Author Topic: Any one tasted the Arizona avocado, Aravaipa?  (Read 25183 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Any one tasted the Arizona avocado, Aravaipa?
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:22:24 AM »
Typical hype on a "new" one, so how's the taste and other features of the tree?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:15:58 AM by Mark in Texas »

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
Re: Any one tasted the Arizona avocado?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
I assume you're talking about Aravaipa? I haven't tasted the fruit yet; mine is still small (3 gal) but growing vigorously.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
Don't think there was much "hype" other than the Aravaipa avocado tree is growing in snow and withstands some brutal Arizona temperatures.  Photos I have seen showing the green leafed tree with snow around it are pretty unique.  I too have the tree, thanks to the generosity of Arizona CRFG members who sent scionwood.  No fruit yet, no high expectations but could make a pretty cold resistant rootstock. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
Yeah, Aravaipa.  That new "discovery" has been out for some years, right?  No one has a subjective report on the fruit yet? 

Jack it reminds me of the hype here in Texas regarding the "excellent fruit" BS that goes with every nursery ad including all county extension descriptions.  Everyone that has actually tasted these fruits are like me, they are crap.   Am talking about the cold hardy "Tex-Mex" varieties like Joey, Brazos Belle, Wilma, Fantastic, Pryor, etc.  Seems the only fruit that gets kudos are Winter Mexican, Mexicola and a few others.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Any one tasted the Arizona avocado, Aravaipa?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »
Mark, at one of the Orange county scion exchanges 3-4years ago I asked Julie Frink about Arivipa taste and she said was not that good!
I've got it growing too outside but no flowers yet still small but healthy.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »
Mark, at one of the Orange county scion exchanges 3-4years ago I asked Julie Frink about Arivipa taste and she said was not that good!

If Julie doesn't like it, nuff said.   

I hope it works out for you though and you report on the fruit quality. 

Oro Negro is getting there, probably another week or so before I'll start harvesting.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised. The only source for them is this guy, "Shamus" that reveals in this video that he's never even had an avocado in his life towards the end of the video. It's mostly "hype" and people here are eating it up even though they've never even tasted it or heard of any taste test in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFuXVmoD_w

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised. The only source for them is this guy, "Shamus" that reveals in this video that he's never even had an avocado in his life towards the end of the video. It's mostly "hype" and people here are eating it up even though they've never even tasted it or heard of any taste test in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFuXVmoD_w

Figures, eh.  Folks have an obsession for growing avocados here in Texas from the upper coast down to Brownsville.  99% of their experiences fail.

Purchases can be summarized as such - "people are dreamers and conmen fulfill those dreams."

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
Beautiful O.N. fruit Mark 8)

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
Never heard of anyone eating, which probably means its not that great. As a seedling of hass, I would think it is similar but ultimately not as good. Maybe it will be used as a rootstock instead for the heavy clay soil and high temps, but even araviapa trees have Lula has a rootstock.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »
The County master gardeners are going to have some trees for sale on the 11th the Arizona and one they are calling Don Juan? I have not heard anything about that one either, I am going to call the Master Gardeners office later today and see if I can get some info on both.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 08:52:59 AM »
So far although the Arizona and the Don Juan avocado trees were listed separately, after looking on the internet they appear to be the same tree?The master gardener I talked to on the phone did not really help much, she just described it as being hass like and getting around twenty-five feet tall. I will keep on trying to find out more.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
Okay so I talked with the master gardener again and she insists these are two different types, so I will purchase one of each and see what happens. Here is how they have them listed.
Native Arizona “Aravaipa”—A Haas variety (Guatemalan) found in Arizona mountains; extremely cold hardy.
Don Juan—Produces good sized fruit with a speckled green skin. The flesh is of exceptional quality. After years of maturity, it may reach 23 feet tall. It is cold hardy to mid-10° F.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
You AZ guys can probably pull off some hass trees if they have some surrounding shade for afternoon sun.  And plenty of water.  It get extremely hot where Im at.  110 during a heateave and the trees don't seem to mind much if they are watered.   They are getting full exposure on a south hill. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:23:26 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
You AZ guys can probably pull off some hass trees if they have some surrounding shade for afternoon sun.  And plenty of water.  It get extremely hot where Im at.  110 during a heateave and the trees don't seem to mind much if they are watered.   They are getting full exposure on a south hill.

That's just a few heatwave. Try averaging 107F for 3-4 straight  months ,.....there are not too many Hass in Palm Springs and there is a reason for that.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »

That's just a few heatwave. Try averaging 107F for 3-4 straight  months ,.....there are not too many Hass in Palm Springs and there is a reason for that.

I would just suck it up and move somewhere less like hell.  My wifes side of the family lives in Phoenix.  Of course they love to rag on California.  But they are always happy to visit in summer and complain about their 1000$ cooling bill.   :'(

At least citrus grow well there...
Brad Spaugh

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »
Aravaipa and Don Juan probably aren't the same variety because Don Juan has a much old and larger distribution.  Plus, Don Juan is unheard of (like many texan cados) in Arizona; a similar situation exists for Aravaipa in Texas.

What sets aravaipa apart from hass is its purported salt tolerance, heat tolerance (up to 120 F), high pH and other conditions that are Arizona specific. Also, NOT only citrus grows here, but also with frost protection and shade cloth (like many 9bers do), mango, guava and most others do very well.

Just stick to your own states' avocados, which are better suited to your area.

TucsonKen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 11:23:38 PM »

I'm growing Wilma in Tucson and find it delicious. I've also gotten very favorable reactions from everybody else who has eaten fruit from my tree. It's not perfect--the loose seed coat adheres lightly to the flesh (but is easy to remove); some may not like the look of the thin, edible black skin--especially in guacamole (but it tastes fine); and there is usually a thin, circular area next to the seed that looks gray and unappetizing, which I trim away. But--it's an abundant producer of great-tasting avocados that I can grow in Tucson. I wonder if the people who report not liking it are eating fruit before it's mature enough to ripen properly?

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »
I wish there was someplace to order the different fruits from, so you could try it before you buy the tree and go through all the time and trouble to raise it.

TucsonKen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 11:57:12 PM »
That would be helpful, but you might still get very different results due to your local climate and soil conditions. I'm planning to trial about six varieties in my yard so I can find out first hand which variety I prefer for my situation.

rcline

• US/NV/Las Vegas 8B/9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »
I already have one of these so I may be stuck with subpar fruit... I am wondering if anyone knows if this is a type A avocado, thats what I am assuming right now.  If it is type A I want to find a Type B with good fruit, salt tolerance, plus cold and heat tolerance, any suggestions???

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 10:23:05 AM »
I already have one of these so I may be stuck with subpar fruit... I am wondering if anyone knows if this is a type A avocado, thats what I am assuming right now.  If it is type A I want to find a Type B with good fruit, salt tolerance, plus cold and heat tolerance, any suggestions???

Avocados cross over from A to B and B to A for several hours during the day, meaning, you don't need both.  That internet "I heard" stuff just won't quit.  Now, it might help production to have both, then again it might not make any difference.

Having said that my Oro Negro may be hitting its stride.  We're eating some pretty darn good ones.  What I like about ON too is the hard shell (peel), creamy but firm texture and never any strings.  Weights are 13 - 18 oz., big seed though.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:25:39 AM by Mark in Texas »

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
I'm impressed Mark, you've got some beautiful O.N. fruiting well good job I think they love your G.H. for sure!I have graft's growing but no flowers yet maybe a few more year's before I get fruit.  8)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »

Avocados cross over from A to B and B to A for several hours during the day, meaning, you don't need both.  That internet "I heard" stuff just won't quit.  Now, it might help production to have both, then again it might not make any difference.

Having said that my Oro Negro may be hitting its stride.  We're eating some pretty darn good ones.  What I like about ON too is the hard shell (peel), creamy but firm texture and never any strings.  Weights are 13 - 18 oz., big seed though.

Great to hear mark my......I made have pulled the trigger to early. The ones I've had tasted like grass ball one of the first avocado tree I eliminated.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »
Thanks Scott.  I may or may not top work it with varieties that JF sent me.  I can observe, taste and then act.  ;)

Back to A & B types.  This photo shows one female flower (stamens bent outward and anthers not dehisced) and 4 male flowers (with stigma no longer receptive, but stamens upright and anthers dehisced) in a daily sexual transition on one Ardith flowering spike, a commercial variety grown in Israel. Photo was taken yesterday around 2:00 p.m.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk