Author Topic: dechlorinated water for jaboticaba  (Read 2537 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
dechlorinated water for jaboticaba
« on: May 14, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »
Hi,

I used this method to dechlorinated water for the jaboticaba tree.  using the sun and added lemon to dechlorinated the water.  Do you think this method will work?

Added lemon to lower the PH in the water and have the container close to the tree to create a mist environment

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:29:55 PM by pinkturtle »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: dechlorinated water for jaboticaba
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:30:20 PM »
That made me laugh.
Chlorine is a gas and will get out of the water by itself in 24 hours.
But the lemons,you have to squeeze them and mix the juice with the water or else they will not do nothing.You also added too manny lemons most likely ( this depends on the buffer that its the water and you cant know how much it is until you measure the ph and add acid little by little).

Rain water is verry ,,clean,, and if it has high Ph ,lets assume 8,you would only need a few drops of acid to lower it to 6 because it has verry little carbonate in it( carbonate= it is called buffer).
But if your tap water has a ph of 7,5 but a blot of buffer in it then you will need the juice of a whole lemon to lower it to 6 for that bucket .
Essential to know: the more buffer( carbonate) is in the water,the more acid you need to lower the ph.
Lemons are also a verry expensive way to lower the ph of the water.
When you hear people that say they use citric acid to lower the  ph of the water,they use synthetic citric acid,the soo called lemmon salt ( wich is not a salt but an organic acid made synthetical and in the form of crystals like table sugar).
Get a ph meter with a glass probe ( not the junk ones advertised to be usef for plants) measure the ph and use vinegar because its better than lemons and also cheaper.
Adjust acordingly after.
Best solution is to use sulphur but takes long time to lower the ph that way.
Another solution for the water,the best solution by now,is to use wood vinnegar or liquid smoke as its called or pyroligneous acid wich consists of humic and fulvic acids.It usually costs @ 5-10 dollars a litter and lasts a long way but its verry hard to find in western countryes,mainly asians are using it.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:26:42 PM »
Hi SeaWalnut,

Thank you for your input.  I guess you agreed with the method but not how I did it. 

I don't want to install a carbonate filter on my hose, high maintenance.  I filled up the 25 gal with tap water and let it sit for 24 hour will have the same result with carbonate filter installed. 

Lemon is not an issue for me.  I have a tree in my yard produce fruits non stop.  I don't know what to do with the fruits, too much.  Now, I can optimize the usage them.  Maybe I used too much of them in it but adding lemon to the water will lower the PH is sustainable for me.  I prefer max out the usage all the stuff I have with out waste. 

I should get a PH meter to measure the PH level on the water every time before I water the tree.

Thank you,
Al
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:29:32 PM by pinkturtle »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:47:37 PM »
Hi Al,
 I live in LA and also have a Jaboticaba from Champa. I got it as a 3 gallon about 2 years ago. Since the beginning, I water it with tap water, and I just spread some soil acidifier for camelia on the pot. Once a week (if I remember), I dilute the fish/kelp emulsion to water it. My Jabo grew fast and very happy, they like overwatering, and don't mind city tap water. 3 months ago we moved (still in LA area), and I left the Jabo in the pot in the old house without water for a month. It stressed out and drop most of its leaves, then I put it in ground in the new house. 12+ hours of sun, no protection, tap water only, the jabo comes back to life sprouting new leaves. It is strange that this Jabo seems pretty hardy and not as sensitive as I thought. My sapodilla on the other hand always needs fish emulsion solution to stay healthy (fish emulsion lower the water's PH). I am a clumsy beginner gardener, but so far my jabo looks fine with a little care.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:49:06 PM »
pinkturtle,

I use whole house GAC filter from Lowe's to get rid of chlorine and chloramine from municipal water. It is rated for 600,000 gallons. It has 3/4" inlet and outlet and very easy to install before irrigation line.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Single-Stage-7-GPM-GAC-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System/1000559417

Here is my recently transplanted Jabo from a 15 gal pot.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 12:01:04 AM »
Hi palingkecil,
thank you for the info.  I didn't know can use fish emulsion for jab.  I add Holly tone as Adam recommended.

Hi hawkfish,
Nice tree. 
How old is your tree? 
Did you get any fruit from it?

I think growing the jab in LA county is not an issue, but fruiting will be.  It is too dry here.  That is why I move the water container closer to the jab tree, hope the water vapor help a little for the dry weather here and I spray filter water twice a day, morning and evening.

I hope some pro grower around the area can share some fruiting tips here.

Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:06:43 AM by pinkturtle »

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:08:09 AM »
I am not sure about the age of the tree, I bought it as a 15 gal from Champa this January when they were on sale for $80 or $90. Watering should not be an issue, I could set the drip irrigation line to water it whatever many hours it needs per day. Hoping it will flower soon.

Edit: I killed 2 of my 15 gal Jabos by over watering during winter. I left the pots on saucer with water and it made the soil anaerobic.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:11:58 AM by hawkfish007 »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:13:09 AM »
Someone told me that the length of the biggest trunk x 2 is the age of the tree.  $90 is very good deal for that tree, look beautiful.  You got me go visit champ this weekend.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 12:31:07 AM »
I have a bunch of jaboticabas and they do fine on our water, just make sure they get plenty of it and that you have provided them with the correct soil ph. I also have fruited many of them without issue. Just picked some Crown 1 hybrid fruits tonight.

-Chris

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 01:04:06 AM »
Hi Chris,

That is an encouragement.

Here is the seedling I got it from you, it is still surviving.  When I got it from you, I don't know what is jaboticaba is.  You turn me on and Adam me got collecting.  So far, I still not able to try any of the fruit. 

Thanks,
Al

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:12:44 AM by pinkturtle »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
Another alternative to growing Jaboticabas in SoCal is to graft them onto Sahara rootstock. By doing this, I don’t even have to acidify my soil. Sabara seems to adapt well to our soils and does not Si her as much as the red Hybrid. From what I have observed, Jaboticabas can Fruit fine in low humidity areas as long as they get enough water.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 02:48:06 PM »
Thanks for info Simon. 

I am trying to improve the growing environment here, and hope the tree will be fruit faster. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:31:46 PM by pinkturtle »

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 01:37:21 AM »
Al, what size container was that Jaboticaba in when I sold it to you? It looks like Plinia aureana (White Jaboticaba) but I have different varieties. Just let me know and I will tell you. They are super slow growers, don't expect fruit for the next 7-8 years...unless you graft them. Good luck
-Chris

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 02:38:32 AM »
Al, what size container was that Jaboticaba in when I sold it to you? It looks like Plinia aureana (White Jaboticaba) but I have different varieties. Just let me know and I will tell you. They are super slow growers, don't expect fruit for the next 7-8 years...unless you graft them. Good luck

It was in a 1gal when you sold to me.  I repotted it to a 5 gal about month ago.  I don't know what variety it is because at that time I have no idea what jaboticaba is.  Even you told me what it is and I won't remembered it.  You told me it is rare and I brought it from you.   

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 03:19:42 PM »
You don't need any lemon. Left outside, sun or no sun the chlorine dissipates into the air. Though sunshine and heat will accelerate the process. One day's exposure will do the trick.

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 03:27:28 PM »
You don't need any lemon. Left outside, sun or no sun the chlorine dissipates into the air. Though sunshine and heat will accelerate the process. One day's exposure will do the trick.
Do you need to stir the water during the day (especially if it is in a deep barrel) or it will dissipate even without beeing stirred ?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
Do you need to stir the water during the day (especially if it is in a deep barrel) or it will dissipate even without beeing stirred ?

I was thinking of that/stirring but did not post it. The answer has to be yes and especially for a deep barrel. Logic says so. Use a long piece of old lumber or a boat oar.  :) Twice a day.

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 03:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the addditional information.
I am wondering, which has the most damaging effect on the plants in tap water : Chlorine or excessive TDS (or salts)
Let's say if the total damage of the tap water is 100 %, how much each factor has , 50/50? 25/75?
I know the answer cannot be accurate, but i am wondering if removing the chlorine from tap water can be an acceptable alternative to collected rain water.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
If your water have chloramine  like mine, aeration won't help.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »
Hi Chris,

I found a plant label hidden behind the pot.  It said Plinia phitrantha costada.

Thanks,
Al

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 10:04:14 PM »
I guess my tree like it.  Look at bark is peeling.  Per Adam, that is good.

anonymous pictures website

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »
Looking good pinkturtle,

as many people have mentioned the chlorine can be removed fairly easily many ways (heat, sun, time etc.)

Chloramines on the other hand are much more stable and difficult to remove from the tap water-

https://dpw.lacounty.gov/wwd/web/Documents/Water%20Quality%20Reports/Chloramines%20FAQs%202013-12-16.PDF

This seems to indicate chloramines are used in LA starting in 2013

I know in the saltwater aquarium trade we use products similar to this one to bind and neutralize chloramines as well as chlorine.

https://www.chewy.com/seachem-prime-marine-freshwater/dp/131192?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Seachem&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZj2BRDVARIsABs3l9IENXRSMrSBA8UvzCFklsbW3FcRVjWQHEw0--2YIOeFWAheKhaQDfUaAubeEALw_wcB

As far as I can tell from the smell, it is a sulfur based compound which shouldn't have any adverse effects on the plants in these quantities.