softer than what I like.I planted a tekam seedling a few days ago and have small a grafted amber.If this one is less than spectacular by the time the big guns get productive it will get the chop.

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile

J33 - Tekam Yellow Jackfruit

For me J33 Tekam Yellow is among the best .
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Tropical66, thanks for the info. you lucky you.
I wish they had the J-33 Tekam Yellow (as you call it) here in the U.S.A. so that I could taste it and compare cultivars. How is the productivity?
Is this your favorite Jackfruit cultivar, or do you also have other favorites?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Hi Faezal,
J33 sure looks delish  8)

I found this blog about J33. 8) The blog is all about this commercial Malay Jackfruit 8)

http://jackfruit-azmi.blogspot.pt/2010/07/permintaan-buah-nangka-madu-klon-j33.html
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
I just want to thank you guys for helping me decide on which Jackfruit cultivar to pick. Specially, Rob, Harry, Noel, Mark, Oscar & others.
As mentioned, I decided on the J-31. This decision was important to me and your help was crucial.
I've already fake planted the tree (as I call it) behind a Banana cultivar called Kandrian.
After the banana tree bears fruit, I'll just cut it down and the J-31 will have the sunshine all to itself.
Other fruit trees that I'm contemplating working on and/or purchasing: Jaboticaba (which variety?), a productive Rollinia (if such a cultivar exists!), Carrie Mango, Valencia-Pride Mango, Dragon-Fruit-rootstock, Persimmon, Emperor and SweetHeart Lychee.
Thanks again.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I just want to thank you guys for helping me decide on which Jackfruit cultivar to pick. Specially, Rob, Harry, Noel, Mark, Oscar & others.
As mentioned, I decided on the J-31. This decision was important to me and your help was crucial.
I've already fake planted the tree (as I call it) behind a Banana cultivar called Kandrian.
After the banana tree bears fruit, I'll just cut it down and the J-31 will have the sunshine all to itself.
Other fruit trees that I'm contemplating working on and/or purchasing: Jaboticaba (which variety?), a productive Rollinia (if such a cultivar exists!), Carrie Mango, Valencia-Pride Mango, Dragon-Fruit-rootstock, Persimmon, Emperor and SweetHeart Lychee.
Thanks again.
Why would you cut the banana down?
- Rob

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Re: Which is the best Jackfruit variety as far as sweet-taste and productivity?
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
Well, the Kandrian banana cultivar is a tall monster of a tree. When the banana fruit is about to ripen, the banana bunch is removed/cut from its stalk. It's cumbersome and dangerous to get a ladder, cut the stalk and bring the banana bunch down the ladder.
The safest and easiest way I've observed/learned, is to basically cut an indentation into the tree at the base. Then, if you do it right, the tree will slowly bend towards the ground, so as not to hurt the banana fruit bunch. Then, you just safely and easily cut the stalk and remove the banana fruit bunch.
The fact is, that the banana tree has served its usefulness, I do not feel at all remorseful, because the tree will have run its course and never produce any more fruit.
After some time, the cut tree will be used as compost or mulch.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »
Well, the Kandrian banana cultivar is a tall monster of a tree. When the banana fruit is about to ripen, the banana bunch is removed/cut from its stalk. It's cumbersome and dangerous to get a ladder, cut the stalk and bring the banana bunch down the ladder.
The safest and easiest way I've observed/learned, is to basically cut an indentation into the tree at the base. Then, if you do it right, the tree will slowly bend towards the ground, so as not to hurt the banana fruit bunch. Then, you just safely and easily cut the stalk and remove the banana fruit bunch.
The fact is, that the banana tree has served its usefulness, I do not feel at all remorseful, because the tree will have run its course and never produce any more fruit.

An easier way to cut down bananas is to cut the stem vertically, rather than horizontally, a few times with a machete or similar. It will just make the fibres in the stem relax and bring it down slowly. That's the theory I've heard from local growers - I wouldnt know personally as I only grow the dwarf ones that are easily harvested in hands rather than bunches...

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:42 AM »

An easier way to cut down bananas is to cut the stem vertically, rather than horizontally, a few times with a machete or similar. It will just make the fibres in the stem relax and bring it down slowly. That's the theory I've heard from local growers - I wouldnt know personally as I only grow the dwarf ones that are easily harvested in hands rather than bunches...

I've never heard of that method before. It sure sounds like it will work. I'll have to try it out some time and compare methods. Thanks for sharing.   
I also have the short banana tree. I have the variety called Nam-Wah.

Hey this is a good topic. But, this is the Most Productive and Sweet Jackfruit thread.
So, with all due respect, please let me tell you which other banana cultivars I have in a brand New Topic.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 01:39:32 AM »
I asked because just cause the banana fruits doesn't mean the entire plant dies...it sends up new pups, the process repeats itself and the mat starts to exponentially grow.  To "kill" the banana outright you would have to poison it or dig it up...
- Rob

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 01:59:24 AM »
That's right. I'm planning to relocate the new pups, as you call'm. I'm planning to give this prime/optimum sunny location to the J-31 Jackfruit.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 02:18:53 AM »
ok, corms...   :)
- Rob

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 11:51:50 PM »
ok, corms...   :)

So that's what they're called. Thanks.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 08:21:56 AM »

A Blog about Deng Suriya Jackfuit.

http://fruitlova.blogspot.com/2007/04/when-jackfruit-was-coloured-orange.html

Rob is this the same red morning that Excalibur carries?

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »
Red Morning and Deng Suriya are the same cultivar...

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
Great that's a good looking jackfruit.  Is that what they used to come up with the Ex red?

bsbullie

• View Profile
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
ok so apparently jackfruit is the newest fruit that has me obsessed

Already have the following: 
Red:  borneo red, cristela
yellow:  j-31, crunchy lemon, Black Gold x Tabuey

I believe from other threads, that mai 1, j-30, and excalibur red, and excalibur gold are front-runners.  What do i absolutely HAVE TO HAVE (in your opinion)?  only have room for a couple more trees.  Thanks

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
Mai 1 and Bangkok Lemon for yellow flesh
Mai 3 for orange flesh
Denge Suria and Excalibur Red for red flesh (there may be some availability issues with Excalibur Red for now)
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I have heard that Black Gold was good for cold tolerance any other good tasting productive Jackfruits that have good cold tolerance at a lower bound zone 10a?

Btw, I recently just tried young jackfruit recently cooked as a vegetable. It was excellent and had the looks and texture of beef brisket. Was cooked Sri Lankan style had a savory flavor to it with a slight fish/meat taste.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Question:  I have a shed that faces south, probably about 8-10 ft tall, and have about 10 feet behind the shed is a fence.  If i planted a jackfruit, would it do ok, once it grew up over the shed?  The tree has room to get some light (another overgrown weed/tree is already there)

Ok, so here are 2 questions:

1.  Would it be ok to plant a 3g Jackfruit and let it grow up toward the sun, or purchase a large tree (usually like to plant small trees and grow them up, mark in texas style) and plant it so it already gets some sun?

2.  (Same question i have for jaboticaba) Since the fruit is borne on the trunk, does the trunk need to receive sunlight for proper fruiting, or is it enough for the leaves to absorb the energy and use that energy to produce fruit that is in the shade?

Thanks (hopefully that wasn't too confusing)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration