Author Topic: Fruit thieves rant  (Read 7884 times)

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit thieves rant
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2020, 12:59:56 PM »
Sorry. I did not say that all the Romanians are Romani. I very well know that Romania got it's name from the Romans who occupied there. There are more Romanis in Bulgaria than Romania.
Romani have been in whole of Europe and grossly discriminated like outcasts leaving them with misery and never been openly accepted.
I was fortunate enough to know few of them in 1960s in Canada and UK and then later in US. I know of few musicians and few musical groups/bands who are very popular. Please note that the Romanis living in Romania like anyone else living there are also Romanians.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
Somme of my best friends are gipsy but those are decent people.
I dont discriminate them but here even the stray dogs are racists. If they smell your a gipsy they start to bark and chase you.

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:36:42 PM by Budtropicals »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »
lol this was a great thread until it went off on a Gypsy rant instead of a fruit thief rant.

Had to share this: I was walking  down the block
From my house yesterday evening with my wife, baby and dog. I spotted a middle aged overweight couple trying to hoist each other up to the unripe mangos on the swale of a duplex property. They were well dressed and kind. Me and my wife assumed they were residents of the duplex and I said “need a hand” because they had no picker. I’m about 6’4 and they were both knee high to a grasshopper. I figured they were one of the residents of the duplex standing next to their car and in their front yard. They were in no hurry and very nice. They spoke Only Spanish and I speak half-ass Spanish I learned living in Miami my whole life. The tree was holding heavy for very late In this Strangely early season and I must admit the thought crossed my mind of possibly receiving a mango-commission for my help. I reached and jumped and plucked the ones that I could reach and looked like they would maybe ripen in 7-10 days in the garage. They were very pleased with me success and offered my three of their mangos. I accepted happily. Then, to my surprise a black ford pulled along side them, they jumped in and cruised off into the sunset.
My wife, child and dog had just witnessed me as an accomplice to a mango heist, Complete with a sneaky getaway car and driver.

“THE PERFECT CRIME”

You can’t make this stuff up. Miami is a freakin Jungle.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:44:02 AM by Honest Abe »

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »
Glad we are back on track. 

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
Nice gipsy that probably stole more fruits than anybody else on this forum.
Became EU parliamentarian for 8 years then moved back to our nice country to live a humble and honest life.
For a professional thief to live where he lives after being like 8 years high end politician it doesnt seem he stole much.
Im glad that USA or otther countryes didnt stole our national value,this gipsy.
https://youtu.be/M-_d2Nbu5Bg

The otther bad guys- send them to the gulag   ;D.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:36:50 PM by SeaWalnut »

Cali-gal

• Camarillo, CA
    • View Profile
Try a Water Scarecrow
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2020, 06:02:23 PM »
Fortunately my fruit trees back a barranca, so no one can get to my ripe fruit. I've seen one or two people in the barranca on rare occasion, but they can't reach the fence-line. Anyway, one way I've discouraged thieves of many types (animal, human) is with a water scarecrow. It doesn't hurt anyone, but scares the heck out of them. I have it on pretty high so the pressure is good enough to soak them in milliseconds. I discovered them after I got tired of someone's big dogs using my front yard for their private bathroom. I also have cameras now. I just bought the signs saying protected by Ring, so hopefully that will add to the protection level. 

Honestly, in most communities I've been in, people are happy to share if asked.  We have a great group of people in my area trading for various fruits and veggies, and it's a load of fun. Many of us are on local Facebook and NextDoor forums and offer our excess produce to others for free. It's the stealing and self-entitlement that drives me crazy. It would never occur to me to just take fruits or veggies that I hadn't grown.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Try a Water Scarecrow
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2020, 10:07:55 AM »
Fortunately my fruit trees back a barranca, so no one can get to my ripe fruit. I've seen one or two people in the barranca on rare occasion, but they can't reach the fence-line. Anyway, one way I've discouraged thieves of many types (animal, human) is with a water scarecrow. It doesn't hurt anyone, but scares the heck out of them. I have it on pretty high so the pressure is good enough to soak them in milliseconds. I discovered them after I got tired of someone's big dogs using my front yard for their private bathroom. I also have cameras now. I just bought the signs saying protected by Ring, so hopefully that will add to the protection level. 

Honestly, in most communities I've been in, people are happy to share if asked.  We have a great group of people in my area trading for various fruits and veggies, and it's a load of fun. Many of us are on local Facebook and NextDoor forums and offer our excess produce to others for free. It's the stealing and self-entitlement that drives me crazy. It would never occur to me to just take fruits or veggies that I hadn't grown.
That is a wonderful idea. I will try to incorporate that into my squirrel deterrent program but they're like ninjas they come from the air Land and Sea. I have to be honest my first thought was Jehovah Witnesses apparently the sign in front of our subdivision that says no solicitation is not deterring them LOL

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk