Author Topic: Graft sun protection?  (Read 3490 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Graft sun protection?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 01:40:00 AM »
Brad, I use plastic bag for humidity, then custom sized brown lunch bag for sun protection.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:55:55 AM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 10:58:06 AM »
We have a few sunny days with high temperatures, high wind, with  10% humidity.
High wind and low humidity are what desiccate the new leaves on new grafts.

We use plastic bags to retain humidity and white paper bags over plastic bags to block the sun.

Thats how the weather is here all the time.  Its been especially hot and dry this spring. Because its on top of the hill with nothing around its really hot dry and windy. 

Sounds like I may need to use plastic bags also.  I have always been concerned about the greenhouse effect with bags.  Do you guys cut a hole in the bag or just cover it up and seal it with no air holes?
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 11:00:09 AM »
Brad, I use plastic bag for humidity, then custom sized brown lunch bag for sun protection. Never had any problems with my grafts. My 100+ grafted loquat tree is a result of this method. I reuse the bag(if clean) but throw away the clear plastic bag after use.

Any air holes in the plastic bag to release heat or fully sealed?
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
Brad, I use plastic bag for humidity, then custom sized brown lunch bag for sun protection. Never had any problems with my grafts. My 100+ grafted loquat tree is a result of this method. I reuse the bag(if clean) but throw away the clear plastic bag after use.

Any air holes in the plastic bag to release heat or fully sealed?
Brad Spaugh

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 12:38:30 PM »
Hi Brad,

This is how I did here.  Start with semi-open slowly open depending on the new grow.

I did this on 8 citrus grafts and within a week they all fell over after we got some nice wind.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 02:16:29 PM »
"Any air holes in the plastic bag to release heat or fully sealed?"

Yes, just cut the top 2 corners of the plastic bag (1/4" hole) and that will prevent to much water/moisture build up, and no need for continuous monitoring of it. If the plastic bag is skinny, then cut only one corner.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 01:30:58 AM »
Hi Brad,

This is how I did here.  Start with semi-open slowly open depending on the new grow.

I did this on 8 citrus grafts and within a week they all fell over after we got some nice wind.

As you can see in the picture, the top and bottom are wrapped tight, open up the middle.  Open up the top when new grow is pushing out.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 01:08:35 PM »
Kaz, what do you think about this bag?  It has a plastic liner in it and has a window to see through and has metal tabs to bend to hold it on the tree. 

https://www.clearbags.com/4-1-4-x-2-1-2-x-10-1-2-white-kraft-tin-tie-bags-w-window-1-lb-100-pieces-ttw2w.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7UiN7hOur6riW9FBo5Nim3Q2ttLCY9wty2FtroEND71Od9Tzin1jFbkaAvRJEALw_wcB

I'm going to try and find some maybe one size larger. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 04:19:15 PM »
Brad, those are nice, but price is high. I liked the window idea.

Here's the cheap ones I use, you can get these small lunch bags for normal skinny scions sticks. I get 2 custom bags (cut down center) out of one of these lunch bags.

If you are grafting a multibranch scion then you will want the next larger size that Target sells.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:26:57 PM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 04:57:32 PM »
Kaz, I like the way you think.  My father inlaw used to tell us before he passed away "you pinch the pennies, the dollars will pinch themselves".   I'm trying to do everything as cheap as possible here.  1100 feet of deer fence cost me 4 grand with parts and some labor.  Thats the big expense here, keeping the critters out.
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 05:27:35 PM »

$2
A couple of weeks back it was mid 80’s here.
Temperature on white bag was 96F.

Can’t imagine how hot it’s in a brown bag.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2021, 05:31:07 PM »

$2
A couple of weeks back it was mid 80’s here.
Temperature on white bag was 96F.

Can’t imagine how hot it’s in a brown bag.

i was thinking the same, white seems a better option.  its really hot and dry here, Im worried the paper bag alone is not enough.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 05:33:36 PM »
Ok, guys I agree, for Brad in the 90's it will be best to use white bags. Most of my grafts are not always in direct sunlight since I have so many trees growing next to each other.

Go for it.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 08:28:28 PM »
Hi Brad,

I use the 4x16 Uline poly bags sold on figbid for my grafts.  Bags are  narrow and you can roll bottoms to desired length and leave open, then cover with white paper lunch bag.  I can bring some to you on Tuesday when I pick up plants if you want to try them.

Janet

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 10:51:26 PM »
Interesting you guys are more concerned about the heat in Cali, in FL it’s more rain that penetrates the grafting tape and causes rot and graft failure. What I do for this is reuse a white plastic grocery bag to prevent rain but in the heat’s case could probably work too.

-Joe

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 10:28:33 AM »
I recycle peoples old window screens and use them. Sometimes have to double up.
Also I buy bulk zinc oxide powder to stick in sunscreen, and use some it to brush on parts of plants that are getting burnt, it works quite well, not sure if it would be any better than calcium carbonate chalk, likely about the same..

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »
Today 70F 50% humidity, great weather.
Tomorrow 88F 10% humidity, probably windy too.

We don’t need graft protection today.
We need it tomorrow.
It’s a different ball game here.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 06:14:01 PM »
today its 78F and 30% here and windy.  Tomorrow I guess it will be over 90 and low humidity
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2021, 10:39:54 AM »
it was over 90 for 2 days with single digit humidity here.  Now the weather broke and its 73% humidity here with fog. 

i went and looked at the grafts and the bags saved them!  Yay!  That was a lot of grafts that would have been wasted.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2021, 02:05:49 PM »
Brad, great news!

I hate it when I forget to put the bags on the avocado grafts and the new growth gets burnt and dries up and dies. Don't remove the bags too soon on your new grafts. I had winds blow off some covered grafts and I didn't see it until it was to late. Now for any rare/good varieties I graft, I also tie down the bag with green garden wire to keep it from blowing away. This works well.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2021, 02:47:25 PM »
I used the green flagging tape to secure them. Ut I'm going to order wire ties so its easier to open and close.  I also used the window bags since they had built in plastic and windows it makes it much easier for me to go around and check on the grafts.  Its too much work to open and close 70 bags at a time.  Tbis is taking a lot of effort to graft in ground trees this way.

Not sure if I'll graft in pots next time or just do them earlier.  The grafts from January are already fully exposed and growing fine. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2021, 02:54:30 PM »
I would do them earlier next time. I have no failures because I grafted in Dec-Jan on my seedling plants. About 80% good takes since I didn't monitor them and re-graft the bad grafting job I did on my 75 seedlings. Also didn't really use any brown bag to protect from the sun when it started to get warmer here.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:56:14 PM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »
My January grafts are going without protection, never did anything for them.  The only worry there is if we get a cold snap in January or February, these are on the hill, I can't move them.  I'm trying to decide what is less painful, doing 150 potted trees and have to water them and move them around or plant the seedlings then graft in January and possibly have to mess with bags and regraft, worry about weather.  Both are a pain. 

Heres a January tree

Heres some February and March trees.  Now they are calling for rain tomorrow, my bags will get wet...  Big pain to go take them off and put back on. 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2021, 03:12:33 PM »
These are next years trees, I've got 200 seeds in pots.  I can plant them in May and June like last year or keep them in pots all year and graft in January and plant in a year from now.  If they go in the ground now they get watered automatic and will be much larger.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:14:35 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
Brad your Jan grafts look great, yours are growing strong. My potted ones are nothing like your in-ground seedlings.
I like the white bag with a window. If I had to graft to in-ground seedling that's the way to go (a little extra $ for the bags).
You have so much land it is larger than a nursery, nice !