Author Topic: How is your mango tree trimming pruning going for this year?  (Read 944 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
How is your mango tree trimming pruning going for this year?
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »
I am basically done. I had six trees in need of serious cutbacks and I did it this week.  I have half a tree left,  as in I am going into the center of it with an electric polesaw to make it more of a teacup shape. Half the time the trimmings are thrown in with the garbage pick up.

But half the time I take the leaves and young green branches.... Throw them on my lawn and go over them my lawn mower to add to lawn humus. As October approaches I look for apically dominant branches that shoot upward. There will be just a few, but to cut them down to the same level as the more patient branches.

What month is good to fertilize with potassium? October?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: How is your mango tree trimming pruning going for this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »
None, I want mine as bushy and thick as possible to protect from the cold come February. Plus Ill never have my completely shading canopy to reduce lawn mowing if I trim them back. :P

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 08:30:16 PM »
I'm confused as to when to trim Neelam. I believe I'm supposed to wait till all fruit are harvested? That won't be till September, and I'm wondering if that's too late in the year to trim a mango?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 09:56:44 PM »
I'm confused as to when to trim Neelam. I believe I'm supposed to wait till all fruit are harvested? That won't be till September, and I'm wondering if that's too late in the year to trim a mango?

You can prune when there are 10 mangoes left. Just don't knock any off.  Or wait until all fruits are off.  The mango tree will recover in time for next year.

Or do some pruning now but most of it after all fruits are picked.  The worst time to prune is when mangoes are in the young to middle growth stages. This deprives them of food.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 10:36:40 PM »
Thanks, zands!

yuzr

• Monrovia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 01:12:36 AM »
Keep or remove these branches?

Another view: