Author Topic: Slow-growing Marang (Terap)  (Read 4974 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Slow-growing Marang (Terap)
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:20:53 AM »
I am concerned that something is causing my few seedling Marang to grow slower than their potential.  The grew fast in the shadehouse while they had energy from the seeds in plastic bags, but when planted out they've hardly put out any leaves. 

They are in well-draining loam soil, 40% shade (under cassava that will be cut out when the Marang grows a bit), and I water it weekly.  A bit windy, but not extreme enough to bother Jackfruit or Breadfruit.  Soil  is pH near 6.5.  I have not fertilized them yet.   Here's a sad picture of one of my Marang:

Since my Jackfruit and Breadfruit thrive in a similar environment on my farm, I can only speculate that Marang has somewhat different environmental needs.  Wind, maybe?   Any ideas?
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Slow-growing Marang (Terap)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:54:06 AM »
I had 3 seedlings, 1 died and the other 2 look worse then yours. Pedalai and Pingan seem to grow much faster.
My marangs are sure out of the wind so i also have no idea what the problem is.

Jackfruit can also grow slow for a year before growing fast, i hope they will speed up soon.

I just gave them natural fertilizers, hope it helps.

All my labels were bleached by the sun but i think i still know which is marang. They have small hairs on the stem/leaves but i don't see that on your pic.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:12:38 AM »
Yes, hair on the leaves.

I'm planning to dig up my worst one and return it to the shadehouse for some intensive care.  And then what....?
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:11:04 AM »
could very possibly have something to do with salinity, because you're doing everything else right. Marang aren't that far off Jacks in terms of cold tolerance, I've seen one growing and fruiting here in Brisbane. That  was in a reasonably protected area though, so wind is a possibility. I wouldn't fertilize until that emerging foliage starts to uncoil a little more.

That tree is too small to be planted out FYI--way, way too small. Rule of thumb that works for me is a foot of planting hole diameter for every foot of tree height. I usually plant out at trees at heights of three feet, with the exception being papaya. So 1 a meter hole for a 1m tree. Add pearlite to your backfill, and washed sand.

If you can get the fine, fine broken down shells, coral etc at the edge of the ocean and 'blanch' the salt out them you can make a fantastic gritty mix. You're not going to run out of it, either.

Ditto seaweed as a a soil conditioner. If you aren't collecting that, you should start.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:27:22 AM by starling1 »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »
When i planted the marang seeds some sprouted and then died back. Then sprouted again and survived. I kept 5 seeds. (gave the rest away and hope to hear how they are doing now.)

I didn't check my tree's for several months but it seems one marang has lost it leaves totally and then made new leaves who look perfect. It has a woody stem and 2 sets of perfect leaves, It is still very small though.

The other one also has ugly leaves like yours but i think they will get over it. I don't know what to do  so i let them be.

Next time i will plant more seeds and see which ones do the best and keep those. Pingan and pedalai all sprouted and look great.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:43:24 AM »
Marang like more prolonged shade when young than jacks or breadfruit and need more water.They prefer a more humid climate until large.If your rainfall is less than 2500m/yr and a dry July to November season is usual then mulch heavily,provide more natural fertliser but away from the trunk and shade until the rainy season at least.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »
Fill a container with garden soil. Add equal amounts of organic compost and sand to form the rich sandy loam the marang tree prefers.
No Matches Found. Please try your search again.
Harvest the seeds from a healthy, ripe marang fruit by cutting the spiny rind away from the white flesh to access the seeds. Wash the seeds thoroughly to remove any residue.
Plant the seed immediately. Although marang fruit seeds have an excellent propagation rate, they do not remain viable outside the fruit for long. Place the seed in a hole roughly twice the length of the seed, about 1 inch deep and cover with soil.
Water thoroughly to fully moisten the soil and collapse any air pockets. Keep your marang seed’s soil moist but not soggy.
Transplant your marang seedling into a larger container as soon as the first leaves mature -- approximately a month after the seedling first appears. Continue watering the seedling regularly to maintain a moist but not wet soil. Place the seedling where it will receive full sun.
Mist your marang seedling once or twice a week to add moisture to the air. As a tropical tree, marang fruit trees thrive in high humidity.
Move your marang tree to its final location after one year. In USDA hardiness zones 9 through 13, the marang will grow outdoors in full sun, but in zone 9, you will need to protect the tree from frosts. In all other growing zones, place your marang tree in a protective structure such as a greenhouse.
Fertilize your marang tree with 7 to 14 ounces of ammonium sulfate after planting and 2 pounds of fertilizer per tree twice a year after that.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-marang-artocarpus-odoratissimus-88595.html

The one that i planted in full sun/huge pot (with shadenet) is dead, the other 2 get half days full sun without a net and have smaller pots.

Jack seedling (amber) in full sun grew twice as much as the one in half days full sun. It is almost a metre high now ( i pruned the tip twice since beginning) and the marang from same age are about 15 cm. All are in the same soilmix and on sprinkler in dry period.

Rob P

• Australia, Gold Coast Queensland. 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »
Your seedling tree needs more shade and probably water as well. Once they get to this stage they usually become stunted and may or may not recover and grow well even if you correct the shading and water, proper shading is very important for Marang until they are at least 6 to 8 feet tall. I made the same mistake with my first young tree and gave it too much sun when it was only 2 foot tall, I corrected this for my second tree and it thrived and fruited even in my marginal climate.

aroideana

• Tropical north Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 10:42:19 PM »
In wet tropics with regular pruning we are getting fruit in 3 years .
A few cvs with more entire leaf have proven pretty reliable .

I have been calling this BB1 [Brightons Best] , pic of Kerry McEvoy in front of Bob Brightons back yard tree.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:21:41 AM »
You must have a lot more sun than me or something.  How long is your day in the summer?
I can’t believe the way your tree has leaves right down to the ground. Here, marang wants to shoot long branches with a more open growth pattern.  I’ve been pruning every six months and it’s a challenge to keep the tree under 4m.
Peter