Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620627 times)

Guoyang Gao

• XiChang, SiChuan Province,China 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1425 on: March 04, 2018, 09:56:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
     I come from a small city in Southwest China. As a green hand, I've planted some  Eugenia species,Jaboticaba species and Carica(papaya) species in my garden. My hometown has a sub-tropical plateau climate which always provides us with generous sunshine as well as apparent diurnal temperature fluctuations and uneven rainfall. So I come here to learn from all of you and share the joy of tropical fruit growing.
    Again, I'd like to express my appreciation to everyone, especially the staff behind this forum for your passion and devotion.

Best Regards,
    Guoyang

gaston85

• FRANCE, USDA Z 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 05, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
Hi everybody,
i am running a nursery in France. We focus an uncommon plants and particularly fruits (for french people!!). At the moment we develop asimina, feijoas and hardy Citrus . I am looking for new ideas like Psidium or uncommon fruits worthy of attention that are somewhat hardy (-8 celsius at least). personnaly i am interested in every plant and more if it taste good.

Diyfreddy

• Rosemead/Los Angeles 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 06, 2018, 01:32:46 AM »
Here to learn about growing/grafting/air layering etc  tropical and fruit trees in general. Not a total newbie but I have lots to learn I’m sure. Presently thinking about growing my own Ataulfo seedlings for grafting here in SoCal
🌱

MangoManic

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: March 09, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »
Hi Gang,

Though I'm a new member, I am not new to the forum. I have used it as a go-to when learning about mangoes. I have been particularly interested in grafting experience and poly vs. mono-embryonic classifications of mango varieties. I purchased my first plants last year and am preparing to plant them during the rainy season this year.

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 13, 2018, 02:49:04 AM »
Hi everyone,
My name is Linh. I live in Orange County, Southern California.
I have been reading and learning a lot from forum postings. I don’t know enough to say much. I have great intests in life sciences in general. Since junior high school I have been very interested in plants. I was hybridizing orchids for few years. Collecting unusual plants.
I learned about grafting mainly atemoya and my first scions I got it from flying fox.com about three years ago. I tried citric fruits, but not too successful.
Currently, I have
Atemoya: African pride (two types?), Geftner, Lisa, phet pakChong, Mr minh (Vietnamese like), two other types not sure the name
Guava: Thai seedless
Mango: glen
Lychee: sweetheart, emperal, marritus
Cherimoya: El bumpo
Sapodilla: hayas, Makok, silawoods, Venezuela, Alamo, Moreno, Molix.
Citric plants: plumelo, kishu, Meiwa kumquats, lemon, lime, mandarinquat
Papaya: dwarf ? Name
Jujubes: sugar cane, honey jar, GA866, Thai milk-jujube
Soursop
June plum
Miracle fruits
Jaboticaba: red, black
I am still learning, and continue to learn from the masters.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 21, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Gabe.  I live in Covina, Ca.  Zone 10b.
I just recently started to go organic and thought I'd try my luck in growing
My own tropical fruits, as well as citrus fruits.
I have always enjoyed seeing my father with his green thumb grow anything and everything he tried.  That turned on a light in me.  I figured if he can do it ,  so can i...lol. 
So far,  my citrus trees are doing great (Myers, bears, Mexican lemon, and satsuma).  Also currently growing Eureka lemon, And an Orange trees from seed. 
I also have a Keit mango, A Asian variety, not sure of what kind,  and currently germinating a Kent seed.
I found this site because I would like to get deeper into tropical fruit growing as well as grafting. 
I know there is a lot to learn on the subject and I'm sure I have came to the right place to start my learning.
In my opinion,  I think learning from people who have first hand knowledge and experience is the best.
I look forward to learning from you all.

I have also had lots of luck with

EndUser

• USA, Florida, Palm Beach, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:02 PM »
Hi everyone, I’m Abu Isa, transplanted from the north to Palm Beach.  I’m a dad, husband, physician, first time homeowner, and hoping to be a mango farmer (in my backyard), just as my dad was back in the old country.  Now that I can finally plant my very own mango trees, I’m looking forward to learning a lot from, and contributing to, this forum. I do what I can to minimize my carbon footprint. I’m a fan of renewable energy, enjoy driving my Tesla, and have an interest in tech, science, and sci-fi. On any given weekend you’re likely to find me with my family at Lion Country Safari, Palm Beach Zoo, LegoLand, or Kennedy Space Center, or exploring farms from Palm Beach to Homestead. Future hobbies I’d like to learn- farming, fishing, boating. Cheers  ;D

Aaron Le

• HCM
    • View Profile
    • www.lavite.com.vn
« Reply #1432 on: April 16, 2018, 12:50:20 AM »
Hi there,

This is Aaron from Vietnam. It is great to receive helpful information around the world.

By the way, I am selling semi-dried dragon - no sugar - no preservatives. My website is https://lavite.com.vn/. there are lots of information you can find there.

If you are distributors looking for diversifying your category, please email me at toan.leduc96@gmail.com for more detail.

Many thanks guys

voyager

• Pahoa, HI - USDA 12a/12b
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Photo Gallery - Alaska - Hawai'i & Elsewhere
« Reply #1433 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
After over 30 yeas in Alaska I decided I needed a  change of climate.
My old bones were not dealing well with winters anymore.
So, we moved to Hawai'i, and have been on Big Island for over 4 years now.

There were a few fruit trees on the property when we bought.
I have put in many more new trees:
Bananas, tall and dwarf Brazilians, and ice creams, ended up digging the ice creams out because we didn't like them, love the Apple bananas though.
Tangerines, Honey and Satsuma. Turns out there was already a Honey tangerine here, plus what I think may be a Fremont tangerine.
I'm having problems with the Honeys.
I'll be asking questions about them later.

Put in a Biew Kiew Longan, a Lychee and a Rambutan.
The Rambutan died and the Lychee looks to be failing.
he Longan is doing quite well, hoping for fruit in the next season or two.

There was a Sharwil Avo here already.
I added a  Lamb-Hass and an Ota.
All three produced fruit to maturity last season for, the first time.
The Lamb-Hass is now ripening its first season's fruit with next season's crop having begun to grow already.
I chose the avo cultivars because they should give us tree ripe avos 6 to 9 months out of the year.
All three are having some problems that I'll be asking about also.
I'm thinking about adding a Yamagata avo.
That should give us tree ripe avos for almost the full year.

I also put in a Jaboticaba, and am impatiently waiting for its first fruit.
I've put in a few pineapple patches around the yard, mixed white and yellow types.
We had homegrown pineapples last year with a few now beginning to form for the coming season.

A Lilikoi was already here and has been a prolific producer.
An orange tree was already in also.
It turned out to be a Valencia, terrible peeling and eating but a delicious juice orange.
I added a Tahitian Lime last summer, impatiently waiting for its first fruit too.

A Kaffir Lime in a pot that came with the property, it got planted.
Its leaves are being used for cooking.
No fruit yet but I am curious to see them when they arrive.
Finally, a couple of Lemon trees were  here, a dwarf Meyer and what I think is a Eureka.
There'll be a few questions about them also.

I think that's about all we've got for now.
There are a few more I'd like to put in if I can find a place for them.

EDIT:
I forgot, I've also put in a couple of dwarf Solo Papayas.
I planted the 15" seedlings just over a year ago.
They are now about 4 to 5' tall.
One has developed the round type fruit, while the other is carrying a more elongated fruit.
They are self fertile, and developing fast.
From the size of their first fruit they should begin ripening in a very few months.

I had tried a couple of Strawberry Papayas 3 to 4 years ago.
They were about 8' tall when they set their first fruit.
The fruit had no seeds in them, and did not taste very good.
I dug them up

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:55:43 PM by voyager »

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 04, 2018, 01:04:25 AM »
Hello All - I'm brand new to the tropics, moved recently to north shore Kauai from Oregon.  Originally from Alaska, I've been gradually moving farther south.  I'm very excited about growing tropical fruits, and would like to grow some garcinias and eugenias, among others - the more exotic, the better!  I recently purchased 2 achachariu seedlings from Steve Starnes on the Big Island, and would like to find out if anyone on Kauai sells rare/exotic seedlings or seeds.  I'm really INTO seeds, and have been ordering from a variety of mainland companies (a bunch from Tradewinds Fruit), with mixed germination results.  Currently I'm trying to germinate about 60 Syzigium aqueum (pink) seeds which were kindly given to me by a Big Island grower.  They have not yet sprouted but I'm hopeful!

wilka

• Suriname Paramaribo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 18, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Hello folks my name is Edmundo. I am an organic farmer in Suriname (South America) who loves eating fruits. The sweet ones :D :D

BW

• USA, Ga/Fla, 7b/8b-9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 29, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself to what appears to be a very knowledgable group.  I currently live in NW Georgia where I have an orchard and vegetable garden.  The fruits I currently have growing are: Apple, pear, figs, Asian plum, European plum, persimmon, grapes, peach, and blueberry. 

My wife's family is from Florida and they have gotten me interested in tropical fruits.

I look forward to to learning a lot.

BW

AloeThere

• N FT MYERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 02, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »
Aloe There - Live in Southwest Florida and trying to grow some fruit trees.  My main obsession are mangoes - collecting and learning about the various varieties.  Looking forward to learning new info on growing.

-AT   

bartekbolk

• Warsaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rehalab.com.pl/firma/gabinet-stomatologiczny-kolodziejczykowie.html
« Reply #1438 on: July 05, 2018, 06:45:38 AM »
Hey I am Bartek from Poland ;)

vinetou80

• Tenczynek,Poland zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 10, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
Hello Bartek i'm also from Poland :)

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: July 11, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
Hi, 

Joining from Pasadena, CA.  New to plants in general, learning more and more everyday.

Pankaj Kumar Meena

• Pomologist
  • Be happy Make happy
    • Lucknow, INDIA
    • View Profile
    • Pankaj Digital Photo Studio
« Reply #1441 on: July 13, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »
Hello everyone myself Pankaj Kumar Meena. I am a student and at present pursuing M.Sc. Fruit Science. I am from India.

sttmike

• st.thomas, vi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 17, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
good morning all,

i have been reading this forum for several months now and have been overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge that this resource provides. my sincere thanks to all for such a wonderful source of information.
i was prompted to register after the recent outage and cookie monster's post saying that funds would be required to update the database.  count me in for whatever contribution may be required.
my background is that i was born in the chicago area and moved to st. thomas in the mid 70's.  i recently retired after irma & maria mash up my office and am in the process of replanting after losing many of my plants to irma, maria and deer.  : >)
i lost duncan, glenn, keitt, valencia pride mangoes, pollack & lula avocados, arkin carambolla.
so far i've begun to replant the mangoes with duncan and venus  (i have a ndm that survived) and am trying to decide on 3 or 4 other varieties.  avocados are currently pollack, lula and oro negro.
i have pineapples (varieties unknown), bananas (what are locally called ''figs'' but i have no idea what the cultivar is), surinam cherry, mexican thornless, seedless lime, washington navel orange, genip (spanish lime), cinnamon, bay rum and guavaberry.
again, thanks to all for the resource.

all the best,
mike

ExoticJenny

• Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
Hello everyone! I am very happy to be a member of this forum! If it goes to me I love tropical fruits not only because of their taste, but growing them is really fascinating for me. I started my adventure with gardening a few years ago, but growing exotic plants became my new passion a few weeks ago. Hope that I will found some useful information here! :)

zoli.seedpirates

• rare seeds
    • View Profile
zoli.seedpirates introduction
« Reply #1444 on: July 27, 2018, 04:57:42 AM »
Dear Members,

This is an introduction post, although many of you may already know me, or know about my existence.
Together with Nimfa, my wife, we created SeedPirates in August of 2017 to spread tropical seeds from around the globe internationally. In this project it is usually me, who process, package and send seeds. I also develop our IT infrastructure to manage our orders to provide our buyers a good and reliable experience, you can enjoy the convenience of our website and mobile app [links below] also developed by me.
We travel around the world to catch good seasons and find rare fruits. We strive to improve our cleaning packaging methods to improve the success rate of our deliveries.

You can find our available seeds on our website:
http://www.seedpirates.org/availableseeds
Here you can also find a gallery of the fruits we found since the beginning of this project, and you can register and order seeds.

We have an iOS app to give you an even better experience of ordering seeds:
App Store link

Our future plan is to grow the platform to Android in the near future and develop Push Notifications so you can ask for notification on certain types of seeds instantly and conveniently.

Thanks,
Zoli

nancyyy

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 31, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm joining from Los Angeles.  Glad I found this forum. I am learning so much from everyone.  As of right now, my interests are in Avocados.  I just moved into a new place so I have a new backyard space to play with.

Best,
Nancy

Hil

• Spain, 10a
    • View Profile
    • New Vidas
« Reply #1446 on: August 08, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »
Hey all,

New here, although I've been quietly reading the forum for a while.
Originally I'm from The Netherlands, but I'm living in Poland right now. Both have cold winters, which meant container growing. But next month we are moving to Spain. Where we have bought some rural land. It has a lot of old olive trees, a few pines, carobs, an almond tree, a fig, blackberry bushes and the regular regional herbs like rosemary, thyme and cistus.

The climate there is a lot warmer and probably good enough for growing some of the more hardy tropicals:
- 2700 hours of sun per year
- 550 mm of rain with a dry period in summer
- Average maximum temperatures between 16-30 degrees Celsius (61-86 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Average minimum temperatures between 8-20 degrees Celsius (47-68 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Yearly extremes range from 0-41 degrees Celsius (34-106 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 400 chill hours (0-7 degrees Celsius) per year

So I'm hoping to learn about new things that can grow in the region, which varieties are best, where to get seeds or plants and of course to get to know some people with similar interests  :)

Priyanka

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 11, 2018, 03:46:12 AM »
Hi, everyone. I am Priyanka from Canada (zones 5-6a). I love gardening, especially growing tropical flowers, vegetables, herbs and of course, tropical fruit. I live in a high rise in the big city but that doesn't stop me from growing different things or at least, trying to grow them. I am definitely what you could call a "zone pusher". I grow some native plants but tropicals are what I LOVE because I was born in a tropical country (and raised in Canada)! I am here to learn new things, grow as a gardener, as well share my own experiences with everyone and maybe even be of help to others! 😊

The_Last_Saxon

• Vancouver, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 14, 2018, 11:19:09 PM »
Hi,
I am a plant LOVER. Despite living in Canada (albeit Vancouver, a warmer area of the country), i like (attempting) to grow tropical fruits both inside and outside. Everything from figs to lychee to pomegranates etc. Professionally, I run a landscaping business and work with plants for a living. So this hobby is really just an extension of my work. That being said, I always love learning new things and am willing to help others as well.
Cheers.

zoli.seedpirates

• rare seeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 19, 2018, 12:45:19 AM »
In recent events I was accused by another forum member by a couple of things.

He says I swap seeds and than people get different seeds then what they pay for.
In his case i had to swap two kinds of seeds out of 8 because of the nature of his order (it had to be posted on the same day with EMS, to ensure that the rest of his seeds arrive to inspection unsprouted)
Normally I always communicate if i don't have something available, and we find a solution together with the buyer. In his case and in the situation we were in this was unfortunately not an option.

He also accused me of cancelling his order based on the wording that he found on the tracking page of the package.
"24 Jul 2018, 04:27:00 PM   Export cancellation Item disposed off according to sender's instruction."
Obviously the package was not cancelled destroyed due to my instructions. It would be suspicious and very counter-productive from me to call the customs and ask them to destroy my package (if such thing is even possible). They did it on their own unfortunately.

I am sorry for your losses Paul.
I keep on working hard to provide everyone with great seeds and great customer service.