Author Topic: Anthracnose treatment large tree  (Read 1925 times)

ttriana

• Miami
    • View Profile
Anthracnose treatment large tree
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
I have a large Kent mango tree in my backyard. I understand that a I can use copper fungicide to control Anthracnose. Right now the tree is about 7 feet. But once it gets to 25ft or more how do I continue to treat it? I live in Miami if that helps.

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
Re: Anthracnose treatment large tree
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:49:36 AM »
i have yet to find an economical and practical way to maintain tall mango tree.
And there isnt any fungicide against anthracnose that has plantwide systemicity(xylem systemicity).
For that very reason,  I prune and bend the scaffold branches to prevent the tree from getting more than 10 feet tall, or at least try to delay it.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »
Heritage DF50 will take care of that mango tree beautifully. Has curative properties, is systemic, and alternating with another non copper fungicide only once per season, meaning 2 0n - 1off - 2 on, will get you through the season. It will last and gives you about 3 weeks worth of protection also. Just know it is pricey but lasts quite awhile, e bay or Amazon may have a deal for it.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
My Kent is about 25' tall and treating for Anthracnose became a problem. I started using a
combination of Pentra-Bark and Plant Doctor Organicide for the past 3 years and have not
had any issues since. I spray the trunk a couple of times before it blooms and one time after.
Michael

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
Nice. 

What works on Kent should work on most varieties.
Har

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:39 AM »

Hi experts, could you help me to identify whether this is anthracnose?  I am seeing this on nearly all of my fruit trees.  I am hesitate to use copper cuz it burns.  I am picking off these leaves as I see the symptom.  What is the recommended treatment?  Thanks

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

Heritage is a wide-spectrum fungicide in the strobilurin  group. It is only locally systemic, which means it does not travel far from the absorption site. Very Expensive and highly effective against anthracnose. However, it is also very prone to resistance if abused. I do not think spraying it onto a 25ft tree with a blast sprayer would be very economical.

Plant Doctor Organicide is in the phosphonate group (fosetyl-Al etc). It is truly systemic which means you could drench the root with it and it will travel to all parts of the trees. Very effective if you are dealing with oomycetes fungi but it's effectiveness on anthracnose is only acceptable.

Please read :
https://www.gcsaa.org/uploadedfiles/course/pests-and-diseases/diseases/anthracnose/managing-anthracnose-with-fungicides.pdf

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
Are there any "fruiting bodies" (tiny mushrooms) on those dark spots on the cherimoya leaves?  If not, it may be sunburn, burn from use of Neem oil or other oil in hot weather.
Har

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
Are there any "fruiting bodies" (tiny mushrooms) on those dark spots on the cherimoya leaves?  If not, it may be sunburn, burn from use of Neem oil or other oil in hot weather.

there are no "fruiting bodies" around.  it's so random.  I am seeing this on couple of leaves here and there on my avocado, atemoya, guava, longan as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk