Author Topic: Annona/Atemoya seed Germination  (Read 1599 times)

Gonzo65

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
Annona/Atemoya seed Germination
« on: September 04, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
Hey all,

I recently purchased some Atemoya and Rollinia seeds. I soaked them in water for a couple days and then I placed them in a produce container with some moist soil. Just checked up on them after two days and they appear to be growing some white mold. Any suggestions on what I can do to germinate them properly? Should I just toss these and buy new ones? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Gonzo

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Annona/Atemoya seed Germination
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
I put the seeds in between damp papertowels in a baggie and wait for the seeds to germinate.
After the seeds germinate I plant in potting soil. I have had seeds germinate in under a
week and I have had seeds takes 6 months. Usually the seeds I get in the beginning of the
season germinate faster. Copper fungicide will get rid of the mold.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
When I used paper towel I had to replace it every 2 days else it had severe fungus problem. 

You added copper fungicide to your paper towel so it wont get molds for 6 months?

Mustang128

• Temple City, California 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:11:13 AM »
Last month, I used a big plastic pumpkin pie container to germinate my Atemoya seeds.  I put the seeds between two layers of moist paper towels. I used moist paper towels to get rid of the occasionally white mold.  I saw the root comes out nicely in about a week. Your seeds should be fine, just have to wait a bit longer to germinate.  I have 16 seedlings ranging from 3 to 6 inches.

Kent
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:52:26 AM by Mustang128 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 02:21:07 AM »
When I used paper towel I had to replace it every 2 days else it had severe fungus problem. 

You added copper fungicide to your paper towel so it wont get molds for 6 months?
No I didn't apply copper fungicide to paper towels I was suggesting to the guy who planted them
in soil. When I used paper towels I had to replace the paper towels every week or two. The seeds
I had that took 6 months I put directly in potting mix. They over wintered and sprouted in the Spring.
I guess because it is so dry here in the Winter they didn't have mold issues while in the potting soil.

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 07:40:28 PM »
Consider using hydrogen peroxide instead of plain water. The 4% from the drug store should not be harmful to the seeds or seedlings, but will kill mold and mildew and such.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk