Author Topic: Am I The Only One With Dormant Mango Trees??  (Read 11303 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Am I The Only One With Dormant Mango Trees??
« on: February 08, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
Here it is, February 8th, and not a single pannicle in sight.  :-\  My Cogshall has not even one swollen bud.  It hasn't been doing well for awhile and I'm thinking of pulling it and replacing with another tree.  Sweet Tart, maybe?
My Pickering, third year in the ground, has a few swollen buds, but that's it.  Last year it started to bloom in early January and ultimately had 100% bloom.  Only about 6 feet tall it held about 3 dozen delicious mangoes.  Are these cultivars alternate season bearers?  Am I doomed to Costco mangoes this summer??   :'(

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Am I The Only One With Dormant Mango Trees??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »
Naw, I have a single in-ground Graham and potted Rapoza that have pannicles. The cotton candy, sweet tart, lemon-something, mahachanok, and several others I cant think of both in ground and in pots haven't done anything yet. All look healthy though aside from some weevil damage which reminds me I need to hit them up with a systemic since this less than cold winter probably didn't dent the weevil population and they will be back in force soon :(

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »
I have alot still waiting to go

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
I just left Zills and they do not have very many trees in bloom. Also the other fruit seller by 95 and Hypoluxo has only a few trees in bloom. I find this odd as I’m in Indian River County and we have full bloom on everything but newly purchased trees.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
I just left Zills and they do not have very many trees in bloom. Also the other fruit seller by 95 and Hypoluxo has only a few trees in bloom. I find this odd as I’m in Indian River County and we have full bloom on everything but newly purchased trees.

Because your trees were exposed to significantly cooler weather. The tri-county area hasn’t experienced as many nights in the 50s.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »

Because your trees were exposed to significantly cooler weather. The tri-county area hasn’t experienced as many nights in the 50s.

That is part of it but it’s not as simplistic as that, plant hormones, water and other synergistic interactions both known and unknown are involved in plant flowering. My neighbor has 40 or so trees only one is in bloom. There is also a 17 acre grove nearby without any bloom.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:32:27 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »

That is part of it but it’s not as simplistic as that. My neighbor has 40 or so trees only one is in bloom. There is also a 17 acre grove nearby without any bloom.

Cultivar and relative health and age of stems matter as well. But cool/dry weather is what stimulates floral response in mango.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:05:58 AM by Squam256 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »
Yah, mango bloom here is all about cold. You can juice the trees up bio-whatever, but if the climatic factors are not on target, you're not getting mangoes. The subtropical growing region seems to be shifting north at a reasonably rapid pace.

That last cold snap was enough to kick my mangoes into high gear. Nearly everything is going into 50% or greater bloom; lots with what appear to be a full bloom.

Even my two lychees are putting on the flowers. Fortunately, they were in a growth spurt

This is looking to be a great mango year for my area at least.
Jeff  :-)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »

Happy for y'all - enjoy!

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »
. . .
Interesting, Jeff, because I'm only a few miles south of you in Plantation and my trees are deep in REM sleep at the moment.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 04:30:08 PM »
Yah, mango bloom here is all about cold. You can juice the trees up bio-whatever, but if the climatic factors are not on target, you're not getting mangoes. The subtropical growing region seems to be shifting north at a reasonably rapid pace.

That last cold snap was enough to kick my mangoes into high gear. Nearly everything is going into 50% or greater bloom; lots with what appear to be a full bloom.

Even my two lychees are putting on the flowers. Fortunately, they were in a growth spurt

JEFF do you think it’s a magnetic pole shift? Seems t9 be lots of talk about it .
Crazy stuff man Niburu😊
Zone 10

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »
This is interesting study on floral manipulation of Mangos with phytohormones. 
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b32c/50567019328e3cf762f3de022d2f13cad835.pdf

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »
Yah, that is strange. For what it's worth, I did give my trees a heavy fertilization with Har's magic 0-3-16 in late fall.

. . .
Interesting, Jeff, because I'm only a few miles south of you in Plantation and my trees are deep in REM sleep at the moment.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »
Yah, that is strange. For what it's worth, I did give my trees a heavy fertilization with Har's magic 0-3-16 in late fall.
That could be the mystery potion I'm missing, although I did hit the trees with 0-0-50 in October.  Ah, sweet mystery of life. . .

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 07:06:43 PM »
Or maybe I just happened to get a few degrees colder than you? I am a few miles north.

0-0-50 would lack some vital nutrients. I think 0-0-50 might be well suited to Redlands soil, but not necessarily to the rest of Florida. Nutrient balance is probably more important than raw quantity.

That could be the mystery potion I'm missing, although I did hit the trees with 0-0-50 in October.  Ah, sweet mystery of life. . .

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »
I am in Hollywood, and was worried until past few days, everything has expoloded. Biggest blooms ever. Pickering, Fairchild, PPK, CC, and Honey kiss all in bloom. The cold may have helped but I also hit them for first time with Hars love powder late fall.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
I'm seeing blossoms on Mahachanok now.  Angie and Pickering have had some, but not the entire tree at one time as in years past.  Still waiting for Honey Kiss and Providence.
John

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »
Keitt, T/A, Springfel, Florigon, Chocanon, Palmer, and Fairchild is still in a holding pattern my yard, all were trimmed last year after the last fruit was picked. Galaxy maybe never.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »
:D

I am in Hollywood, and was worried until past few days, everything has expoloded. Biggest blooms ever. Pickering, Fairchild, PPK, CC, and Honey kiss all in bloom. The cold may have helped but I also hit them for first time with Hars love powder late fall.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
My Manilita is usually first to bloom in December or January. It is just starting to bloom now. Pickering is in full bloom, others still dormant. Hoping this will be the first year I get blooms on the Angie that I top worked to Maha Chanok. Seeing some bud swell - hoping it is blooms:)

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »
Hi Carbo, you are not the only one! here in Central West Fl
My Cogshall, and Duncan are snoring away, in my area last year all Mangoes got top burned, from a heavy Freeze.
My  Manga Blanca started Flowering at the end of Jan. about Two months later than usual.

Carlos

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
My Cogshall, about feet tall and probably 8 years in ground has all of one pannicle.  I think it's getting the axe this summer, to be replaced by. . .??  I'm thinking a Sweet Tart.
The Pickering is beginning to show signs of life.  A few pannicles just pushing and many swollen buds.  I'm just surprised it's about 5 or 6 weeks later than last season.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 11:14:16 AM »
Just about everything large enough to flower has already flowered or has panicles pushing. I would grade this as a “good, not great” bloom (75-90% bloom, with a great bloom being 90+%). With the mild/warm “winters” we get now in southeast Florida, I’m just grateful for a “good” bloom.

Some exceptions are:

Sweet tart - by far the most disappointing. Out of several dozen ST trees, only a couple have any flowers at all. Absolutely pathetic. I’m convinced this one needs regularly cool winters to flower and produce on a consistent basis because of the energy drained by its larger crops.

Bombay - some panicles but vast majority of a “large” tree is dormant.

Shindri - 2nd year it’s been large enough to flower and still nothing

Naomi - no flowers. has never fruited

Sonpari - completely dormant, had large crop last year

Alphonso - just a small amount of bloom. Not surprised

Jehangir - similar to Alphonso

Shamsul Asamar- insuspect this one needs a pretty cold winter to do anything

J.B 2 - completely dormant. Has never flowered

“Sia Siam” (fake maha chanoks) - 6 out of 7 are dormant

ValCarrie - usually flowers well but not much of anything on two trees
Probably forgetting a few other disappointments.

Some other trees have significant blooms, but subpar by their own standards.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:27:05 AM by Squam256 »

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »
Squam, have your Sweet Tarts been consistently poor producers?  I ask because as I wrote just above, my Cogshall has tested my patience with poor production and jelly seed.  I was thinking the Sweet Tart would be a good replacement.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 11:31:25 AM »
Squam, have your Sweet Tarts been consistently poor producers?  I ask because as I wrote just above, my Cogshall has tested my patience with poor production and jelly seed.  I was thinking the Sweet Tart would be a good replacement.

They had a ‘decent yet disappointing’ crop last year if that makes any sense. A good number of them still failed to flower but We at least got nice crops off a number of them.

I think it’s probably better suited for interior areas, the west coast of Florida, central Florida (brevard, Orlando, etc) and California. Even Gary Zill’s sweet tarts (the “oldest” sweet tart trees in existence) don’t consistently flower well in West Boynton. I also recall Cookiemonster stayed last year that sweet tart had been something of an alternate bearer for him.

I have higher hopes for Cecilove, which tastes quite similar and seems more precocious and easier to flower.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:05:38 PM by Squam256 »