Author Topic: Micronized Sulfer - anyone using it on their Citrus  (Read 2357 times)

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Micronized Sulfer - anyone using it on their Citrus
« on: November 25, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
For some time I have been looking for a product that I could apply in the fall close to harvest that would act as a fungicide but more importanlty could deter/kill  mites. Every year my fruit becomes scarred and trees infested with mites.  I have used  everything from Neem oil
to Agrimek and nothing seems to work. Then I came across micronized sulfer which says it kills mites and also acts as a fungicide.  tI can be applied up to one day before harvest. Has anyone used this before and how did it work?

product- Bonide Sulfer Plant Fungicide

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Micronized Sulfer - anyone using it on their Citrus
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 12:47:12 PM »
I have never heard of Micronized sulfur.  The only product that I use is Ultra Pure Horticultural Oil.  - Millet

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 12:59:47 PM »

The directions show a large range of fruits and vegtables. Mixed in solution in a one gallon sprayer for citrus controls miters and fungus related issues

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:48:06 PM »
A few years ago sulfur was notorious about not mixing well with water. I'm sure the new formulations are much better and sulfur can be very good for plants as a minor element as plant food and it is a good fungicide. I don't know if it's as good as other fungicides but using sulfur would usually qualify as being an organic fungicide control. You would need to not use oil for at least 7 days or you run the risk of losing your leaves. Neem oil has organic fungicide properties but you have the same restrictions for at least 7 days with  sulfur or copper.

I would use a 'real' fungicide for rust and probably a pyrethium or malathion at the same time for mites.

I always use a backpack blower sprayer made by Stihl and it does a great job. Coverage is much better with larger potted or in ground citrus. I use mainly horticultural oil. Sulfur and Neem oil can smell pretty unpleasant. Fungicides work better as a preventive spray than trying to 'catch up' or kill what diseases you can see with your eyes.

Tom

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
Not sure what the negative talk is about sulfur.  It is sprayed regularly here for powdery mildew on mangoes.  Its knowing the right form and application method to be successful.

As for the Bonide product, while I have not used it, just cause it says it will do something is no guarantee it will.
- Rob

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »
Well I went ahead and mixed 3 tbs to a gallon and sprayed all my citrus . I found some old Florida articles about sulfer being used on citrus with good success. It left a powdery residue on all the leaved. Looks like the residue I saw on the leaves of a  small citrus mailed to me several years ago from Brite Leaf Nursery... I hope it works.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 08:08:35 PM »
Lime sulphur is an insecticide miteicide and fungicide all in one. There is a company Pennsylvania that still makes it. Need to be used when the temp is below 85 degrees F.

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
For the record, I found this did stop greasy spot and completely stopped my rust mite issues. I havent seen a live one in my loop now since last application. However- the sulfur was completely useless against citrus red mites. Unfortunatly Ive been battling those damn things now for years with no solution.  Spraying them off with a hose only work on a couple trees. I have too many.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
Red Spider mites are the only variety of mites that I get.  I have had excellent results with Ultra Pure Horticultural Oil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk