Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620630 times)

mario

• phoenix az Zone9
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all!!! I'm new to the forum!
« Reply #550 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »
Welcome to the club

JulieBoolie

• Germany, Bavaria
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #551 on: March 21, 2013, 02:58:08 AM »
Thanks a lot for welcoming me :)
Well.. last year my white sapote flowered and also developed tiny fruits but eventually dropped all of them. Right now there are flower buds on their way again... fingers crossed it'll work this time. The mountain papaya will flower this spring (I will share seeds).
Most of the plants are still small so I guess I gotta wait at least 2 more years.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 21, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »
Hi Everybody mi name is Raul Gonzalez, I like to collect exotic fruits, I live by a small river on a almost half acre property with a small hill slope at the back, I started about 8 years ago so most of my trees are in juvenile stage, currently have jack f, bakuripari, Eug. Candolleana, Ilama, Garcinia macrophila, Mexican atemoya, mama de cadela, premium pitangas( twice the size very sweet & firm flesh with no turpentine flavor , achachairu, marang, champedak, mangostan,Kwai muck, dwarf ambarella, duku, long kong, pedalai,Bali Salak, durian, Durio graveolens,Ross sapote, cupuassu,caimito,biribas, apple mamey,Burmese grape, kuwini mango ( flowering for first time! ) seedless bread fruit, lychee ,longan,
 Now my new passion are mangos, but I'm running out of space, so I have to be very selective ! I have a beautyful girl(23) and a boy(9) from previous marriage, I live with my wife 3 dogs, male rottie,fem lab, fem cocker, and 4 cats, I worked in hotelery industry, I'm really exited to join this group!
   Un abrazo!!
El verde es vida!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 21, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
Bienvenido Raul! You have a very nice collecion there..  ;)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
Griaß di Julie :)

I know your pain growing tropicals in Bavaria... ;)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
Hi Raśl,

Welcome to the group. I really like your collection, and wish i could grow all those fruits here in South Florida. How large are your pitangas? Are they black or regular?

Saludos,
Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
Hi Everybody mi name is Raul Gonzalez, I like to collect exotic fruits, I live by a small river on a almost half acre property with a small hill slope at the back, I started about 8 years ago so most of my trees are in juvenile stage, currently have jack f, bakuripari, Eug. Candolleana, Ilama, Garcinia macrophila, Mexican atemoya, mama de cadela, premium pitangas( twice the size very sweet & firm flesh with no turpentine flavor , achachairu, marang, champedak, mangostan,Kwai muck, dwarf ambarella, duku, long kong, pedalai,Bali Salak, durian, Durio graveolens,Ross sapote, cupuassu,caimito,biribas, apple mamey,Burmese grape, kuwini mango ( flowering for first time! ) seedless bread fruit, lychee ,longan,
 Now my new passion are mangos, but I'm running out of space, so I have to be very selective ! I have a beautyful girl(23) and a boy(9) from previous marriage, I live with my wife 3 dogs, male rottie,fem lab, fem cocker, and 4 cats, I worked in hotelery industry, I'm really exited to join this group!
   Un abrazo!!

Hey Raul, about time you discovered this group. What took you so long?  ??? I think you are going to love it. Lots of good folks and info. + many photos.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #557 on: March 22, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »
Hi, I am Peter from the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica.  I know some of you from visits to my farm and others from other groups.  I have been growing tropical fruits, spices and ornamental plants since 1987 in my present location.  My farm is 18 hectares but most of that is rainforest.  We are situated at about 9 degrees North in an area with 4m of rainfall which is well distributed in two primarily dry seasons and two wet seasons.  I feel that the weather is very similar to peninsular Malaysia and parts of Borneo.  I practice agro-forestry and have a collection of more than 150 fruit and spice trees.  My farm is commercial and I sell fresh fruits, spices, and fine chocolate as well as run a nursery of fruit trees and ornamental plants.  Saludos from Costa Rica, Peter

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #558 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Peter.  We were trying to plan a trip to Costa Rica, that, unfortunately never materialized.  Would love to get down there one day.  What is the elevation of your farm? Please, when you have a chance, post some pictures of your trees. Thanks in advance.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #559 on: March 22, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »
Hi Harry
The elevation of my farm is basically sea level to about 40m.  We often have some fruit here but the best time to come for fresh fruit is around September to November.  I am seeing flowers on mangosteen, rambutan, and durian right now, to name a few.  A visit could be easy from South Florida, I was up there in May and visited some very interesting nurseries.  I got some material from Excalibur and a few bromeliads from Bullis in Homestead.  It would be great to see you here.
Peter

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum all!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 24, 2013, 12:45:23 AM »
Hi Harry
The elevation of my farm is basically sea level to about 40m.  We often have some fruit here but the best time to come for fresh fruit is around September to November.  I am seeing flowers on mangosteen, rambutan, and durian right now, to name a few.  A visit could be easy from South Florida, I was up there in May and visited some very interesting nurseries.  I got some material from Excalibur and a few bromeliads from Bullis in Homestead.  It would be great to see you here.
Peter

Welcome to the forum!
I'm getting impression that you are inviting forum members to visit your farm. Are there any accommodations available? Would love to get away for a week to some farm in Costa Rica. My only visit to Costa Rica (Lemon) was 17 years ago, but I wasn't into fruits back than and I don't remember anything ::)

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #562 on: March 24, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »
Hi Durian lover-  I live in an area that is easy to visit.  I sometimes have accomodation available and there are also lots of small hotels and restaurants in the area.  I am in Puerto Viejo, Limon and it is easy to reach by direct bus or rental car from San Jose, the capitol.  There are lots of tourists around here at the moment but not much fruit.  In September/October it is the opposite.
Peter

chylton2

• WEST PALM BEACH, FL. 33409
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 25, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
Good Day everyone, my name is Chris Hylton. I bought my first house last year and started my tropical fruit tree planting. its not a very big backyard but its workable.
i have a question right away: i have a grafted mango tree that has already sprouted its new leaves. i've had it in my garage for the past month until now. what is the next step? can i bring it outdoors to get some sun?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:59:05 PM by chylton2 »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #564 on: March 25, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
Its best to acclimate the tree slowly, moving it into an outdoor but partially shaded area for a couple of weeks before trying to plant it out in full sun.  Leaves that were grown in the garage will burn if you stick them out in the full sun immediately.  When you eventually plant the tree out, try to choose a cloudy, rainy day and that will lessen the effect of the ultimate light change.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

rusahlynn

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
Hi, I just joined yesterday, trying to find help for my tiny mango plant!

I am not a gardener....seems like everything I try to grow dies  :-[

I live in Canada, we get very cold winters and very hot summers!

Hoping I can find some advice for my mango tree!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #566 on: March 29, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »

I think you came to the right place because we have some forum members in Canada growing mangos, i'm sure they can help you, along with the many other mango experts here.  Welcome to the group!
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:48 AM »
rusahlynn, welcome. I assume you're keeping it indoors maybe in a greenhouse during cold weather. Hopefully you'll get ideas to grow other fruit from this forum.

bobbyjo

• Canada, Toronto, 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 29, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »

I think you came to the right place because we have some forum members in Canada growing mangos, i'm sure they can help you, along with the many other mango experts here.  Welcome to the group!

Hi rusahlynn:
Oscar is correct - there are a couple of Canadians growing mangos who post on this forum.  I am one of them and also have other tropicals including citrus, bananas, etc.  I'm in the Toronto area and started with mangos about three years ago.  Not sure how much help I can be but will try.

There's another person in Canada that I know is on this forum who has had good success with his mango plant.  This is his profile, if you want to contact him:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=77

Robert

JD

• US, FL, Tallahassee, 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 01, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
Hey Tropical Fruit Forum!

I have been known as "JD" for all of my life. I currently reside in Tallahassee, FL (8B) with my hometown and family in South Florida.

I am currently growing several fruits: berries, peaches, plums, figs, mulberry, persimmon, pomegranate, pineapple, paw paw, and pear. Some in-ground and some in pots. In South Florida, my family has sapodilla, mango, avocado, palm, and papaya growing.  I hope to grow a few mango and avocado trees here...in pots for winter protection. We plan to expand what my family is growing to include more subtropical fruits like canistel, mamey sapote, miracle fruit, and jaboticaba.

I have tasted a few rare and ultra rare fruit. Earlier this month, I sampled jaboticaba and canistel for the first time while visiting the Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead. It was an enjoyable visit. I must return when the mango, ice cream bean, etc are ready for harvest. Mulberry were in season and Pakistan was the best by far.

The goal of joining this forum is to share and learn as much as I can.

PS: I have a question about how to grow jaboticaba from seed (I have a few). I will search the forum and hopefully find an answer. If no, that will be my second post.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:30:06 PM by JD »
JD
Tallahassee, FL
Zone 8B

rusahlynn

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm keeping my mango indoors :)
Glad to hear there are other Canadian mango growers! I will start a new post with my questions :)
Thanks!

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
Re: Waldi1
« Reply #571 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Hi Everyone ,
Just Registered myself.Since I retired myself 6 years ago I started to colect tropical fruit seed and plants without any knowledge.
Meanwhile I've got about 100 different species of which 50% is flowering and /or fruiting,Everything my plants ever get is 100% water,That's all.
I also have sometimes Watermelon,Melon ,Sorghum,Amarant,Pineapple etc.
what I like to learn is the Latinwords for all the species and in this Forum I see a good chance.
A few days ago when I browsed the forum some Guys where complaning about Mango Ataulfo . The ones I got 25 trees are as sweet as sugar,come and try for yourself.
Helmut

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum... :)

Rusahlynn. :) I'm glad you found other Canadian Mango growers.. hopefully they'll be able to help. But keep us posted on how your little tree does..:) It would be nice to see it make it through..:) I grow some mangoes in pots as well, so if there is anything i can help with, just let me know.

JD, you've a great collection so far and I'm sure you'll probably be adding much more..:) Here's a good place to start your Jaboticaba reading http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4238.msg58386#msg58386...:)

Waldi1...welcome to the forum, retiring with more than a 100 different fruit trees sounds wonderful..:P

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
Re: Waldi1
« Reply #573 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Hi Green Thumb,
Thank's for welcoming mi to the forum
Yes ,I like fruits and I like to keep busy,and Im not finished collecting
Trouble is The Mex Gov put a thumb on plant and seed imports.
Saludos

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #574 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »
Hi Helmut.  Nice to see you got registered.  Welcome!  Jay