Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620909 times)

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #775 on: October 08, 2013, 01:48:47 AM »
I am new here, my name is Jason. I am in ecuador trying to find ideal land to grow fruits of a wide variety. I eat mostly fruit and some greens n sometimes potatoes n soup. Locals think im crazy but thats nothig new, been raw vegan for 4 years. It led me to fruit love and to moving to the tropics. Recently I realized ive become a hippie pretty much. I was from the united gates, and im addicted to durian, I wish I never tried it because it makes other fruits less amazing by comparison, but its too late now.

Im also a Master Herbalist, into natural healing, love aquaponics and permaculture, been reading as a guest for a year and lots lately so I joined and ill hit you with questions I havent found results for in the search sometime soon... I like your place here thanks for keeping it alive and growing fruit!

;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #776 on: October 08, 2013, 02:19:10 AM »
Hi Jason, welcome to the group! Are you able to find any durian there in Ecuador?
Oscar

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #777 on: October 08, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »
Hi Jason, welcome to the group! Are you able to find any durian there in Ecuador?

I have not found any yet but I heard of it being at least two places, up near san isidro, north of esmeraldas and at jims finca. Priority is finding nice land right now, then getting seeds or graftings!  Im very excited for it as its been at least 2 solid years of preparation.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #778 on: October 08, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
Hi Jason and welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to hearing about your quest for land in Ecuador.  In the meantime, I think your personal text needs some editing. I think if your trying to say you love sweet fruits, it would be "Yo amo frutas dulces."  Or I supposed you could say......I love fruits of sugar.......Yo amo frutas de azucar.  As it is, it reads......I to love fruit sugar.  Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
Hi Harry and Jason,

I would say Me encantan las frutas dulces. Amo is not really used in this context, but if you really want to use it I would shortn the phrase to Amo las frutas dulces.

Jaime

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 08, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
Hi Harry and Jason,

I would say Me encantan las frutas dulces. Amo is not really used in this context, but if you really want to use it I would shortn the phrase to Amo las frutas dulces.

Jaime

See.....that's what happens when you get a gringo attempting to speakor write Spanish.  You are absolutely right, of course.  I was trying to conjugate what was written, and translated literally to a wrong conclusion.  Thanks for the correction to my correction.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #781 on: October 08, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »
Gracias mi espanol no bueno claro jaja pero mi en ecuador porque me encantan las frutas dulces. I was just going for what my mind could translate which was intended to be, I love fruit sugar. Thanks for the help Harry y Jaime!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 08, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
Hi Harry and Jason,

Jaime

See.....that's what happens when you get a gringo attempting to speakor write Spanish.  You are absolutely right, of course.  I was trying to conjugate what was written, and translated literally to a wrong conclusion.  Thanks for the correction to my correction.

Me encantan las frutas dulces is perfect spanish. It is an elegant way to say I like sweet fruits. Yo can say "Me encantan" what ever you like.
I say, me encantan los aguacates, or mangos or ............
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:15 AM »
So, me encantan would be like.....the flavor enchants me or is enchanting to me.  Me gusta would be that the flavor is pleasing to me or I like it, right? Yo amo would be the love for a person.....I think I got it. Thanks to our native Spanish speakers for the lesson.  As you can see, I still have lots to learn.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 09, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »
That's exactly right, Harry.

Jaime

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 12, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
Hello everybody, My name is Nancy, I live in So Cal, and just started to grow tropical fruit trees. I have been reading this blog for the last few months, but I wish I had known about it before I started planting my few trees 2 years ago. I have some citrus trees in containers, a Haas avocado and a seedling guava in the ground. Earlier this year I planted 2 Atemoyas in the ground, but one got root rot, so I googled to find out how to deal with it, that's when I found this forum and some others, I have been lurking all this time, and now finally found the courage to jump in. LOL. I learn so much from reading your posts. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 13, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
Hello everybody, My name is Nancy, I live in So Cal, and just started to grow tropical fruit trees. I have been reading this blog for the last few months, but I wish I had known about it before I started planting my few trees 2 years ago. I have some citrus trees in containers, a Haas avocado and a seedling guava in the ground. Earlier this year I planted 2 Atemoyas in the ground, but one got root rot, so I googled to find out how to deal with it, that's when I found this forum and some others, I have been lurking all this time, and now finally found the courage to jump in. LOL. I learn so much from reading your posts. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Welcome to the forums Nancy.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 13, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »
Glad you joined Nancy
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:01:15 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 13, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
Thank you, Nullzero and Carlos.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 15, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
Hi my name is Stephen I live on Big Pine Key, just wanted to introduce my self, lots of good info here!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 15, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
Hi my name is Stephen I live on Big Pine Key, just wanted to introduce my self, lots of good info here!

Wow - how close are you to Adolf Grimal's old place?  And, welcome!

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 15, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
1.23 miles as the crow flys

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 18, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
Hi, I just joined the other day.  My name is Carolyn, and I live in Boise Idaho.  We are USDA zone 6, but I have a 15x30 ft zone 12+ greenhouse in my back yard (ok, it sort of IS the back yard...). Costs more to heat than the house.
I have about 80 different species out there right now, and I am mostly interested in tropical fruit - I some cavendish banana (have had two crops so far, and am hoping for a third this year off these new plants), two different varieties of cacao (have not tried to pollinate them yet), coffee (lots of beans, learning how to roast them properly!), vanilla orchid, cinnamon, dragon fruit and a couple other varieties of blooming tropical cacti, lychee, several different citrus, date palm, jelly palm, coconut palm, a really weird fruiting conophor vine from Africa, and a bunch of other things.
I am ALWAYS looking to buy, sell or swap tropical fruit plants, seedlings and seeds! 

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 18, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
Hi, I just joined the other day.  My name is Carolyn, and I live in Boise Idaho.  We are USDA zone 6, but I have a 15x30 ft zone 12+ greenhouse in my back yard (ok, it sort of IS the back yard...). Costs more to heat than the house.
I have about 80 different species out there right now, and I am mostly interested in tropical fruit - I some cavendish banana (have had two crops so far, and am hoping for a third this year off these new plants), two different varieties of cacao (have not tried to pollinate them yet), coffee (lots of beans, learning how to roast them properly!), vanilla orchid, cinnamon, dragon fruit and a couple other varieties of blooming tropical cacti, lychee, several different citrus, date palm, jelly palm, coconut palm, a really weird fruiting conophor vine from Africa, and a bunch of other things.
I am ALWAYS looking to buy, sell or swap tropical fruit plants, seedlings and seeds!

Hello and welcome! awesome collection youve got there!

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 18, 2013, 10:03:52 AM »

Very nice!  I'm jealous!

Michiganian

• USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids - USDA Zone 5B
    • View Profile
    • My iStock Portfolio (Photos & Illustrations)
« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Hi, my name is Cassandra. I'm not in the greatest climate (zone 5B) for growing tropical fruit trees, but after I spent 6 weeks in Thailand last fall, I fell in love with a few! My favorites were longan. I planted a few seeds after I returned to the states and I now have three beautiful little longan trees. They seemed to do OK outside during the summer months, but I really think they prefer the indoors here because of some issues we have with high winds in their outdoor space. The other fruit I just love is jackfruit! I ended up receiving 32 seeds last month and thought, what the heck, I'll try planting. 31 out of the 32 have sprouted, and the most robust already have leaves on them. If they keep growing at this pace, the will soon be taller than my year-old longan!

Ideally, I would love to own a small greenhouse for them all, but that's just not possible in my location. I have all my trees on a large table in my room with a grow light suspended above them. I dunno how long this setup will last, depending on how tall the jackfruit get. I've brought in a heater, which I normally do for the winter, so this room should be at a minimum in the 70's.

I am here mainly because I have never grown anything tropical beyond these guys and I need all the pointers I can get.

Nice to meet you all!

P.S. Yes, I even have a Thai pepper plant in the mix now too. :)
~ Cassandra

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 18, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
Nice to have you on the forum, Cassandra! I have never tried longan, but have a small seedling, your love of them makes me wish I had kept more! Good luck with the jackfruit (another fruit I have not tried), I hope they all do well! Jackfruit are fast growers, so I have heard, and can begin flowering after barely a year.

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 18, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »
Nice to have you on the forum, Cassandra! I have never tried longan, but have a small seedling, your love of them makes me wish I had kept more! Good luck with the jackfruit (another fruit I have not tried), I hope they all do well! Jackfruit are fast growers, so I have heard, and can begin flowering after barely a year.

Patrick, I was first introduced to them while staying in a small village up in the northeastern region. I don't know why, but once I started eating them, I just couldn't stop. I think I bought out all the fruit the local market had, which was maybe a few pounds (I suspect that they were at the tail end of their season). Then I bought another large bag of them at Suvarnabhumi airport on my way out of the country. They were my sustaining food for the flight home, since I ended up with last picks for my choice of "airline meals". Some folks say it's sort of a coconuty flavor. I don't actually think so. They are unique. And as for jackfruit... have you ever had Juicy Fruit Gum? I've been told that jackfruit is where it gets its flavor from! Folks in Thailand don't typically let their fruits ripen (case in point, green papaya salad is a favorite dish over there). When I had jackfruit there, it was yellow and OK, but the flavor sort of reminded me of a banana. Then when I got back to the states, I found a huge chunk of jackfruit at a local Asian market, and the edible pieces had a deep orange color. I brought it home, and that was that. Favorite tropical fruit #2. My other favorite I have not attempted to grow here yet; mangosteen. Fresh, it's awesome. Aged... well, trying to cut through the shell/skin once it's browned is like trying to saw through a log. And unfortunately all the mangosteen I've found locally is the tough stuff. 

I'm glad to hear that jackfruit grow so fast. I don't know what species of jackfruit I ended up with. The seed retailer just said the fruit is deep orange, sweet, thick and crunchy, with very little fibery membrane, and supposedly it's also "latexless". I personally didn't mind the latex. I actually thought it'd be cool to utilize the latex into materials for making art.

Good luck with your longan seedling! :) I hope you get some fruit from it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:30:31 PM by Michiganian »
~ Cassandra

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 18, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

Patrick, I was first introduced to them while staying in a small village up in the northeastern region. I don't know why, but once I started eating them, I just couldn't stop. I think I bought out all the fruit the local market had, which was maybe a few pounds (I suspect that they were at the tail end of their season). Then I bought another large bag of them at Suvarnabhumi airport on my way out of the country. They were my sustaining food for the flight home, since I ended up with last picks for my choice of "airline meals". Some folks say it's sort of a coconuty flavor. I don't actually think so. They are unique. And as for jackfruit... have you ever had Juicy Fruit Gum? I've been told that jackfruit is where it gets its flavor from! Folks in Thailand don't typically let their fruits ripen (case in point, green papaya salad is a favorite dish over there). When I had jackfruit there, it was yellow and OK, but the flavor sort of reminded me of a banana. Then when I got back to the states, I found a huge chunk of jackfruit at a local Asian market, and the edible pieces had a deep orange color. I brought it home, and that was that. Favorite tropical fruit #2. My other favorite I have not attempted to grow here yet; mangosteen. Fresh, it's awesome. Aged... well, trying to cut through the shell/skin once it's browned is like trying to saw through a log. And unfortunately all the mangosteen I've found locally is the tough stuff. 

I'm glad to hear that jackfruit grow so fast. I don't know what species of jackfruit I ended up with. The seed retailer just said the fruit is deep orange, sweet, thick and crunchy, with very little fibery membrane, and supposedly it's also "latexless". I personally didn't mind the latex. I actually thought it'd be cool to utilize the latex into materials for making art.

Good luck with your longan seedling! :) I hope you get some fruit from it.

Welcome, Cassandra!  You sound about like me. . .we have a tropical fruit plant collection but nowhere to really house them.  We are getting a grow tent/light setup underway right now so hopefully they'll last thru the winter.
I also love jackfruit and have had similar experience with it - fresh/local stuff I had in South FL wasn't as good as the deep golden, super sweet stuff from the asian market in Nashville.

Patrick - you need to come to Nashville (or maybe Knoxville) so you can try Jackfruit!

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 18, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
Welcome, Cassandra!  You sound about like me. . .we have a tropical fruit plant collection but nowhere to really house them.  We are getting a grow tent/light setup underway right now so hopefully they'll last thru the winter.
I also love jackfruit and have had similar experience with it - fresh/local stuff I had in South FL wasn't as good as the deep golden, super sweet stuff from the asian market in Nashville.

Indoor gardening in small spaces... Fun times! ;) I actually rather love having green in my room during the winter. All that white fluffy stuff and bare-leafed trees are depressing.

I'm not sure why fresh local stuff isn't tasting all that great. I wonder if that's a Cultivar/type issue, or just a matter of the fruit not being ripe enough. Maybe a little of both?
~ Cassandra