Author Topic: Kesusu (Prainea limpato) Germination  (Read 1790 times)

SoilScratcher

• USA, Hawaii, Papa, 12a
    • View Profile
Kesusu (Prainea limpato) Germination
« on: March 10, 2018, 01:53:56 PM »
Aloha! New to the forum, hope everyone here is well?!?! My first question is regarding Kesusu seed germination... I was able to procure several seeds and am worried I'll mess it up! Does anyone have any experience with starting this tree from seed? Mahalo!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Kesusu (Prainea limpato) Germination
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
Yup, they're easy to start if you get good fresh seeds. Main problem is they are susceptible to fungus. You should wash them very well, and maybe soak in hydrogen peroxide before planting.
Oscar

SoilScratcher

• USA, Hawaii, Papa, 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »
Oscar, thanks for the reply and good info to know! I treat most all my longer germination rate seed as though it is fungus susceptible and peroxide works well. I've also started experimenting with potassium carbonate as well, but i'll save that for less expensive seed! Can't wait to receive my order and get them in the ground  ;D  BTW, I took your suggestion and signed up for this forum... amazing info here!!!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:08:43 AM »
Mine are cleaned in peroxide, i put them in moist spaghnum with dabaiseeds but they are black and very soft now. I think dead.

Dabai seeds are growing good.

Not easy to grow kesusu..i don't know what is wrong.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:05 AM »
This is the year of the Kesusu. The trees at Tenom Park in Borneo went off and a number of seed sellers and collectors scooped up all the fruit and sent thousands of seeds around the world. If your seeds don't germinate, I bet you'll have a chance to buy a seedling within the next year or two on eBay or this forum.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
A word of caution -- if you planting these somewhere where rats have access to them, rats love the seeds.  A couple of years ago, I planted some seeds (along with a number of other seeds) in my greenhouse.  Rats immediately dug up all the kesusu and didn't touch anything else.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
A word of caution -- if you planting these somewhere where rats have access to them, rats love the seeds.  A couple of years ago, I planted some seeds (along with a number of other seeds) in my greenhouse.  Rats immediately dug up all the kesusu and didn't touch anything else.

John

Rats love a lot of seeds. Especially in spring when there is a population explosion. Others they especially like are durian seeds and all the artocarpus seeds.
Oscar

SoilScratcher

• USA, Hawaii, Papa, 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »

John

Rats love a lot of seeds. Especially in spring when there is a population explosion. Others they especially like are durian seeds and all the artocarpus seeds.

We have rats out in the forest, but for me it's the dang mice that make into our heavily screened hoop-house! Of course some of the tropical seeds are bigger than the mice, so hopefully that will deter them ;) They will go through whole trays and fatten themselves up. If it's not one thing, it's another! Appreciate all the germination hacks!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
A hardware cloth cover over the tray solves the rodent problem withe precious seeds.
Oscar