Author Topic: Visit and Fruit Tasting  (Read 4778 times)

edself65

Visit and Fruit Tasting
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
I traveled to South Florida this past weekend and got to visit 3 different gardens from the forum!

My first stop Friday was at Berto's place! Berto has a great place! He had a very nice passion fruit trellis! Also a very nice collection of plants! I am looking forward to seeing more pictures from his collection as the season progresses! Berto was a super nice and knowledgeable guy to visit! If you ever get the invitation to visit take him up on it!

Saturday I got to visit the legendary Harry Hausman plantation! Also got to meet SW Rancher! We took the tour together. Then we got to sample some nice fruit! We had some jaboticabas, sapodillas, star fruit, cherimoya and black sapote!
Jaboticabas always great!
The Haysa Sapodilla is a must have after sampling it at Harry's place!
The cherimoya was very good as expected!
The Star fruit was good just not a favorite of mine!
The Black Sapote was good just don't call it Chocolate pudding fruit!
We got to see a lot of stuff in bloom especially mangos!

I finished South Florida tour up Sunday by visiting Noel Ramos! I got to finally taste the legendary Giant Rollinia! Even though it was off season it was still a very good fruit! I would think during peak season it could easily be a must have tree for most everyone! I got to sample some frozen jackfruit that was very good! Nice crisp with good flavor! Also got to see the Rollinia tree loaded down with off season fruit! Also is abui in heavy bloom and his mamey tree loaded up with fruit!

Thanks,

Ed

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Visit and Fruit Tasting
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
Ed,
Thank you for the comments!  I really enjoyed your visit. Now you know where I live and it will be a pleasure to have you visiting again. 
I found out that Ed and I have a common friend in Brazil, Helton Josue.  Helton has an impressive collection of rare fruits, and I had the pleasure of visiting his place last year.  Helton owns Sitio Frutas Raras, in Campina do Monte Alegre, Sao Paulo. I flew 2 1/2 hours by plane. Then, my brother and I rode 320 km one way to go see Helton in Campina do Monte Alegre.  It was worth every second.
http://frutasraras.sites.uol.com.br/index.htm

Ed, thank you so much for the Mexican garcinia and for the jabuticaba spirito santensis.  I moved them to 15 gallon pots and the jabuticaba is breaking buds.  One of this day, I will send you some photos.  Take care! Berto

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
Please post some pics Ed  ;D
Tim

edself65

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Tim, Heck I forgot to take a single picture! I was to busy listening to these guys giving me guided tours and the history of their collections! I will next time!

Berto you are very welcome! I really appreciate the Rain Forest Plums! I got home with everything in great shape! I'm looking forward to trying those Passion Fruit that you sent home with me! BTW Otis slept the rest of the trip after playing with your dogs!

Thanks Again for being a great Host!

Ed

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:40:15 PM »
ahahahahahahahahaha
I told my wife about the dogs chasing one another and your dog falling into the pool!  It was funny!  I told her that "her dogs" pushed your dog into the pool!  My dogs will never do anything like that to a guest!  ahahahahahahaah  It was hilarious!

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
It was great meeting you Ed, next time that your down south stop by my place.

Tony   

edself65

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:54:20 PM »
Nice meeting you also Tony! I will stop by next time I am down that way!

Here is a photo of some of the fruit I brought back.  The huge passion fruit are from Berto's and the Haysa sapodillas are from Harry's place. Those sapodillas have a nice pear / brown sugar flavor without any grit!  The lemon was just in the picture for size reference.

Thanks,

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
shoot!!!

I want to plant some of those seeds...i wonder what cultivar of maracuja?

thanks for posting pics Ed
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Ed,
This variety was developed by Embrapa in Brasil.  I call it "maracuja gigante".  The first ones were even bigger.  My record is apprx. 430 grams.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:17:19 PM »
shoot!!!

I want to plant some of those seeds...i wonder what cultivar of maracuja?

thanks for posting pics Ed

Berto said in prior post it was a cultivar developed by Embrapa, the Brazilian ag service, but forget the name?
Oscar
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »
Adam and Oscar,
The original variety's name is BRS Gigante Amarelo.  However, my vine is already an offspring of BRS Gigante Amarelo.  So, I got only part of the genetics of the original hybrid. That's why I just call my vine "Maracuja Gigante" (Giant Passion Fruit).  The original  BRS Gigante Amarelo reaches approx. 650 Grams. 
It is very difficult to get seeds of the original BRS Gigante Amarelo.  The last time I checked the waiting list was close to a couple years.  Here is Embrapa's info of how to get seeds. I believe this service is for Brazilian farmers only.
As reservas de sementes dos híbridos de maracujá são feitas na Embrapa Transferência de Tecnologia, pelo telefone (19) 3749 8888, e-mail (sac@campinas.snt.embrapa.br) ou pela home-page (www.campinas.snt.embrapa.br).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
Berto, you sent me seeds of this giant yellow passionfruit before. I just noticed that at that time you told me the cultivar name was IAC 275. Was that a different cultivar, or are both the same with different names?
Thanks, Oscar
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
Oscar,
I sent you seeds from IAC 275 (Instituto Agronomico de Campinas) which is also a very large yellow variety.  The offspring of BRS Gigante Amarelo is slightly different.  However, both of them are absolutely fantastic.  I wish to get a hold of some seeds of the original BRS Gigante Amarelo.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »
Oscar,
I sent you seeds from IAC 275 (Instituto Agronomico de Campinas) which is also a very large yellow variety.  The offspring of BRS Gigante Amarelo is slightly different.  However, both of them are absolutely fantastic.  I wish to get a hold of some seeds of the original BRS Gigante Amarelo.

Thanks for the information Berto. Are both of these hybrids? So they will be slightly different in second generation?
Oscar
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
Oscar,
That's correct! 
FYI, I just read that Embrapa came up with a new yellow maracuja variety in which the distance between the male organs and the female organs of the flower is narrower so the common apis melifera will be able to pollinate the flower. Apis meliferas were considered a "pest" before because they just stole the pollen with pollinating the flower.  Mamangavas (xylocapa spp) http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=abelhas+mamangava&v_t=client96_searchbox&b=image%3Fq%3Dabelhas%2Bmamangava%26s_it%3Dspelling%26v_t%3Dclient96_searchbox%26oreq%3D35f2fca92f6a4342b52ecdf52cad140a&img=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_312a5DGVXcg%2FShqvQIgaQqI%2FAAAAAAAAAbY%2FotJKQBmMc7o%2Fs400%2FMMM.JPG&host=http%3A%2F%2Fmeliponariodosertao.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F05%2Fabelha-mamangava.html&width=123&height=92&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-partners-tbn.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcSd5aUnSbFRU2lbz1O23mevbSVqpbYh6mFhnf3X3k7SUNVKC7rrN9TGvA&imgWidth=400&imgHeight=297&imgSize=37266&imgTitle=abelhas+mamangava and manual pollination were the main pollinators of yellow maracuja flowers.  With this new variety, appis meliferas (common european bees) or africanized bees will be able to do the job.  That's great news for people that grow yellow  maracuja.  Embrapa is a first class operation!  They do a fantastic job all over Brasil.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:09:33 PM by Berto »