Author Topic: Myrtus communis - a new Black large fruit variety named "Hanna"  (Read 745 times)

Ariel

• Israel
    • View Profile
Myrtus communis - a new Black large fruit variety named "Hanna"
« on: December 19, 2020, 06:50:39 AM »
Hi fellows
In winter of 1990 I went up to the Galile mts (Israel) to select and take "trio leaved" myrtle cuttings from the wild to plant and use but  - Trio Leaved - for the Socot Jewish Holiday. I also selected a few with rather large fruits or very productive types. As of yesterday - one fruiting type showed stability with slight sweetness and heavy crop and large fruits and named Hanna after my 89 years old mother.

I harvested lots of fruits for Myrto liqueur, fresh eating (slightly astrigent), soft drink (15% fruit by weight), dried fruits, jams, seed oil etc.

I read but scientific reviews about its potential uses and there are plenty about it.

Looking forward to know about your experience with this species.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
Re: Myrtus communis - a new Black large fruit variety named "Hanna"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:15:09 AM »
Ariel do you have pictures of this variety in comparison with the common variety of myrtle.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
I already have big fruit myrtle and we make liquor with it... it's our best liquor, really good!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
Luisport I would post pictures on Tuesday, so you can tell me if this is myrtle.

I have a common myrtle from Spain but this one is moderately resistant to the cold.
While the other plant whose seeds I had collected in a park seems much more resistant to the cold.
But I still have a doubt as to whether it is a myrtle plant because I had never seen a resistant myrtle in the area.

Your myrtle plant resists to what temperature?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
Luisport I would post pictures on Tuesday, so you can tell me if this is myrtle.

I have a common myrtle from Spain but this one is moderately resistant to the cold.
While the other plant whose seeds I had collected in a park seems much more resistant to the cold.
But I still have a doubt as to whether it is a myrtle plant because I had never seen a resistant myrtle in the area.

Your myrtle plant resists to what temperature?
I think all myrtle is very cold resistent... i never got any problem... but i don't know how much cold hardy he is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk