Author Topic: Any drawback to Maha chanok?  (Read 11934 times)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Any drawback to Maha chanok?
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »
MC is excellent. It must be eaten a touch green for me to enjoy it. It fruits well in my humid environment.  However, it is not in my top 5 anymore, maybe not in top 10. Pineapple Pleasure, Dot, J12(Super Julie), LZ, Sweet Tart, Seacrest, Fruit Punch are just the ones I can quickly think of. I have not tasted many of the new releases yet either.
Brandon

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »
Tell me about the Super Julie- how is the tree performing??
Www.sailing-charters.org

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »
My tree is recently planted, a little over a year ago. It broke 10 inches above the graft during Irma. Before then, it was growing nicely. I had been tipping it often and it was bushy, which was its downfall. It is coming back. The one other tree I know of sets good crops in a humid environment. The fruit seem to have a decent shelf life and hold up well with refrigeration.
Brandon

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:55 AM »
Thanks Brandon
Www.sailing-charters.org

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 06:04:29 AM »
The few MC that I tasted didn't seem mild in taste, but then again I haven't tasted all these mangoes you guys talk about. I can't seem to find them on island and sadly I can't easily order a shipment from the mainland. I need to go to Florida one summer and check out all the mangoes you guys have.

So I guess there are minimal drawback other than there are better tasting mangoes out there.

Do the mangoes like Lemon Zest, Piña Colada, Peach Cobbler, cotton candy, ice-cream, etc actually taste like their names or is it a subtle hint of flavor?

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 06:08:00 AM »
Roblack I have minimal experience with grafting and I am worried if I try top work a mango tree I might butcher it

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »
I was going to get one but Frankie Nursery told
me their tree did not bear fruit for them.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »
Totally agree. I ate a bunch of Maha's last year. Many from Florida and some off my own tree. Very aromatic, sweet and tart (not as pronounced as Sweet Tart) are the primary flavors and the secondary flavor is very nuanced almost floral. Very well balanced (not too much of any one flavor characteristic) but certainly not bland.

It is interesting to hear people talk about its lack of precociousness. I grafted my Maha scion onto Manila in 2016. It flowered and fruited for me in 2017, and is flowering right now for (hopefully) another crop in 2018.

:D It's only mild when eaten at the wrong stage. I don't like mild mangoes myself. It took me several tastings before I found the sweet spot.

I think a lot of folks pan certain mangoes because they're eating them at the wrong stage. For example, I hear a lot of folks claiming that the nam doc mai is bland (just pure sweet). However, that's only true if eaten when fully yellow. If eaten at an earlier stage, it's actually an incredible mix of sweet and tart.

Maha Chanok tastes a lot like sweet tart when eaten at the right stage.

Carrie is another one that is compost fodder when eaten at the wrong stage, but quite delicious when eaten slightly green.

Drawbacks? Yes.  It does not taste as good as a number of the new Zill varieties.

100% in agreement, we know taste is subjective. if someone likes mild mango this would be great for them. I like super sweet or super complex or both. Mild mangoes are not for me or my wife.
- Mark

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
Kangtt I was just at Frankie’s yesterday inquiring about it and they said the same thing. They didn’t seem to impressed with MC and told me to get Kook Lom Krong instead. They said it’s just like the MC but lacks the blush and is a better producer. I tried kook Lom Krong once before and I dont recall it tasting alike. Maybe it was a bad one though. Anyone have input on this mango?

Bummed Frankie’s doesn’t carry Maha Chanok. Not sure where to get it on island.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »
Anyone in Hawaii growing Maha Chanok and if so how well does it produce?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
Roblack I have minimal experience with grafting and I am worried if I try top work a mango tree I might butcher it

My experience with grafting is rather limited as well, so someone else should chime in and show the way.

I just found some stalks that were around the same size as the scions received, clipped them near enough to the ends where green was still noticeable on the outside, cut a slit down the middle, and placed a v-shaped wedge of the budwood down into the cut. Then buddy taped them as well as could. Its been about 10 days now, they look good but too early tell if the grafts took. Was advised to wait until it gets hotter to graft, but came across some scions and jumped. hth

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
Jessg333,

Kauai Nursery and landscaping (808-241-5165) carries a Maha Janok...might
be just a different spelling...try ask them.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:47 PM »
Drawbacks? Yes.  It does not taste as good as a number of the new Zill varieties.

100% in agreement, we know taste is subjective. if someone likes mild mango this would be great for them. I like super sweet or super complex or both. Mild mangoes are not for me or my wife.

I don't care for mild mangoes also, but I say Maha is an excellent tasting fruit at its peak. The fruits from the grafted tree bought from FL, 3' tall, is mild. But the fruits I grafted from FL tree to a big 10' from seed tree was out of this world. I had to sit down biting and licking into the paper thin seed and not fall down from heaven. Timing is crucial -- I picked it when the fruit was still firm but had strong smell. Glenn is a mild fruit in my scale.
My tree have many flowers every year since first planted, so maybe SoCal and FL have total different effect on flowering behavior. I don't know how Maha taste like in tropic region like FL and Hawaii but it is a keeper in SoCal yards.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
Do the mangoes like Lemon Zest, Piña Colada, Peach Cobbler, cotton candy, ice-cream, etc actually taste like their names or is it a subtle hint of flavor?

To me Lemon Zest tastes more like a Minneola tangelo grown in Florida on sour orange or Cleo rootstock and eaten in January or February, not like the zest of a lemon. That is, rich, sweet, wonderful.

And  Piña Colada really does remind me of a delicious and fruity drink.

Little or no experience so far with the others.   :-[

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
Jessg333,

Kauai Nursery and landscaping (808-241-5165) carries a Maha Janok...might
be just a different spelling...try ask them.

It was discussed in a another thread, but I doubt the KNL Maha Chanok is the same as the Florida one (and I would venture to guess its different than the one at Frankie's). The scion for the KNL was "borrowed from King's garden in Thailand".  I expect flowers this year on one tree. I can take stem and leaf photos for comparison.

I would love to grow the the Floridian version against the KNL version. 

SoCalDan

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »
I know mangos can be subjective, but the Maha is one of my favorite trees in the yard.   

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »
Agree. On both counts.

I know mangos can be subjective, but the Maha is one of my favorite trees in the yard.   
Jeff  :-)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 03:01:52 AM »
aloha mango carries Maha Chanok but the owner also tried to dissuade me from getting it. He called it a “bland flavored mango”. I wonder if they just don’t produce well in Hawaii

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 08:34:20 AM »
aloha mango carries Maha Chanok but the owner also tried to dissuade me from getting it. He called it a “bland flavored mango”. I wonder if they just don’t produce well in Hawaii

Just curious, what mango varieties are the Hawaii (on Oahu) nurserymen pushing (recommending) nowadays?   Rapoza?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:37:06 AM by wslau »
Warren

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
I don’t think they are pushing any in particular, but the lady at Frankie’s did suggested himayuddin and Rapoza. All I know is that the few nirseries I talk to try to dissuade me from buying Maha Chanok and suggest alternate Thai mangoes. One tried selling me a chok anon instead which I though was only an ok tasting mango

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
The growth habit of Maha Chanok tends to be very lanky and open, which does display the gorgeous fruits to maximum effect.  I do like the flavor.  I only had some in 2015.
Har

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
I have been seeing quite a few people report MC as bland tasting with little flavor complexity. I agree with Cookie Monster, it is a great mango and one of my favorites when eaten at the right stage (before "fully ripe") just the same as I like my Nam doc mai. Eaten at the proper stage it is complex and sweet and tart.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
Even 'Tommy Atkins', when tree-matured and eaten at the slightly-green-and-crunchy stage, especially with the skin's also being eaten with the pulp, is adequately enjoyable.  Two days later, well ripened and nicely soft, these same fruits will be for practicing one's aim for the garbage can, either still whole, when one already knows, or blasted from one's mouth, when one is still learning!
Har

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 12:54:53 AM »
I had one but it was just too slow growing and the branches were very long. The freakish coldsnap we had here in Orlando killed it too while other varieties seemed to fair just fine in the exact same location; perhaps this means that it is less cold tolerant?

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 03:47:14 AM »
That is possible. Fortunately I live in Hawaii so cold tolerance isn’t a concern for me, but slow growth is. I am not known for my patience  :o