Author Topic: Papaya propagation by cuttings?  (Read 3066 times)

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
Papaya propagation by cuttings?
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:43 AM »
Have you ever tried to propagate papayas by cuttings? If you were successful, would you mind sharing your method? I tried some search on the net, but couldn't find much.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Papaya propagation by cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:50:31 AM »
I successfully propagated a couple of papaya trees with cuttings, but don't think it's worth the effort.  I cut off side branches on old papaya, including the swollen knob at the base of the branch.  I removed all the leaves except the growing tip, planted in a sandy soil with compost added so it retained moisture but had good drainage.  They were kept in mostly shade for a month or more.

Papaya fruit so fast, and seedlings are relatively true to the mother fruit, so there's little to gain from using cuttings.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
Thanks for the response, John. I saw a post from you on a previous thread on this forum, but it wasn't as detailed as this one. Did you let the cutting dry up for a day or two before you put it in the soil? What was your success rate? Papayas don't grow fast from seeds in my area, besides I just want to learn all the propagation possibilities.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
Let the cut dry a few days. Think plumeria. The leaves will mostly fall off but you'll get new ones later. I wouldn't dry it under the sun or anywhere hot.

You can cut the trunk into several sections if you like. Make sure each section you cut has enough energy to heal the cut and grow new roots and leaves. Cutting anywhere is fine but John's method sounds better. The branch collar of most trees have very vigorous growing tissue.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »
Thanks, Fang, for the input.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:20:19 AM »
I did the same as jcaldeira, only I immediately dipped the end in hormone powder and directly into coco coir into a deep pot. Remove all leaves except the  growing tip. Cover the cutting with plastic to minimise desiccation. If you can get a piece of "knob" attached to the base, all the better. The fruit will form lower to the ground and I find it advantageous to do it in this, zone 10. Keep the coir on the dryer side of damp.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
Thanks, jmc96. Advice much appreciated.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
So it is possible to do this. This is then a great tool for propagating seedless papaya fruit trees.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.