Author Topic: Pineapple ID  (Read 2965 times)

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Pineapple ID
« on: April 08, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
I've got a pineapple that I need help ID'ing.  A few months back it flowered and rather quickly grew to the present size.  It seems though that for the past couple of months its staled at this size.  The fruit measures 10" circumference and 9" tall (base to tip of shoot apex, crown or bract).

thx

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple ID
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »
Wait until it ripens! But unless it has distinct attributes; like edible core or yellow or white meated flesh would be hard to tell. ;) 

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 12:01:28 AM »
What's the timeframe for ripening?

scottarch

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:19:23 AM »
Wait until it ripens! But unless it has distinct attributes; like edible core or yellow or white meated flesh would be hard to tell. ;)

Which varieties have edible core? In Tahiti they grow them, they were smaller and with edible center, I would like a chance to grow some.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »
Here's my pineapple a couple months later.  Started changing into yellow past few weeks.  Still not sure what type it is.  Wondering if it's ripe or close, still no pineapple smell.

Just removed about 10 slips from around the fruit.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:46:31 AM »
I would say maybe a Kona Sugarloaf.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »
I would say maybe a Kona Sugarloaf.

You could be right.  I did purchase and plant a Kona Sugarloaf.   All the leaves are serrated so could be the rough variety.

I need to figure out if it's ripe to pick yet.  I think it needs to be yellow all the way through if I had to guess.

Thx
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:58:25 AM by Orly »

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »
I think it's nearly ready to pick.  It's almost completely golden except a little at the bottom.  I'm planning on waiting till it's all yellow then harvest it.  I still can't smell the pineapple aroma (unless my nose is up against it).  The crown leaves do pull off relatively easy.  It's gotta be close.  I guessing within a week or so.

Not a large pineapple but my first.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:17:29 PM by Orly »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
It should be ripe already

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »
Very nice.    :D
Brad Spaugh

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
It should be ripe already

Simon

Really?  I was waiting for that strong fragrance but heck I don't really want to wait any longer.  I'll probably pull it off this Friday and eat it for Fathers Day, YUM.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
So I just harvested it today.  I'm going to wait till tonight to ceremoniously cut the pineapple at my dads place tonight. LOL  I'll post pics of the cut pineapple tomorrow along with my thoughts on the taste.

Still not certain what type of pineapple it is. 

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
So we ate the pineapple last night.  This is the first time I know of that I eaten a non-commercial pineapple so I can only compare it to those.

As it was being cut, it released a lot of juice which I found unusual.  The flesh was yellow and a little softer than the usual pineapple but not mushy.  The core was not edible, hard but very small. The consistency was very juicy and non-stringy, the typical issue of the fibers getting caught in-between the teeth non-existent.  The taste was awesome.  Very sweet with no trace of tartness.

Though it was a small fruit, it was extremely delicious.  I very much like this variety, whichever it may be, and will be growing more.  Hopefully they bear larger fruit in the future.

I have a couple of commercial (MD-2?) pineapples that have recently started fruiting so it'll be interesting to see how those compare.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk