Author Topic: Post pics of Pitombas!  (Read 29665 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Post pics of Pitombas!
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »
Thanks HuertasUrb...

here is your request.  They're about the size of a fig.

Taste like apricot and apple sauce.

wonderful, my mouth waters, I will have to cultivate them some day:-D, along with the pitangatuba who say it is very tasty too.

is true that eugenias are slow to bear fruit, the Uvaia flourished here 2 or 3 times this summer but no fruit, not the pitanga, and are trees of height 1.8 m

I wouldn't say eugenias are slow to bear fruit. Remember that there are many hundreds of species of eugenias! Pitomba just happens to be in the very slow camp of eugenias. But some eugenias are also very fast to fruit.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »
Thanks HuertasUrb...

wonderful, my mouth waters, I will have to cultivate them some day:-D, along with the pitangatuba who say it is very tasty too.

is true that eugenias are slow to bear fruit, the Uvaia flourished here 2 or 3 times this summer but no fruit, not the pitanga, and are trees of height 1.8 m

I wouldn't say eugenias are slow to bear fruit. Remember that there are many hundreds of species of eugenias! Pitomba just happens to be in the very slow camp of eugenias. But some eugenias are also very fast to fruit.

Pitangatuba for instance?
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
Thanks HuertasUrb...

Pitangatube is a lot faster fruiting than pitomba, and pitangatuba can start fruiting when very small plant, unlike pitomba.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
Ptiombas the size of a fig? That would have to be a very tiny fig. The pitombas i had were about same size as grumichamas.

the grumixamas ive seen are about the size of small cherries...the pitombas I have are much larger...the size of figs for sure...like Celeste and brown turkey...not a huge fig.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
Ptiombas the size of a fig? That would have to be a very tiny fig. The pitombas i had were about same size as grumichamas.

the grumixamas ive seen are about the size of small cherries...the pitombas I have are much larger...the size of figs for sure...like Celeste and brown turkey...not a huge fig.

Get grumichamas here about same size as your photo of pitomba. Ofcourse there are small grumis and large grumis on trees at same time, but they can get very large. Still i've never seen any figs here that small.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2013, 08:04:36 PM »
Im not saying its an absolute authority, but if you look at the size recorded in Brazilian fruits, for figs, pitombas, and grumixamas, it supports my observations.

Get grumichamas here about same size as your photo of pitomba. Ofcourse there are small grumis and large grumis on trees at same time, but they can get very large. Still i've never seen any figs here that small.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
Im not saying its an absolute authority, but if you look at the size recorded in Brazilian fruits, for figs, pitombas, and grumixamas, it supports my observations.

You're right that the pitombas pictured in Lorenzi's book are larger than the grumis. I wonder though when he takes those photos if he can always get an average sized fruit to photo or if he has to take whatever is available? I think probably the later in most cases. As for the figs, though they are similar in width to pitombas photoed they are still quite a bit larger due to their length. They aren't round like pitombas.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:40:50 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
Thanks HuertasUrb...

The fasted ( that I grow )  and damn good fruit when well ripe is the Eugenia pitanga , another CONDO fruit Oscar ....

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »
now the message has been lost in quotations..lol (Luc and Oscar both)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »

I edited mine to correct that.
Oscar

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
Just checked my 2 potted pitombas.  Both have fruit for the first time. ;D

The shorter one has 2 fruit and has many more branches than the taller.  Three years old from seed.

The taller has 6 small green fruit.  Bought it from Home Depot at 2ft tall.
Dan

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »

How do you do that Oscar ? ( edit )

And to answer where Lorenzi takes his pics , I was on a field trip with him , pics were taken right there were the fruit was . Some taken back to the Plantarum .

Luc  ...still pitomba poor...

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »

How do you do that Oscar ? ( edit )

And to answer where Lorenzi takes his pics , I was on a field trip with him , pics were taken right there were the fruit was . Some taken back to the Plantarum .

Luc  ...still pitomba poor...

Go back to your own message and click on Modify (right next to Quote), change your message, and then click Save.
I wasn't asking where the photos are taken, i was asking whether it's always possible to always get average sized fruits, good representative fruits, to take the photo of? I think not because some of the fruits are very rare, and often special trips have to be made of many hundreds of kms. to get one photo. Also note that the photos are taken by the many co-authors, not just Lorenzi.
Oscar

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
Pitombas pictures are fruit off my 15 gallon. The 7 gallon is for sell I will post in buy sell trade.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:23:04 PM by TREESNMORE »
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk