Author Topic: Raised bed set up for cucumbers  (Read 882 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Raised bed set up for cucumbers
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:49:09 AM »
Well out temps are tropical in the summer and spring and fall so I think it fits here. I am working on a large multi-year raised bed garden and my first over-engineered bed is just about done. Its 30" tall 4'x4'. Full sun. I want to grow pickling cukes. Would putting up a north, east and west sided trellis work in this case? I am thinking all three sides should end up getting enough sun at various times of the day and maybe provide a little shade to each other so it isn't too intense.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Raised bed set up for cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »
I'm sure it would work. Hurry up, the window for success in cucurbits is closing soon. June and beyond is dismal with very high pest pressure. So, pickles would be a good thing as they are quick & can be stored till next year. I just decided to attempt some pumpkins/calabaza but am running late. I grow the Seminole pumpkin which can store a year if lucky.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
I have the seeds already in trays. I need to pick up some thick black weed cloth at lunch and I will start filling the bed with dirt. I should be ready long before the cukes have popped up. I have had middling results with seeds in the past so I might end up ordering starters from somewhere.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 09:52:19 AM »
Next day update, as I am used to trying to do tropical fruit trees and such by seeds when I cant find seedlings I am used to long germination times. I put those cuke seeds into seed trays on Monday and yesterday they were already pushing up so I will be finishing off that bed and filling it with soil this weekend.