Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 62569 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #800 on: Today at 09:31:34 AM »
Up potted my seedling plant. Currently flushing new growth

Nick, your seedling looks very healthy, will you be putting it into the ground eventually?

Thanks Ben, yes I’m definitely super stoked!

Jeramy, I’d agree it’s probably time to put that male on there. If you graft it soon, hopefully it will produce pollen for you next year.

Simon

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: Today at 11:01:12 AM »
Up potted my seedling plant. Currently flushing new growth

Nick, your seedling looks very healthy, will you be putting it into the ground eventually?

Thanks Ben, yes I’m definitely super stoked!

Jeramy, I’d agree it’s probably time to put that male on there. If you graft it soon, hopefully it will produce pollen for you next year.

Simon

Unfortunately going to stay container  bound, gets too cold out here

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: Today at 11:23:32 AM »
At least you know they do well in containers :) I have some fruiting in a #5 pot. The biggest problem I see is that they grow super fast and will eventually get too big to move around. With pruning, you should be able to keep them manageable.

Simon

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: Today at 11:28:59 AM »
At least you know they do well in containers :) I have some fruiting in a #5 pot. The biggest problem I see is that they grow super fast and will eventually get too big to move around. With pruning, you should be able to keep them manageable.

Simon

Nothing I won’t already be used to,  already have to move plenty of big trees in 30 gallon+ containers. Probably why I keep adding herniated discs every couple years haha

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: Today at 11:44:39 AM »
Lets see the progress of everybody's yangmei :)

Here’s a couple pics of my Yangmei jungle.

Pictures don't do your yangmei justice Simon...they are not just some of the most healthy yangmeis Ive seen but some of the most healthiest plants in general!

Thanks Fruitfool, pinkturtle and ScottR! It would be awesome to get some homegrown fruit this year.

I also planted seeds from my Weee order last Summer and some seeds are just starting to sprout. I just ignored them like everyone else and they sprouted on their own.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: Today at 11:46:07 AM »
Here’s the latest update on my male tree. The male tree started showing obviously differentiated bloom buds around November of last year per my reply # 674 on page 27 of this thread. Male buds started opening on 12/29/2023 per my reply # 686 on page 28 of this thread. Today, there are only a few male blooms remaining and all female buds are transitioning to vegetative growth. There are probably only about 10-20 small male blooms left on the male tree and they will likely release all their pollen within 1 week. This means that for this specific male I have, the bloom period at my location is approximately 4 months long with February and March as the main bloom/pollinating months.

Here’s a picture of a few of the remaining scraggly male blooms

If everyone can track their location, variety and bloom times, we can build a database that can help us decide which varieties to pair up with each other. The data will also be important for commercial farmers that may want to extend the fruiting season by planting early and late season varieties and also getting earlier or later crops based on location/climate.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk