Author Topic: Just got my order from POG  (Read 5438 times)

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
Just got my order from POG
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
I just got my Pickering mango from POG and was surprise to see a 7ft tree with nice branching.It's probably
taller because a couple of 1ft branch has broke off during transport.He also gave me a 5ft surinam cherry.Here is
a couple of pics:

I will be putting this one on the ground next week or in a big 24 gal pot.I have one more space to plant in the ground and I was saving that for an Edward. What you guys all think ground or pot will be ok for my pickering?....Currently I have 4 mangoes in the ground Mallika, Carrie,Alphonso,Ewais, & Manila.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my order from POG
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
If your others mango trees do well in ground, I'm sure your pickering will too. If you have space plant it in ground, but if you want to plant it in a pot don't go right away to a 24gallon pot go to a 15gallon pot or a pot slightly larger like 2-4 inches bigger. By the way, great trees!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »
)Ant - yes, I liked Micky and the MahaChinok he sent me a year ago, WITH a Surinam Cherry as well.  It was only slightly smaller than your's....now....I want to ask you....

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT AN EDWARD?  I have a big healthy growing 5 foot X 5 foor tree that throws out lots of flowers every spring but not a single fruit has stayed on the tree...I'm SO frustrated with it.  Just letting you know, when they say, SHY BEARER, they really aren't kidding!  I'm probably going to top work/graft some other varieties on to it, so I have a tree in the future that gives me something!

I know it's supposed to be excellent tasting, but if ya can't even taste it....!

grrrrrrr.......... >:(

GrrrrrrrrFang

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
Ant,

Nice tree! Got to save some money up for mango tree from POG, seems like its worth it. If your ever interested in trading mango budwood, I got Julie & Ewais. Your pretty close to me so maybe we can meet up and exchange some plants some time.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
u going to PUG your plants from POG?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
Mangofang, I am thinking about Edwards now.I do have a friend in Lakewood that grows Edward anf fruits consistentlybut not as much fruit as his Glen.

Asaffron, no I will not pug because mango in So.Cal tends to stay in the small side except for Manila & Valencia Pride.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »
Fang your Edward may be not holding fruit because of your intense heat.  Or maybe it just isn't big enough yet.  If I was you I would wait and see what happens when it is bigger.  It would be a bummer to give up on such a great tasting fruit.

Ant21, If you only have room for one more tree in the ground then I would put this Pickering in a 15 gallon pot for now and up pot it later.  A 24" pot or maybe a 45 gallon pot would hold it well.  There is a place in Garden Grove that sells 45 gallon pots.  Anyone know how many gallons a 24" pot holds? 

It is a nice looking tree.  Definitely don't pug it.  Like you said our slow growing summers will keep the tree small. 

How big is your friends Edward in Lakewood?

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »
24'' is likely 15gallon to 17 gallon I guess.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
this is kind of a Tangent.
Bestday some mango trees can handle extreme heat.The town of Cloncurry is a total 'shiphole' and has mango trees all over that bear heavily.

The coldest month has mins that average 52f and it only gets 20inches of rain a year.It's one claim to fame is the heat.The bureau of meteorology recinded Cloncurry's formerly official record of 129f because it wasn't measured properly and another outback town holds the state heat record now.I heard the locals were upset, virtually running through the streets with pitchforks and refuse to take down the sign that details the record. 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
Pickering in ground for reasons that have been mentioned here---
  • Pickering is a slow bushy grower and will grow even more slow in a pot. Though there are guys out there who know how to juice up pot growth
  • All mangoes grow more slow in arid California (compared to Florida) so plant it
  • Despite your tall good looking Pickering, this variety still has a bushy, slower growth tendency. The upside being that it puts more resources into fruiting.>>>>>>
  • So don't worry. If planted, it is not going to hijack a section of your yard

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »
I agree, in-ground is usually best whenever you can; if there's a reasonable chance it can live in your climate it will generally do much better in the ground.

Here's an interesting new study regarding plant stunting when grown in pots:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18612661

Even with the best and biggest pots in the world, plants always seem to do better when planted in the ground.  Sometimes that just isn't possible either due to soil, heat, cold, wind, lack of a proper greenhouse or even space constraints; then pots are the only option.

Kevin

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
Bestday, my friends Edward is about 12ft x6ft and about 7-8 years old.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:44 AM »
Well I planted my pickering on the ground.Had to put shadecloth for a week or so for the tree to adjust.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 12:19:19 AM »
Congrats Pickering is looking good.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
Looks very good in the ground.
Adiel

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
Well I planted my pickering on the ground.Had to put shadecloth for a week or so for the tree to adjust.

The Eagle has landed. "Mighty oaks from little acorns grow"

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
Mr. Long Beach (BestDay):

My Edward is like 5' X 5' - it's got to be like at least 4-5 years old and bushy - lots of flowers but no fruit held.  It was a 25 gallon purchase from Mimosa.

But, it your heat comment just might be true in this case - it's in an even unusually hot spot here in my yard - it's on the west side of a west facing fence (though that fence has bushes in front of it)  The problem is the pool and pool decking reflect heat in the late afternoon towards that spot so it's possible it is too hot.  I've got an umbrella and some shade cloth draped on that side of the tree.  The thing is growing nicely now, but we had some hot days in May when fruits were forming that might have gotten a dose of the extra heat without said protection  :o.  So it could have been my fault.

Next year, I'll be on top of it.  I mean, once the plant gets to be 10-15 high with an equal spread I'm hoping it will become self-protective - mainly shading it self.

OK - I'll hold off on my harsh judgement of the Edward for now...... :-X

fang

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
FYI, I don't know where I heard it or read it, but supposedly having a Glenn next to a Edward helps in flower pollination.    If that is true, maybe the Edward has a flower that doesn't get pollinated very easy.  and/or, you don't have insects that spread pollen.  Just guessing and throwing that out there.  Good luck with your mango!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk