Author Topic: Could anyone comment on your gold nuggest mandarin from four winds?  (Read 1857 times)

Yellowthumb

• View Profile
Hi guys,

First time to be here, I am frequent on the gardenweb.

Is there anybody growing a gold nugget mandarin from Four Winds?
I have this gold nugget mandarin tree which I bought 5 years ago from a local garden center, I don't know which nursery it came from. The tree is a bushy form a bit less than 2 feet tall, over the years, it hardly growing any taller. This tree is finicky, easy to lose leaves. Didn't get any fruits except this year. Generally it seems missing some vigor that my other mandarins has.

If you have one, could you let me know if it's a tree form or not? Is it less vigorous than other citrus trees? If you could upload a picture, that would be great help.

Thanks
YT

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone comment on your gold nuggest mandarin from four winds?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
I have two Gold Nugget Mandarin trees, both from Four Winds growers.  Both of my trees are more bushy in shape.  I have not had any problems with either tree loosing leaves.  As far as the speed of growth that could be anyone of a hundred things.  If your tree is a container tree and spends its time indoors during the winter, you must be sure to provide the tree with enough cool temperatures (a process called Flower Bud Induction) in order to get a good bloom thus a good crop.  Citrus require 350 hours of cool temperatures <68F (<60F is MUCH BETTER)  in order to produce a good flowering that should give the tree a good crop. -  Welcome to this forum - Millet
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:35:26 PM by Millet »

Yellowthumb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »
Thank you, Millet.
My tree is in a container and spend its winter in my heater garage with a growth light. It's there almost 3 months with temperate around 50 to 60F. Do you mind taking a picture of your tree?

Here is my tree, it's very short and busy but leaves are kind of sparse.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »
I have a Golden Nugget Mandarin from Fourwinds and mine is also very low vigor.  It has barely grown at all since I received it, however I doubt this is because of the variety itself.  One of the boxes of trees I received from Fourwinds had dried outconsiderably during shipping and I believe the three trees in that box have been struggling ever since.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »
Remember that all Four Winds trees are grafted upon true dwarfing rootstock  Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk