Author Topic: Avocado graft  (Read 692 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Avocado graft
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »
I have an avocado that started to bud out. Is it still possible to use these stems to graft on a seedling? Or is it to late?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado graft
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:26 AM »
this one doesnt have any leaf buds.  If you just wait a month or 2 it will be done and have some new leaf flush coming that would be better to use. 

Brad Spaugh

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:49:04 AM »
this one doesnt have any leaf buds.  If you just wait a month or 2 it will be done and have some new leaf flush coming that would be better to use.

Thanks! So are those flower buds?
Do you mean I use the new grown stems for grating rather than old?

This avocado I have it inside the house after it lost all leaves in a colder greenhouse.
It's Zutano, is it possible to brush pollinate it? As it's the only tree flushing now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 11:51:11 AM by lebmung »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »
yeah its about to send out flowers.  just wait until they are done then use the harder wood thats already there when it makes leaf buds.  Its best to use semi hard wood for grafting. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 12:50:55 PM »
The other option is to graft it now, but I would use the branch on the left (still not fully open buds), if you don't want to wait another 1-2 months.
But if you do graft it now, when the graft takes and the tips open, make sure you cut off only the flowering buds before it get to far along. I have been doing the same with my seedling avocado grafts in Jan-Feb (60 plants) and they are doing good.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:49:26 AM by sc4001992 »

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
The other option is to graft it now, but I would use the branch on the left (still not fully open buds), if you don't want to wait another 1-2 months.
But if you do graft it now, when the graft takes and the tips open, make sure you cut off only the flowering buds before it get to far along. I have been doing the same with my seedling avocado grafts in Jan-Feb (60 plants) and they are doing good.

I think the lower buds are leaf buds. The tree has only one leaf, the rest fell, so I guess it start to shoot leaf buds as well.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 01:15:03 PM »
Yes, lower buds are leaf buds. But the branch on the right is already starting to open on the tip so I would rather use the branch on the left. You can see my photos to see how it will look in a month or so.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:46:24 AM by sc4001992 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 06:59:10 PM »
kaz how do you get it to push this time of year?  i did a few in early january and they look like takes but the buds started pushing then kind of stalled.  it looks like they will pickup again now its warm but seems like better to wait a month from now.  But ive been experimemting just to see how early is possible here.  the ones I did were outside on in ground seedlings not in the greenhouse. 
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 07:21:09 PM »
Brad, we up here on Central Coast of Ca. area have found that grafting in Jan till March we get the best takes. It takes longer for them to push outside because our cold weather ( at least me I'm close to Ocean) but inland my 3-miles and much warmer temps. My friend Jack Swords and I have experimented at different times of year and we have found that this time is higher percentage takes than other times of year. I think it has something to do with Dec. push of avocados new flush. I had to cut my scion wood from tree's earlier this year mid Jan. because tree's were starting to flush new growth.
I'm in Arroyo grande mesa area half way between Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk