Author Topic: Pink/White Hawaiian Guava?  (Read 1480 times)

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Pink/White Hawaiian Guava?
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »
So about 6 months ago I went to my favorite disorganized nursery in Vista San Diego, Exotica, and walked away with a beautiful "White Hawaiian Guava." In early Fall of this last year I was able to harvest one fruit from the tree. When I cut the Guava open I saw the most bright pink color I had ever seen from a "White Guava." I knew something was wrong with this picture but I'm not one to get all worked up about not getting the correct tree, especially because the taste of this guava was easily the best guava I had every had. This last week I went back to Exotica and asked Leo about the White Guava that he had sold me. He said, it must have been a "Pink Hawaiian Guava" and that I'm actually very lucky because he does not carry that rare cultivar any longer and is frequently asked if he does. Does anyone on the Forum know anything about these Pink or White Hawaiian Guava cultivars?
And I was been able to try the White cultivar this last week and it was a fist sized very good fruit, my 2 year old daughter took one bight and then asked Leo for the rest of it. 

Thanks
Erik 
Erik

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Pink/White Hawaiian Guava?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
Really hopeing to learn something about these Hawaiian Guavas. Does anyone know if these are general names of Guava or are they specific cultivars?
Erik

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »
This site contains pictures of some of the more common and uncommon guavas grown in Hawaii. You might be able to identify yours by going through the pictures.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-west-area/hilo-hi/daniel-k-inouye-us-pacific-basin-agricultural-research-center/tropical-plant-genetic-resources-and-disease-research/docs/guava-collection/

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »
This site contains pictures of some of the more common and uncommon guavas grown in Hawaii. You might be able to identify yours by going through the pictures.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-west-area/hilo-hi/daniel-k-inouye-us-pacific-basin-agricultural-research-center/tropical-plant-genetic-resources-and-disease-research/docs/guava-collection/
Coyote, thanks for the resource! Some of these species/cultivars are a bit hard to find photos of for ID.
Anisha

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
No problem, I just ran into the website a few days ago myself, while looking for photos of guava varieties who's seed I had ordered.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
Not sure what is grown in Hawaii, but i would second the pink fleshed varieties tend to taste WAY better than the white.  not always, but probably 9 times out of 10.  Im not a guave person, but the pink flesh and the purple species i do enjoy so grow a few of those :)