Author Topic: Anyone growing Hamlin on US-897?  (Read 2305 times)

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Anyone growing Hamlin on US-897?
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »

I planted one a few  feet from the south wall of the house... supposedly field tests limit to 9 feet and thats after 10 years..  Year 3 and its 8 feet now. I can only use the " Honey...its a dwarf " line so many times to my wife . The tree was banded and
showing US-897 from a reputable nursery. Anyone else out there have experience with this rootstock? comparision to flying dragon?

Also, second question. Any danger to a slab foundation - planted 2.5 feet out from the  corner of the foundation? Slab was poured 8 inches thick. Im under the impression citrus root systems are more matted as Ive seen in my other trees...
l

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Anyone growing Hamlin on US-897?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »

I planted one a few  feet from the south wall of the house... supposedly field tests limit to 9 feet and thats after 10 years..  Year 3 and its 8 feet now. I can only use the " Honey...its a dwarf " line so many times to my wife . The tree was banded and
showing US-897 from a reputable nursery. Anyone else out there have experience with this rootstock? comparision to flying dragon?

Also, second question. Any danger to a slab foundation - planted 2.5 feet out from the  corner of the foundation? Slab was poured 8 inches thick. Im under the impression citrus root systems are more matted as Ive seen in my other trees...
l

I can't see how US897 is a dwarfing rootstock. It is a hybrid of mandarin x trifoliate. All other hybrid trifoliates are very vigorous like swingle grapefruit x trifoliate and citrange orange x trifoliate. Both those hybrids grow citrus trees 4-6x faster than trifoliate and make a big tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
In the US897 field trial literature that I have red, it is stated that the rootstock produces dwarf trees in *comparison to other rootstocks*.  However, nowhere in the USDA literature did I ever see where they state what the USDA's definition of dwarf is. The other rootstocks that the USDA compared the US897 rootstock to must not have been Flying Dragon.  - Millet

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »
hmm.  I had thought us 897 was mandarin x trifoliate. The trifoliate being flying dragon.  Im going to let it ride a little longer and see. If i t breaks the height of the roof eve then it could shade my solar panels. Thats the concern here. I dont think the root system could be strong enough to damage the foundation.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:53:03 PM »
In the US897 field trial literature that I have red, it is stated that the rootstock produces dwarf trees in *comparison to other rootstocks*.  However, nowhere in the USDA literature did I ever see where they state what the USDA's definition of dwarf is. The other rootstocks that the USDA compared the US897 rootstock to must not have been Flying Dragon.  - Millet

Hybrid vigor is what makes crosses vigorous. If crossed with flying dragon I'd think it would be bigger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk