Author Topic: Bees or Wasps on Myrtaceae  (Read 929 times)

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Bees or Wasps on Myrtaceae
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:10:50 AM »
This month I noticed some bees or wasps hanging out on the new growth of my feijoas. Then on Eugenia calycina, and now primarily on red jaboticaba. I can't see any bugs or eggs they'd be eating. It seems like they just like these plants for some reason. I just saw four of them sleeping on my red jaboticaba. I could understand they might pick a favorite plant and call it home, but multiple plants all from the same family? Anybody have an explanation?

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Bees or Wasps on Myrtaceae
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »
ME TOO!  It is terrible this week they love my red jaboticabas.  They have been just crawling up and down them.  Took out one hive on my red jabo but they keep coming back anyway.  They fly from red jaboticaba to grumichama and back all day, avoiding all other trees nearby.  Hate wasps

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »
What?! I love wasps! They eat pests like aphids. I also have jumping spiders that hang out on certain plants. I always thank them for protecting my plants so diligently.

The wasps have been on yours this week more than before as well? It only started for me a few weeks ago. I wonder if it could be some chemical Myrtaceae emit during certain times of the year.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »
They look more like some kind of bee to me.
Here's a description of the different types.
You can see which type you think it may bee!

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/how-identify-different-types-bees

Kevin Jones

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 02:37:58 PM »
What?! I love wasps! They eat pests like aphids. I also have jumping spiders that hang out on certain plants. I always thank them for protecting my plants so diligently.

The wasps have been on yours this week more than before as well? It only started for me a few weeks ago. I wonder if it could be some chemical Myrtaceae emit during certain times of the year.

yeah the more bees and wasps the better.
certian wasps control aphids and other bad insects and bees are excellent pollinators.

its spring time... birds and bees and all that...

i have jumping spiders on my Myers Lemon. love them. They trap and eat aphids, leaf miners, and that damn chinese bug that attacks citrus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk