Author Topic: Visiting Costa Rica in November  (Read 1976 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Visiting Costa Rica in November
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:58:38 PM »
Hi! for those of you who live in Costa Rica I am going for a week, and I will be in the area of  Del estadio "Colleya Fonceca 100 mtros Oeste, in the Guadalupe area.
Can anyone suggest a decent place to stay that is safe for two traveling women where we can get our food if needed it.
I will also like to know if there are any areas where we can go and see the tropical fruit in season. Any suggestions will be appreciated I have never been there. :)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Costa Rica in November
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »

I sent you a message with some ideas.

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
Hi everyone!

I am also going to Costa Rica in October-November so let me know if you have any tips or suggestions, especially in what concerns the weather and the best regions for fruit farms and agro-eco-tourism.

Cheers,

Tiago

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
I think that visiting our area, "Caribe Sur", should be worthwhile in Oct./Nov.  we have a large collection and there is a small farmers market on Saturday mornings that gets some rare fruit.
Peter

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »
Thank you Peter!

Will send a PM with a couple of questions.

T

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 08:32:49 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I hope in the future I will have more time to spend there. :)

PJConnors

• Southern Zone Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
There is a big fruit festival in March in Orotina. I own three small rental cottages near Dominical up on the mountain with a super ocean view. We had a guest who said she was in CR to visit the festival. She came to stay with us after and had a huge assortment of tropical fruits, some I had never seen before. I am planning to go to the festival next time it happens.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
I haven't mentioned Orotina even though it is well known for fruits in CR.  Gary Zill's project is in that area but is about the only place, in my experience, that has much in rare fruits there.  There are lots of mangoes, citrus, etc. but not much that you wouldn't see in FL.  Orotina gets a nasty dry wind that is a major limiting factor for so many Equatorial fruits.
Actually, in the Dominical area there is no dry wind and a lot of rare fruits have been planted and there is durian production as well as lansium, baccaurea, lots of stuff.
Peter