Author Topic: How to store / keep lots of fruit in the kitchen  (Read 1456 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
How to store / keep lots of fruit in the kitchen
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »
Once our trees are all producing well we know we're going to have more fruit than we know what to do with and are trying to figure out a way to keep the fruit in the kitchen without using up all of our counter space and without having the fruit spoil too quickly. We've been thinking about getting metal wire-frame baskets and attaching them to the wall so we can store a lot of fruits and let them have airflow.  We also figure we'll want to get a deep freezer and put extra fruit in there.

I'm sure many of you have enormous harvests -- how do you deal with them?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: How to store / keep lots of fruit in the kitchen
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
You need to use an "all of the above" strategy. Sell some, trade some with folks who have something else later on, freeze some, dry some, can some as jam, jelly, etc.
I once lived in the tropics in a more open house without air conditioning. We had a fruit cabinet with fine mesh screen and legs resting in cups of water to keep away ants and flying insects. If there is something you want you can trade for it. I traded (windfall) mangoes with the fish market guys for fish guts/carcasses to make fish emulsion fertilizer which completes the circle, they were throwing it away in the bay anyhow.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
You need to use an "all of the above" strategy. Sell some, trade some with folks who have something else later on, freeze some, dry some, can some as jam, jelly, etc.
I once lived in the tropics in a more open house without air conditioning. We had a fruit cabinet with fine mesh screen and legs resting in cups of water to keep away ants and flying insects. If there is something you want you can trade for it. I traded (windfall) mangoes with the fish market guys for fish guts/carcasses to make fish emulsion fertilizer which completes the circle, they were throwing it away in the bay anyhow.

Oh, that's a nice idea -- I'll think about making a fruit cabinet like that...

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 01:28:30 PM »
drying it always uses up a lot of fruit and uses no energy to store

OliverPrice

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »
I want to change my kitchen, and I need a quality kitchen, because I love fruit very much, and I don't want my fruit to suffer from poor quality cuisine, who can help me with advice?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »
Is this spam?  two new users posting same cabinet url