Author Topic: Ragged looking Sir Prize  (Read 1327 times)

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Ragged looking Sir Prize
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
My sir prize was transplanted in March 2019 from a 15 gallon pot.  It already flowered and vigorous looking when transplanted.  I removed all but 2 of the fruits when they set.  Now the tree is looking really sick and ragged.  I'm guessing it is due to bearing fruit too early.  People told me not to let it fruit during the first year.  From the photos do you guys think the trees with all the leaves turned yellow and burnt at the the edges is a seasonal thing or due to carrrying fruit too early? 

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Ragged looking Sir Prize
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
The tip burn is seasonal, flush the soil and add potassium and in chloride-free form.

This is typical, but some have said that using West-Indian rootstock would prevent this form of salt sensitivity.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 06:05:34 PM »
I think something’s up with your soil or fertilizing. I’m 3 1/2 mi from the coast FYI. Here’s my sir prize planted out of 15g from Clausens. Put in the ground this spring. No burnt tips, lots of growth this summer, mostly vertical. It Flowered once but didn’t set fruit. Good luck, wish I could be more help. I use Jobes fertilizer spikes and spray it down early morning if it’s going to be over 80. I also pee on it ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:04:12 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »
I think something’s up with your soil or fertilizing. I’m 3 1/2 mi from the coast FYI. Here’s my sir prize planted out of 15g from Clausens. Put in the ground this spring. No burnt tips, lots of growth this summer, mostly vertical. It Flowered once but didn’t set fruit. Good luck, wish I could be more help. I use Jobes fertilizer spikes and spray it down early morning if it’s going to be over 80. I also pee on it ;)

Thanks I got it from Clausen also.  For fertilize, I alternate between gro-power for citrus avocado and bioflora 6-6-5.  I also have a Reed from clausen at the same time and the Reed show minimal leave burnt right now.  I watered using a RV inline carbon/kdf water filter.

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 12:13:08 AM »
Do you ever flush out the soil buy doing a deeper watering? If you don't do a deeper watering salts can accumulate in the soil and they can cause the leaf tip burn that you see.  This can occur especially if you have poor water quality.  Different rootstocks tolerate salts more than others.  Mexican race avocado rootstocks can burn more than others.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 12:23:01 AM »
I did it once a month ago when I doubled the amount of water on my irrigation day.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 11:13:04 PM »
do you have pets? don't pee on your tree if you eat salty diet :p