Author Topic: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?  (Read 28435 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:58:44 AM »
My Carrie is dropping and I am eating. Not many so far but real ripeness should be 7-10 days. I know a fruit tree is getting into the big ripeness zone when it drops a few. Critter took a few bites of one Carrie which means more ripe fruits coming v soon
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:57:17 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: My first legitimate mango of 2015 is Carrie. And yours is?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »
My Carrie is dropping and I am eating. Not many so far but real ripeness should be 7-10 days. I know a fruit tree is getting into the big ripeness zone when it drops a few. Critter took a few bites of one Carrie which means more ripe fruits coming v soon

Carrie, legitimate??  I think not...   ;)  8) hahaha
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:14:05 AM »
My condolences to the squirrel who thought he was biting into a delicious mango. At the moment his squirrelly teeth bit down I bet he was wishing for some of Adam's plaster of Paris to put him out of his misery.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
First drop that had adequate flavor - Coconut Cream.  I ate it yesterday and it was fantastic.   

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »
"My first legitimate mango of 2015 is Carrie. And yours is?"

Nada, zip, zero!! All my mangoes are still between grape to golfsize and if I have 20+ between 6 trees I would consider myself lucky  ::) ??? :o :'(

Enjoy your Carrie...I'm not a fan of that mango either. but, I do know I'm in the minority when it comes to them  ;) 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »
My condolences to the squirrel who thought he was biting into a delicious mango. At the moment his squirrelly teeth bit down I bet he was wishing for some of Adam's plaster of Paris to put him out of his misery.
Carrie, legitimate??  I think not...   ;)  8) hahaha

Haters gonna hate! As far as I am concerned Carrie rates far above all new Zill mangoes except possibly the peach cobbler

Carrie according to Alex-Squam who put this up in wikipedia
The original tree was grown on the property of Laurence H. Zill in Boynton Beach, Florida and was reportedly a seedling of the 'Sophie Fry' mango. A pedigree analysis of the Florida mangoes conducted in 2005 that did not include 'Sophie Fry' in the study found 'Julie' to be the most likely parent,[1] though 'Julie' is also the parent of 'Sophie Fry'. The 'Carrie' tree was named after Lawrence Zill's mother, Carrie Zill.[2] It first fruited in 1940[3] and commercial propagation began in 1949. Thereafter 'Carrie' gained a reputation for having excellent eating qualities and good disease resistance.[4] Its commercial application was limited due to the fruit's lack of color and soft flesh, but it became a popular dooryard variety in Florida.

'Carrie' trees are planted in the collections of the USDA's germplasm repository in Miami, Florida,[5][6] the University of Florida's Tropical Research and Education Center in Homestead, Florida,[7] and the Miami-Dade Fruit and Spice Park,[8] also in Homestead.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:27 AM »
"My first legitimate mango of 2015 is Carrie. And yours is?"

Nada, zip, zero!! All my mangoes are still between grape to golfsize and if I have 20+ between 6 trees I would consider myself lucky  ::) ??? :o :'(

Enjoy your Carrie...I'm not a fan of that mango either. but, I do know I'm in the minority when it comes to them  ;)

Nancy, don't feel bad I'll have my first one in August😒

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
Quote -  "My first legitimate mango of 2015 is Carrie. And yours is?"

Store bought Tommy Atkins from Mexico ..... absolutely delicious  ??? 8) :o ::) :P

Congrats Zands, Carrie is a delicious mango when eaten/ picked at the right time. As long as your taste buds enjoys it ...that's all that matters . Everyone has  different preferences that's what makes the world interesting !

Mike...in the desert

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »
Pickering almost done with a couple, probably need to remove them in the next day or two and let them ripen in the kitchen. Cogshall close behind. Mallika needs few more weeks, as does NDM's crop from its second flush (the first few dropped/split) -- mid-June, I'd guess. Graham's are smaller still, about golf-ball size; Neelam further behind.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
I just got some mangos from a friend of a friend (who also happened to give me harvest rights to a jackfruit tree she does not like in exchange for pruning it after season.  ;D) She has huge mango tree, could not tell you the variety, but it was delish and better than the mango I had yesterday (NONE!)  Little fiber and sweet. Immature fruit that dropped but they are ripening.  And she does not like mango either  ;D said I can take as many as I want whenever I come check on the jackfruit.  Best fruit tree.................those at someone elses house LOL

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »

"Nancy, don't feel bad I'll have my first one in August😒"

Joe, you are definitely much later than me  :(...but look on the bright side, when everyone's mangoes are done you're just starting...not a bad thing to look forward to  ;D

As far as store bought mangoes...that's all I have to look forward to also, maybe I'll find a few locally grown (from South FL ) in our produce stands soon  8)

I would like to try another Carrie (picked at the right time) but there's no one around here that has a tree...so all I have to go by is my memory from many years ago...and they were not good. I'm sure there was issues with the timing of the picking...

There is no such thing as a bad mango as long as you like them!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
Cool! I wonder how close the biggest coco cream on my tree is to ripening.

Alexi

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »
I just got some mangos from a friend of a friend (who also happened to give me harvest rights to a jackfruit tree she does not like in exchange for pruning it after season.  ;D) She has huge mango tree, could not tell you the variety, but it was delish and better than the mango I had yesterday (NONE!)  Little fiber and sweet. Immature fruit that dropped but they are ripening.  And she does not like mango either  ;D said I can take as many as I want whenever I come check on the jackfruit.  Best fruit tree.................those at someone elses house LOL

Please post a picture of the mango from your friend. People on this forum could help you identify the mango variety.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:43:26 PM by RichardN »
RichardN

fisherking73

• View Profile
Re: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Will do. Thought about it, but figured since it was kinda young fruit drop that matured would be hard to ID since not full grown fruit.  The ones on the tree have that beautiful purple shoulders, ones on the green red and yellow.  Will post pics here in a bit.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
These are the ones.  ID would be great, but not necessary as they are yummy, and I have no room for more mango trees lol   These were drops, about size of palm, some fruit on tree significantly bigger, maybe twice as big. Not a bad start to the season, decent tasting and FREE

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »

Tough to say.  I believe the CC drop I ate was premature.  Still incredibly tasty but I don't think it was 100%.  A couple more drops today that also look like early drops.  I'll see how they ripen up...

The larger individuals on the tree don't look like they'll be ready any time soon, but who knows.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
First mango to maturity at my house, surprisingly, and unusually was PPK (Lemon Meringue).  Have had them now for about 1 1/2 weeks.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 05:47:31 PM »
So envious of you all enjoying mangoes already. This mango season seems to be late to very late in my yard.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »

For best results, you will want to wait till it gets 25% or so (the more the better) of a cream/yellow blush/coloration.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »

For best results, you will want to wait till it gets 25% or so (the more the better) of a cream/yellow blush/coloration.

Cool. Thanks Rob.
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »

Tough to say.  I believe the CC drop I ate was premature.  Still incredibly tasty but I don't think it was 100%.  A couple more drops today that also look like early drops.  I'll see how they ripen up...

The larger individuals on the tree don't look like they'll be ready any time soon, but who knows.

Yeah, I have one in the kitchen which is green but large and plump. It was on a small branch which just  peeled off in front of my face during a mild gust of wind. I'll see if it becomes edible at least. I know it won't be 100 percent.
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »
Let these drops, or any other mangoes picked, ripen in a room where temps are that of outside temps such ss a screened in porch, balcony, garage, etc.  Mangoes will ripen best where the temps are similar to outdoor temps.   Sitting in the Air conditioning on a counter will not allow the fruit to ripen properly.   While not as cold as the fridge, it will cause a similar effect in that it will delay/hamper ripening by geing in the Air conditioning.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »
Let these drops, or any other mangoes picked, ripen in a room where temps are that of outside temps such ss a screened in porch, balcony, garage, etc.  Mangoes will ripen best where the temps are similar to outdoor temps.   Sitting in the Air conditioning on a counter will not allow the fruit to ripen properly.   While not as cold as the fridge, it will cause a similar effect in that it will delay/hamper ripening by geing in the Air conditioning.

Mine was in the kitchen for 4 days and is still as green and hard as when it first fell. I just put it outside in the screen enclosure. Thanks for the tip!
Alexi

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
Gonna have to build some sort of protectvie box to keep the mice away to ripen them outside.  VERY curious to see the difference in ripening after YEARS of just letting them sit on the kitchen counter.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 07:47:02 PM »
Gonna have to build some sort of protectvie box to keep the mice away to ripen them outside.  VERY curious to see the difference in ripening after YEARS of just letting them sit on the kitchen counter.

they will ripen much faster.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk