Author Topic: Lime leaves don’t look right and fruit is dropping  (Read 715 times)

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
Lime leaves don’t look right and fruit is dropping
« on: January 03, 2021, 06:50:55 PM »
I hope everyone had a good holiday. I have a few questions about my lime tree.  It seemed to be doing really well this summer, but there has not been any fruit that has stayed on it since I bought it a year and a half ago. I brought it inside about mid nov and it was green and looking good. Then it bloomed and it started getting fruit that was hanging on. About a week ago I noticed some spider mites And noticed a lot of the fruit starting to drop.  So I sprayed the tree with dawn Soap and water About 3 days ago. Since then more fruit have dropped and not just the little ones. And the leaves started looking veiny. Does anyone know why it’s doing this and why I can’t ever keep any fruit. It is potted in the miracle grow garden soil mixed with the turf. I think I put it in to large of a pot last year because that was what I had. It is next to 2 south/ east south/west windows. I added rabbit poop for fertilizer but only added it to the top of the soil because it’s so high in nitrogen and have not added any other fertilizer in a while.

I have had a lot of citrus and the only tree that has done well was my meyer lemon in CHC. Maybe I should go back to CHC. That tree froze and boy do I miss it.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:56:54 PM by Desertcitrus »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Lime leaves don’t look right and fruit is dropping
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:16:27 PM »
Limes don't like the cold much, but the interveinal cholorosis is due to the high pH of tap water. If you add some elemental sulfur to the top of the soil, it should green up again if it makes it through the winter.

Meyer lemons can take some serious cold, but are sad compared to a good italian lemon.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »
The leaf deficiency symptom shown is an iron deficiency (leaves with green veins on otherwise yellow leaf)  An iron deficiency in citrus can be caused by either a lack of iron in the plant, or by high PH rather then a shortage of nutrient.

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 07:00:45 PM »
Thank you for your responses. Fortunately it didn’t get cold it was good when I brought it in.
Millet, since I posted this I read a ton of your posts and responses and I realized I am not fertilizing it near as much as I need. I’m going to buy the jacks professional fert. I was also going to spray it with iron now. Can I do that while it’s in bloom? Also I read about fertilizing Citrus trees when they are first planted. Does a potted citrus tree follow that same regimen for the first couple years?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk