Author Topic: Physical Graffiti Dragon Fruit Self-Fertile???  (Read 819 times)

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Physical Graffiti Dragon Fruit Self-Fertile???
« on: May 24, 2020, 01:17:43 AM »
The other day I noticed a single white flower on what was sold as a Physical Graffiti from ECHO...

I have researched in the past when we got it and read it was self-sterile and needed other dragon fruit for pollination to produce, however we have no other flowering dragon fruit and this is the only flower on the plant as of now. The flower seems to be developing into a fruit so does this seem to be Physical Graffiti or another dragon fruit?

Or are we in for disappointment when the flower suddenly drops :'(

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Graffiti Dragon Fruit Self-Fertile???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 03:45:24 AM »
I’m pretty sure that fruit is set.
 The Physical Graffiti that I grow is definitely not self fertile but in saying that, it will occasionally set a fruit with no help from me. When I cross pollinate the flowers I get 100% fruit set almost all of the time. I assume that any fruit that appeared on unpollinated flowers(by me), are the result of insect carrying pollen from somewhere else.
If I left my P.Graffiti to the bees, I’d have little to no fruit.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »
Not had it long but my PG never sets on it's own.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:39:51 AM »
I’m pretty sure that fruit is set.
 The Physical Graffiti that I grow is definitely not self fertile but in saying that, it will occasionally set a fruit with no help from me. When I cross pollinate the flowers I get 100% fruit set almost all of the time. I assume that any fruit that appeared on unpollinated flowers(by me), are the result of insect carrying pollen from somewhere else.
If I left my P.Graffiti to the bees, I’d have little to no fruit.

Not had it long but my PG never sets on it's own.

Thanks guys,

Yeah, we were super excited and slightly confused to see what looked like fruit setting after we thought for sure the beautiful flower would simply fall off!

Don't even know of anybody super close growing dragon fruit for a chance pollination. We were just excited that it was flowering would be super grateful to try such an astonishlingly beautiful colored fruit.

I'll take another new picture as it looks even more advanced now. Just hoping when we cut into it that it is indeed Physical Graffiti! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk