Author Topic: jujube  (Read 2557 times)

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
jujube
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:34:13 PM »
So, i have just started up this year with some jujube trees. I have a Li in a 7 gallon pot, amd a honey jar in a 15 gallon pot. Purchased the trees from a nursery in the area and they already had fruit on them. Was aytraxted to the idea of a fruiting tree that relished in hot summers. The trees have been doing well, but lately i have been noticing that the Li imparticular some of fruit has been softening, and it isnt ripe. It seems to harden back up again after the tree is watered. I know jujube's dont like wet feet, so I have been watering the trees every other day, but the temps have been over 100 degrees on the regs. I am wondering if they need to be watered more often. If anybody has any experience with this, please advise .

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: jujube
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:43:13 AM »
Jujube is drought-tolerant if you don't care about fruits. You need to keep them watered if you want fruit. Every other day sounds like enough water though. How long do you water each time?
So they're in pots. Could the pots be getting baked by the sun and cooking some of the roots? You might need to do something or put them in ground if that's the case.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »
I water till the pots drain usually. The tree looks happy otherwise. No drooping leaves or anything. I have stepped up to watering daily to see if that helps. The pots probably do get warm. The trees are in full sun, and we have been getting temps anywhere from the high nineties to like 112. I been hesistating on putting them in the ground because of the excessive heat. We are well past prime planting season for the kind of heat we get in this area. I do have some soil conditioner i can add as a mulch layer to the pots. For now anyway.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:05:05 PM »
I've never seen a drought tolerant jujube.

Very thirsty tree, and doesn't like hot roots either.

If you're growing in a pot, avoid plastic pots.  Go with fabric containers which won't overheat, such as Smart Pot or 247.

I have to water mine daily, sometimes twice, during the summer.

If you grow in plastic pots, if the sun touches that pot at all, you'll have dead zones in the roots.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
I just bought some 247 fabric pots. Just got them today. I bought 2 15 gallon pots. I transferred the plants today, so we will see how they do. The trees were pretty tight up against the pots they were in. I tried really hard to not disrupt the roots so i dont disrupt the fruit that is on there. We shall see how things go.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 01:01:31 AM »
I believe you made the right choice.