Author Topic: Kwai Muk  (Read 23538 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Kwai Muk
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
I don't to bring the haus down but I would have to disagree with that quote in that good ones are better than marang. They also have a way higher amount of flesh in fact I struggled to get enough seeds to send to a few chums from the last batch I had. Chempadaks are not all good as they vary so much. Let me dig up a pic.

These 2 are good types but tasted totally different.

Yes i agree with Mike, kwai muk is in the minor leagues, and marang is in major leagues when it comes to fruit quality. My guess is that Harry, living in Florida, has tasted lots of kwai muk, but very few marangs. It's also possible that in Florida, due to their climate and soils, marangs don't produce at their flavor peak.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »
Was looking at the Kwai Muk today , cut a small branch , no latex ...I could be wrong but I don't think this can be grafted on Jack.

BMc , did you propagate them from cuttings , can we have a little more info ? Otherwise I gotta start planting all the seeds to graft on , I really would like to have a second tree
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
I don't to bring the haus down but I would have to disagree with that quote in that good ones are better than marang. They also have a way higher amount of flesh in fact I struggled to get enough seeds to send to a few chums from the last batch I had. Chempadaks are not all good as they vary so much. Let me dig up a pic.

Yes i agree with Mike, kwai muk is in the minor leagues, and marang is in major leagues when it comes to fruit quality. My guess is that Harry, living in Florida, has tasted lots of kwai muk, but very few marangs. It's also possible that in Florida, due to their climate and soils, marangs don't produce at their flavor peak.

Actually I have never had a Florida grown marang.  To my knowledge, no one has ever fruited one here.   All the marang that I have had have been in Puerto Rico.  I have had it in multiple years and at several different farms.  This last trip we had it at three different farms, I believe.  Clearly this is a fruit that is better less ripe as opposed to more ripe.  And, perhaps Puerto Rican marang are not as good as marang grown else where?  I doubt that this so as the other Asian fruits we have eaten from Puerto Rico were excellent and based upon the comments of others more experienced in eating Asian fruits than I am, these Asian fruits in Puerto Rico do not suffer from any soil insufficiency nor climate inadequacy.  I suppose it is possible that I could eat a Hawaiian marang and change my opinion, but I doubt it. I will proudly hang with the minority on this one.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
Was looking at the Kwai Muk today , cut a small branch , no latex ...I could be wrong but I don't think this can be grafted on Jack.

BMc , did you propagate them from cuttings , can we have a little more info ? Otherwise I gotta start planting all the seeds to graft on , I really would like to have a second tree

I thought Felipe posted pics of Kwai muk grafted on jak?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »
I didn't express myself very well in my last comments and I meant to say I prefer kwai muk to marangs but both are variable and kwai muk has a better flesh yield. Good commercial marangs tend to have less savoury and herbal overtones and are more fruit 'salady'.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »

Where was that Adam ? Got plenty of jacks to graft on and I think it is a good time now while there is still a lot of humidity .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:23 PM »

That may have been me; I had a nursery in Hakalau many years ago, and I did propagate kwai muk. I recall that the fruits were golf ball sized, and quite tasty IMO. All the trees I had were seed grown, from an introduction by Dr Franklin Martin.

I tried the fruit at one of our newer member's place -- Hawaiibotanist.44.  Perhaps his kwai muk could be traced back to your plants.  I think most of his plants go back about 7 years ago when he was building the place.  The fruit was tasty and a good size for snacking so I will probably find room for a tree in my planting.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »

Actually I have never had a Florida grown marang.  To my knowledge, no one has ever fruited one here.   All the marang that I have had have been in Puerto Rico.  I have had it in multiple years and at several different farms.  This last trip we had it at three different farms, I believe.  Clearly this is a fruit that is better less ripe as opposed to more ripe.  And, perhaps Puerto Rican marang are not as good as marang grown else where?  I doubt that this so as the other Asian fruits we have eaten from Puerto Rico were excellent and based upon the comments of others more experienced in eating Asian fruits than I am, these Asian fruits in Puerto Rico do not suffer from any soil insufficiency nor climate inadequacy.  I suppose it is possible that I could eat a Hawaiian marang and change my opinion, but I doubt it. I will proudly hang with the minority on this one.

They have favorable soil and climate in PR for production of marang, but they could also be lacking high quality selected types. There is a lot of variation from marang tree to tree, and almost all trees are seedlings. In your case i'm guessing the reason you don't care for marang is probably just the "Harry gag factor".  ;)
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »

Hi Luc, sorry I don't have much more info. Daleys sell a cutting grown cv called Richmond. So it can be grown from cutting but I don't have more info. They flower first year from rooting and flower heavily for 4 years before setting fruit.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 01:08:33 AM »

I think what he posted was A. lakoocha on jack?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 06:47:54 AM »

Lakoocha on jackfruit:

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2013, 06:51:18 AM »
I suspect that the species could be a bit far removed from each other for the tree to lead a long and productive life but you never know.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »
thanks Ethan and Felipe! 

seems like Kwai muk might work if lakoocha works!

Lakoocha on jackfruit:

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »
Had the last fruits today , skin and all like Bryan Brunner suggested , only 3 developed seeds per fruit . I am happy....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
Now if we could graft marang onto kwai Muk rootstock. Everytime my dirt gets cold and wet my marang seedlings die! Kwaimuk is a tough plant and much easier to grow for me!

Ed

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
I have a Kwai Muk next to my house that I need to cut down.  It is about 20 feet tall and about 18 inches in diameter.  If anyone wants to prune it, uplift it and take it, its yours.  :)

You will need chainsaws, backhoes and a way to transport it to its new location!
Adiel

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
Sorry for the confusion, when I mentioned "next to my house", it is inside my property.  I own the tree.
Adiel

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »
Tasted Kwai muk finally!

I give it a very very high score!!!  the flavor reminded me grapefruit (no bitterness) and mango!

the inside of the fruit reminded me of annona, except slightly more fiber...very soft, extremely tasty...about the size of a dinner roll.

was with a group of about 4 people who tasted this for the first time, and everyone loved this fruit
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »
Tasted Kwai muk finally!

I give it a very very high score!!!  the flavor reminded me grapefruit (no bitterness) and mango!

the inside of the fruit reminded me of annona, except slightly more fiber...very soft, extremely tasty...about the size of a dinner roll.

was with a group of about 4 people who tasted this for the first time, and everyone loved this fruit

I also tasted it for the first time recently and was equally impressed. My thoughts were jackfruit/guava/fig. Complex and sweet (the "fig" attribute was suggested by HMHausman and I think it fits).
My only regret is that the skin is hard to get out of the way and the fruits (at least that I had) are small.

But definitely a fan!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 12:11:23 AM »
It sounds very tasty! Kwai Muk may need to be grafted to be grown in a pot. I had a 6ft tall Kwai Muk (from seed) in a large pot and it didn't grow very well.

Tomas

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »
kwai muk vary quite a bit in size, taste and internal color.They are one of the better artocarpus and tolerate cool conditions well.There is a big difference between good and poor selections in terms of fruit quality.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »
All my Kwai Muk aborted this year and also all Raul's he must have had over 500 on this tree . Too warm ???
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
All my Kwai Muk aborted this year and also all Raul's he must have had over 500 on this tree . Too warm ???

doubt it was too warm, the tree I saw was in the keys.

loaded with fruit....about 30ft tall.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
I need to find a spot to plant a 4ft Kwai Muk I have. It has been waiting in a container ready to go for the last year. How does Kwai Muk perform in part shade?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
Kwai muk should be able to handle temps temps that are high like at least 45c.It is prolonged low humdity and dry wind while not getting enough water that should be the biggest problem.